Just A Couple Questions - BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com
Audio and Electronics The place to go to discuss sound systems and show off your I.C.E. along with security systems and radar detectors too!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
#1 (permalink) Old 03-29-2005, 07:36 PM
Neutral Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
BMWspeedracer is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via AIM to BMWspeedracer Send a message via MSN to BMWspeedracer
(Thread Starter)
Thumbs up

basically, I bought the infinity reference series components for up front, and was

wondering if its absolutely necessary to use the crossover box they give you, I

just don't see a reason for it. There is pos and neg for the tweeter, and pos and

neg the the regular speaker, why the need for the crossover?

which leads to the next question...my passenger side is not sending anything to

the tweeter wire, but the speaker wire is working fine(I tested it on the tweeter

too, and the tweeter is fine, so it's defeinitely the tweeter wire) is there anything I

can do to fix this??? And if not, would it actually be possible to slice the speaker

wire and put it in the crossover box, and connect it to both the tweeter and the

speaker???

My apologies for not making this shorter, but I wanted to make it as clear as
possible, but I really do appreciate any responses, thanks a lot. I hope I dont
have to just go to an electrical place.

Former Nissan 240sx owner...

Now BMW owner...

and not missing the 240 too much
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 (permalink) Old 03-29-2005, 09:44 PM
da_administrator

da_bull has a reputation beyond repute da_bull has a reputation beyond repute da_bull has a reputation beyond repute da_bull has a reputation beyond repute da_bull has a reputation beyond repute da_bull has a reputation beyond repute da_bull has a reputation beyond repute da_bull has a reputation beyond repute da_bull has a reputation beyond repute da_bull has a reputation beyond repute da_bull has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via MSN to da_bull
Quote:
Originally posted by BMWspeedracer@Mar 29 2005, 07:36 PM
basically, I bought the infinity reference series components for up front, and was
wondering if its absolutely necessary to use the crossover box they give you, I
just don't see a reason for it. There is pos and neg for the tweeter, and pos and
neg the the regular speaker, why the need for the crossover?
which leads to the next question...my passenger side is not sending anything to
the tweeter wire, but the speaker wire is working fine(I tested it on the tweeter
too, and the tweeter is fine, so it's defeinitely the tweeter wire) is there anything I
can do to fix this??? And if not, would it actually be possible to slice the speaker
wire and put it in the crossover box, and connect it to both the tweeter and the
speaker???

My apologies for not making this shorter, but I wanted to make it as clear as
possible, but I really do appreciate any responses, thanks a lot. I hope I dont
have to just go to an electrical place.
[snapback]321193[/snapback]
The crossover is designed to protect your tweeters and the midrange. Every speaker has a range of frequencies it plays the best. Infinity (and everyone else) spends countless hours finding out what frequencies each speaker performs the best. The crossover is designed to force the speaker to play those freq. Without the crossovers, the speakers will play EVERY frequency, something it isnt designed to do. This lowers the power handling of that speaker ten-fold. The xover may make the tweeter sound like it isnt working because it is only playing a very minute amount of frequencies. This is what it is supposed to play. If you hear absolutely no sound, try swapping the xover box as you may have a bad one. Uncommon that this happens, but it does sometimes. Good Luck...

-There are 10 kinds of people. Those who understand binary, and those who do not.

-If we ever forget that we are One Nation Under God, then we will be a nation gone under...Ronald Reagan
#3 (permalink) Old 03-30-2005, 09:17 AM
Neutral Member

(Thread Starter)
well, I haven't actually tried the crossover box yet, but the wire coming from the car is what I was saying isn't working.

So when I connect the tweeter to the wire coming from the car, there is no sound, but I connect the tweeter to the wire that goes to the regular speaker, and I hear something, so the tweeter definitely works. Any ideas on why that is? I'm having similar problems in the back left speaker, no signal or power is being sent.

Any ideas?

Now BMW owner...

#4 (permalink) Old 03-30-2005, 10:23 PM
1st Gear Member

1980 BMW 323is is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via AIM to 1980 BMW 323is Send a message via Yahoo to 1980 BMW 323is
Too me if you are just using a stock head unit or an aftermarket head unit you do not need the crossover. The crossover, like what da bull said, is to protect the tweeter and mid-range speakers. To me the crossover is only needed if you have an amp in your system
#5 (permalink) Old 03-31-2005, 05:21 PM
da_administrator

da_bull has a reputation beyond repute da_bull has a reputation beyond repute da_bull has a reputation beyond repute da_bull has a reputation beyond repute da_bull has a reputation beyond repute da_bull has a reputation beyond repute da_bull has a reputation beyond repute da_bull has a reputation beyond repute da_bull has a reputation beyond repute da_bull has a reputation beyond repute da_bull has a reputation beyond repute
The midrange would probably be ok, but the tweeters really need some sort of protection, as they dont handle much power anyways and by forcing them to play a full range of sounds (bass, midrange, tweeter, and they WILL try to play those even though you cant hear bass from a tweeter) the power handling drops considerably.

As far as your factory wires not giving you any sound, and I am assuming you have the fader/balance in the center, you may have some bad outputs.

I am also assuming the factory speakers didnt have any sound either. If they do, you dont have the speaker hooked up correctly.

What you may be running into is that the factory amplifier that is designed for that factory tweeter has a x-over already. You may have to listen REALLY close to be able to hear it. Hope that helps....

-There are 10 kinds of people. Those who understand binary, and those who do not.

-If we ever forget that we are One Nation Under God, then we will be a nation gone under...Ronald Reagan
#6 (permalink) Old 03-31-2005, 11:26 PM
Neutral Member

(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally posted by da_bull@Mar 31 2005, 07:21 PM
The midrange would probably be ok, but the tweeters really need some sort of protection, as they dont handle much power anyways and by forcing them to play a full range of sounds (bass, midrange, tweeter, and they WILL try to play those even though you cant hear bass from a tweeter) the power handling drops considerably.

As far as your factory wires not giving you any sound, and I am assuming you have the fader/balance in the center, you may have some bad outputs.

I am also assuming the factory speakers didnt have any sound either. If they do, you dont have the speaker hooked up correctly.

What you may be running into is that the factory amplifier that is designed for that factory tweeter has a x-over already. You may have to listen REALLY close to be able to hear it. Hope that helps....
[snapback]322447[/snapback]
yeah, the factory speakers didn't work either. So that means I have bad outputs, is there anything I can do to fix that? Probably something that needs to get checked out by an electrical place right?

thanks a lot da_bull. Your a great help, it seems not many members really come to the section, but you da man.

1980: thanks also for chiming in. Anything helps right about now

Now BMW owner...

#7 (permalink) Old 04-01-2005, 05:26 AM
da_administrator

No problem, thats what I do :P . You might have it checked out. On the other hand, I would probably look into other options, like an aftermarket headunit. Most new ones are inexpensive (compared to the repair of yours). They usually have more and better power than what the factory has to offer. It'll have more features.

The repair shops in my area only offer a 30 day warranty on "what they fix". What that means is, say you get your outputs fixed for $80. Not too bad, an affordable repair. You pay your $80 and everything works. Now, 6 months, 6 weeks, or even 6 days later, your FM tuner goes out. Another $80. Next week the CD player's laser goes bad...$120. You can see where this is going. Not any fault of the repair place, its just old electronics and they wear out.

A good aftermarket radio will cost you $200-300. You will have at least a year warranty if not 2-3. Pioneer's Premier series have a factory 2 year warranty and do a GREAT job. I've had mine for over 2 years now and without a hitch. MP3's, WMA's, built in x-overs, a LOT better CD player, more power, etc etc, all for the price of about 2-3 trips to the repair place. My 2 cents....

#8 (permalink) Old 04-01-2005, 11:10 AM
Neutral Member

(Thread Starter)
well yeah, I bought a new pioneer 6700mp, along with infinity reference components in the front, and infinity for the back. A lot of the stock speakers weren't working, so i figured maybe if I change the speakers, it would work, but it didn't, so I'll get the output fixed. thanks again.

Now BMW owner...

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com > General Category > Audio and Electronics