Kick Panel 5.25" Seal/Dynamat question - BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com
BMW Forum BMW Forum

» Auto Insurance

» Featured Product
» Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com > General Category > Audio and Electronics
Register Home Forum Active Topics Gallery / Showroom Auto Loans Garage Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Auto EscrowInsurance

Audio and Electronics The place to go to discuss sound systems and show off your I.C.E. along with security systems and radar detectors too!

BimmerWerkz.com is the premier BMW Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-01-2009, 01:35 PM   #1 (permalink)
n00b

Car: 1995 325is
Photos:
mcasemo is on a distinguished road
Kick Panel 5.25" Seal/Dynamat question

Hi,

I'm upgrading the stock (10 speaker, non-HK) system in my e36 (1995 325is coupe). I have 2-way CDT components for the front (5.25" EF-51, with TW-25 Pro Tweeters), then some CDT 6x9's for the rear with the 6x9 adapters. New amp too.

While waiting for the rest of the drivers and adapters, I installed the 5.25" drivers in the kick panels while keeping the rest of the stock system in place. The nokia's are 4 ohm there, so didn't thing dropping these in with the existing setup would be a problem. I'm a novice with this stuff, buy have tried to read up as much as I can here.

The issues is the bass from the CDT's sound pretty muddy (not sure if that's the right term) compared to the nokias. The stock setup has black foam rubber cups in place, and I'm wonder if there is an issue with sealing here. I thought I could just drop them in place, but maybe not. Can the issue here be improper sealing? Any advice is appreciated.

Here is the black foam rubber cups in place.

Here it is removed

Sheet metal behind the cups

Nokia and CDT drivers

And the CDT driver in place (passenger and driver side)
mcasemo is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-01-2009, 07:14 PM   #2 (permalink)
da_administrator

Car: Its slow, gotta M20 in it
Photos:
da_bull has a reputation beyond reputeda_bull has a reputation beyond reputeda_bull has a reputation beyond reputeda_bull has a reputation beyond reputeda_bull has a reputation beyond reputeda_bull has a reputation beyond reputeda_bull has a reputation beyond reputeda_bull has a reputation beyond reputeda_bull has a reputation beyond reputeda_bull has a reputation beyond reputeda_bull has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via MSN to da_bull
If the front and back of the speaker can "see" each others air space, it can lose a LOT of bass response making it sound muddy. Your factory speakers dont require much power and your aftermarkets may require more than the stock setup has to offer. Between both of these issues may lie your problem. Also are you sure you have the left and right in phase with each other (positives and negatives correct from side to side)

-There are 10 kinds of people. Those who understand binary, and those who do not.

-If we ever forget that we are One Nation Under God, then we will be a nation gone under...Ronald Reagan
da_bull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2009, 08:38 PM   #3 (permalink)
n00b

Car: 1995 325is
Photos:
mcasemo is on a distinguished road
I have the polarity correct. CDT's are marked, and just checked the nokias using a c battery and the "pop test". The larger terminal on both is positive.

I wonder if I need to lose the stock "sound deadening" pieces and do something like this.
mcasemo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2009, 03:29 PM   #4 (permalink)
n00b

Car: 2000/BMW/530iM
Photos:
Hewi is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcasemo View Post
I have the polarity correct. CDT's are marked, and just checked the nokias using a c battery and the "pop test". The larger terminal on both is positive.

I wonder if I need to lose the stock "sound deadening" pieces and do something like this.
Yes that would be much better because the volyme in the original cup is much too small för your cdt speakers that are build to work playing out in a whole door and as da_bull said its wery importent that the sealing is 100% also the speaker must have a steady mounting surface that wont vibrate with the speaker.
Advertisement

BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com > General Category > Audio and Electronics