Ipod installed! - BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com
Audio and Electronics The place to go to discuss sound systems and show off your I.C.E. along with security systems and radar detectors too!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
#1 (permalink) Old 09-04-2004, 03:05 PM
2nd Gear Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Gulelin is an unknown quantity at this point
(Thread Starter)
I took my car in to get my all-seasons put on on thursday and they called and told me my I-pod adapter was in. I had to go buy an I-pod of course but installation wasn't bad. I think I paid about $300 total for the part and the install. It works freakin awesome, although I haven't had a chance to set up my playlists for the car yet. Only wierd thing is that like 2 times while I was driving the car just all the sudden stopped playing the ipod and didn't recognize it was plugged in anymore. If it happens again i'll call them, it works if you unplug it and plug it in again. Otherwise it's nuts to have 2500 songs in your glovebox

Titsilver metallic 2004 330 Xi 6speed manual
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 (permalink) Old 09-04-2004, 09:04 PM
You Can Has A Custom Title!!

007ben is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via AIM to 007ben Send a message via Yahoo to 007ben
try providing some padding for the ipod so it doesnt get moved around as much that could be messing up your connection.

but sounds badass..

I may get the alpine adapert when it comes out. then get an ipod of my own. or just start using my gfs.

2008 128i Jetblack
#3 (permalink) Old 09-07-2004, 04:40 PM
2nd Gear Member

(Thread Starter)
I put the I-pod in "hold" mode and it hasn't done that since.

#4 (permalink) Old 09-10-2004, 10:21 PM
n00b

BuLLet-TimE is an unknown quantity at this point
are the adapters for the ipod available for all models>?? in particular the 1994 e36 325is...or just newer models??
#5 (permalink) Old 09-11-2004, 02:54 PM
quality

Delmarco has a reputation beyond repute Delmarco has a reputation beyond repute Delmarco has a reputation beyond repute Delmarco has a reputation beyond repute Delmarco has a reputation beyond repute Delmarco has a reputation beyond repute Delmarco has a reputation beyond repute Delmarco has a reputation beyond repute Delmarco has a reputation beyond repute Delmarco has a reputation beyond repute Delmarco has a reputation beyond repute
Garage
Quote:
Originally posted by Gulelin@Sep 4 2004, 03:45 PM
I took my car in to get my all-seasons put on on thursday and they called and told me my I-pod adapter was in. I had to go buy an I-pod of course but installation wasn't bad. I think I paid about $300 total for the part and the install. It works freakin awesome, although I haven't had a chance to set up my playlists for the car yet. Only wierd thing is that like 2 times while I was driving the car just all the sudden stopped playing the ipod and didn't recognize it was plugged in anymore. If it happens again i'll call them, it works if you unplug it and plug it in again. Otherwise it's nuts to have 2500 songs in your glovebox
I got an Itrip for my Ipod. $30- no installation fee ands it work okay (not great) when the radio gets clear reception.

But where did they install it?

Are the controls it in your steering wheel like in the 2004 E46 cars? or is it just wired into your stereo?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	351024_8_full.jpg
Views:	47
Size:	49.9 KB
ID:	12046  

#6 (permalink) Old 09-11-2004, 05:40 PM
2nd Gear Member

(Thread Starter)
I'm not sure where the adapter itself is installed, but the I-pod plugs into the glovebox, and you control the i-pod through the head unit and the steering wheel.

#7 (permalink) Old 09-12-2004, 12:47 AM
n00b

BuLLet-TimE is an unknown quantity at this point
so will the ipod adapter work with older models? (94 325is)
#8 (permalink) Old 09-12-2004, 10:37 AM
You Can Has A Custom Title!!

007ben is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via AIM to 007ben Send a message via Yahoo to 007ben
no 2002 and newer. but alpine will have an adpator out soon for alpine head units aith AI net that will allow control of the ipod through the head unit,

2008 128i Jetblack
#9 (permalink) Old 09-12-2004, 11:55 AM
Defector

El Presidente is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via AIM to El Presidente
there is an adapter that will work with 96+ models. There are not, and as far as I know, will not, be any for >96. It is not made for IPODs, but to connect any device via aux inputs on the cd changer line.

<span style='color:gray'><span style='font-family:Courier'>1995 e36 3 Series RIP
1999 e46 3 Series BURN IN HELL
2000 MR-S Roadster= Current</span></span>
#10 (permalink) Old 09-17-2004, 01:36 PM
n00b

thised1 is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally posted by Gulelin@Sep 4 2004, 03:45 PM
... Only wierd thing is that like 2 times while I was driving the car just all the sudden stopped playing the ipod and didn't recognize it was plugged in anymore. If it happens again i'll call them, it works if you unplug it and plug it in again...
Apparently you are not the only one with this problem. I've started looking on different forum boards, and seems like it might be a common problem. I haven't experienced it myself up until this week. And already had it happened twice (this week)!
Some details surrounding my occurances:
Was only in the car driving for about 10 minutes. I am using 4th generation 20 gig Ipod. It appears that head unit just looses the ipod adapter, i.e. pushing Mode button switches between radio and in-dash CD. Turning off the stereo does not help.
Any help appreciated.
#11 (permalink) Old 09-18-2004, 01:22 PM
5th Gear Member

brien4787 is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via AIM to brien4787
I have a ipod case-type thing. I think it was called "skin" or somthing. It a whiteish-clear rubber thing I got from best buy. It was $20. I can put it on any flat surface in my car, and it won't move around.

!
#12 (permalink) Old 09-18-2004, 02:50 PM
Science Roolz!

SHAHAB323IS is a name known to all SHAHAB323IS is a name known to all SHAHAB323IS is a name known to all SHAHAB323IS is a name known to all SHAHAB323IS is a name known to all SHAHAB323IS is a name known to all
Send a message via AIM to SHAHAB323IS
for those with older cars just buy a tape adapter, costs like 5 bucks at walmart and the sound is just as good, it's what i use to connect mine to my mom's chevy cavalier

you plug it into your ipod or anything with a headphone jack and then you put the tape in the tape deck and then you control the ipod like normal

2011 Mazda2
1990 Mazda Miata
#13 (permalink) Old 09-18-2004, 03:24 PM
5th Gear Member

brien4787 is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via AIM to brien4787
Uhhh.... if you don't have an '03 or newer, or just don't want to pay mucho, you can get an AUX cable. If you have an Aux input option on your Hu, then just buy one of these cables. Just take out the HU, plug it in, then run the wire down past the clock area, then thru a little hole that is in the top of the cubby area, then plug it into your ipod. Some HUs have RCA inputs for the AUX, which can just be bought at radio shack, but some companies such as Alpine have a different type of cable that can just be bought at most car audio stores for 10 bucks.

I wouldn't bother with that tape thing, nor FM thing. I had a Belkin FM thing, and it sucked. I guess if you do not have an AUX input, your out of luck.

With the tape connection, you are only going to get tape quality. But if your options are down to FM or tape, I would go to tape, unless they have made better FM trans.

!
#14 (permalink) Old 09-25-2004, 01:51 PM
n00b

BeamingSailor is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally posted by El Presidente@Sep 12 2004, 09:55 AM
there is an adapter that will work with 96+ models. There are not, and as far as I know, will not, be any for >96. It is not made for IPODs, but to connect any device via aux inputs on the cd changer line.
[snapback]186661[/snapback]
Had exactly the same problem for a while now. Music suddenly stops, display shows 9-99, for which the manual indicates that the BMW has lost the connection with the iPod and the unit switches to radio. Stabilized the iPod to make sure that it wasn't the iPod movind around and loosing the connection. So far clueless as to what might cause this. Haven't heard of any solutions yet.
#15 (permalink) Old 09-26-2004, 10:39 PM
1st Gear Member

BUSTaMOVE is an unknown quantity at this point
Just get an aftermarket deck with an aux input and just run wire into ashtray of center console . thats what i did and it works fine for us 1992 ers
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com > General Category > Audio and Electronics