interested in upgrading.. - BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com
Audio and Electronics The place to go to discuss sound systems and show off your I.C.E. along with security systems and radar detectors too!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
#1 (permalink) Old 07-21-2004, 06:41 PM
5th Gear Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
brien4787 is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via AIM to brien4787
(Thread Starter)
i am interested in upgrading my system in my '95 318i. i think that i may have stock speakers, but i guess the 1st owner added in a sony 10 cd changer and a sony cd player. the cd player is a... (FM/AM cd player CDX-C480 MD/CD changer control custom file 40Wx4)...thats what it says on the cd player deck. my cd changer in my trunk holds 10 cds...

is there anyway i can upgrade speakers so my car sounds almost as good as my moms 01 A6(it has a BOSE system) without spending too much money. BOSE is way out of the question, they are way too much money. I just love the way my moms car sounds. I dont need too much bass, i dont like overkill.

is my cd player decent enough to handle good sound? what speakers car okay to get....well just tell me if i can do anything to get a good sound.

i dont want to spend too much either. is there somehting i can do without spending over 400 bucks, because over that, its just not worth it for me....

!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 (permalink) Old 07-21-2004, 06:48 PM
5th Gear Member

(Thread Starter)
by the way...i think it has 160 watts... but not positive... and yeah, i know, its not the newest thing, but if it will work and let me have good sound, why not just keep it and save some cash

!
#3 (permalink) Old 07-21-2004, 08:27 PM
5th Gear Member

(Thread Starter)
now i am thinking this: will it even be worth it to just spend a few hundred on speakers? i doubt that i will get a bose like sound quality.....

i am not going to spend a shitload of money on this.... my speakers are at least halfway decent........

what do you guys thing?

!
#4 (permalink) Old 07-21-2004, 10:12 PM
WOT in Reverse

jllphan has a reputation beyond repute jllphan has a reputation beyond repute jllphan has a reputation beyond repute jllphan has a reputation beyond repute jllphan has a reputation beyond repute jllphan has a reputation beyond repute jllphan has a reputation beyond repute jllphan has a reputation beyond repute jllphan has a reputation beyond repute jllphan has a reputation beyond repute jllphan has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to jllphan
I was gonna let you keep going, you did well to discuss it with yourself, but maybe I can help...

First off some questions:

Are your oem speakers done (sound completely horrible), or do they just not sound as good as mom's? In other words, do they distort when you turn them up, or is it merely that they don't sound as good as other speakers you have heard?

Are you lookin for more bass, or better overall sound quality?

Are you doing the install, or do plan on having a professional do it?

If you are not doing the install, does the $400 include installation?

#5 (permalink) Old 07-21-2004, 10:31 PM
5th Gear Member

(Thread Starter)
the speakers are still...okay....

i want a better sound, plus a bit more bass...just dont need 2 12s... overkill.

i wasnt looking to spend too much over 400 with install....
....ya.... probably wont get much better than what i have now...will i?

!
#6 (permalink) Old 07-22-2004, 10:59 AM
WOT in Reverse

jllphan has a reputation beyond repute jllphan has a reputation beyond repute jllphan has a reputation beyond repute jllphan has a reputation beyond repute jllphan has a reputation beyond repute jllphan has a reputation beyond repute jllphan has a reputation beyond repute jllphan has a reputation beyond repute jllphan has a reputation beyond repute jllphan has a reputation beyond repute jllphan has a reputation beyond repute
Adding a sub would be your first step to better sound. Most of time people are more impressed by the addition of some low end, than by replacing there existing speakers. That being said you should be able to find a 8" or 10" sub, box, amp, and install materials for under $400. If plan on having a professional install it for you, this might go over budget. You can save yourself a lot of $$$ by doing it yourself, but if you don't have the experience, I wouldn't recomend taking a stab at it.

Go to crutchfield.com and look around. Look for a single sub (8 or 10), a hatch box, mono amp or small 2ch, and amp kit. This will give you some ideas and get you headed in the right direction.

Do this, replace your front and rear speakers in a few months (after you save some more cheese), and you will be rockin

#7 (permalink) Old 07-22-2004, 11:57 AM
Defector

El Presidente is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via AIM to El Presidente
another options for more bass without taking up the room is to add a basslink. As for what speakers, I like Infinity.

<span style='color:gray'><span style='font-family:Courier'>1995 e36 3 Series RIP
1999 e46 3 Series BURN IN HELL
2000 MR-S Roadster= Current</span></span>
#8 (permalink) Old 07-22-2004, 03:55 PM
5th Gear Member

(Thread Starter)
my friend said that he would sell me infinity speakers... he bought them off his other buddy who got new speakers... they were stock speakers from an SUV.....
are these going to be any good, or just probably shitty? my buddy will sell them to me for only like 35 bucks.... 4 speakers... forgot what size..

i always see a deal from places like bestbuy, circuitcity, ect... where you can buy an amp and you can get free subs... and these places usually have free installation... what do you think about this?

i really dont need an overkill on bass because i am not one to go around town listening to rap, though it wouldnt be bad to have some more for times when i am listening to something that could use an extra punch such as Jamarquai(spelling??) or Modest Mouse (the older modest mouse, i cant stand that they got popular all of the sudden with their over produced new album...)

could it hurt to go with the sony crap? that shit is wayyy cheap....

what are the benefits of having 2 smaller subs or visversa r just 1 sub?

also, will i need an amp?
(if i get a sub-->) i know that i will be forced to get the speaker, a box..but an amp too?

will a smaller sub take up a lot of my trunk space?

my friend, i thi nk, knows how to install this stuff because his sisters boyfriend taught him stuff a while ago... would i want to go with him doing this? would you trust someone at circuit city or bestbuy? how much is it for a pro to install this?
what sub would you recommend for me if i dont want to spend too much?

!
#9 (permalink) Old 07-22-2004, 04:14 PM
5th Gear Member

(Thread Starter)
few things i found for good prices, though i dont know quality....

lets see what you guys have to say:

http://www.circuitcity.com/detail.jsp?c=1&...0&oid=71811&m=0

http://www.circuitcity.com/detail.jsp?c=1&...0&oid=80801&m=0

!
#10 (permalink) Old 07-22-2004, 05:36 PM
Defector

El Presidente is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via AIM to El Presidente
stock infinitys and reference sereis are not the same. Buy real ones.

Like I also said, if you want to take up less space, buy a basslink. it includes a built in am

Don't buy anything that comes with free X. that X product is usually crap.

<span style='color:gray'><span style='font-family:Courier'>1995 e36 3 Series RIP
1999 e46 3 Series BURN IN HELL
2000 MR-S Roadster= Current</span></span>
#11 (permalink) Old 07-22-2004, 08:41 PM
WOT in Reverse

Yeah that stuff sux. I'm not busting on ya, you said you didn't know.

The sony P5 10" sub should only run you $60-75, a 10" hatch box another $50, and I think it's their XM-2200 mono amp for about $160-185. Do the math, for about $300w/ tax or shipping (which ever way you go), you should be rockin. This stuff ain't the best, but it's made well enough, and will totally make a difference in your audio system.

Yes, oem Infinity speakers suck. By the Reference series like Prez said. Those as well as everything I just mentioned can be found at crutchfield.com.

#12 (permalink) Old 07-23-2004, 03:07 AM
5th Gear Member

(Thread Starter)
what speakers do i have?

also, will my deck work with most subs and amps?

!
#13 (permalink) Old 07-23-2004, 09:56 AM
WOT in Reverse

Quote:
Originally posted by brien4787@Jul 23 2004, 03:47 AM
what speakers do i have?

You mean oem? Either Nokia, or Harmon Kardon if your car has the premium audio package. Either set really isn't horrible by oem standards, but when you go to replace them the Infinity Reference or Polk dB line would be a solid improvement.

Yes, any brand amp/sub will work with your existing components. I just listed those Sony products because you already have Sony components, and that stuff isn't bad and it's VERY cheap.

#14 (permalink) Old 07-23-2004, 05:00 PM
5th Gear Member

(Thread Starter)
I think that El Pres's low end system is going to be in my car in a week or 2. Sub, Box, and Amp... What do you guys think about his system?

!
#15 (permalink) Old 07-23-2004, 06:21 PM
WOT in Reverse

Go for it . I attempted to acquire some of his no-longer-used gear, but was outbid...darn it! :P

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com > General Category > Audio and Electronics