Installing An Amp - BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com
Audio and Electronics The place to go to discuss sound systems and show off your I.C.E. along with security systems and radar detectors too!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
#1 (permalink) Old 06-28-2005, 08:23 PM
n00b

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
tbhtjd is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via AIM to tbhtjd
(Thread Starter)
I recently replaced my head unit and speakers and I want to add a 4-channel amp to give the speakers some more power. When I wired the head unit I used the stock fader so I only used the front left and right positive outputs. I found the stock amp in the trunk.

Alright, with that said, when I install the new amp can I just use the wires from the stock amp? Also, should I leave the positive connections from the head unit? Is the head unit really supplying any power with the amp connected?

Thanks in advanced.

TBHtjd
1987 535i
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 (permalink) Old 06-29-2005, 05:29 AM
da_administrator

da_bull has a reputation beyond repute da_bull has a reputation beyond repute da_bull has a reputation beyond repute da_bull has a reputation beyond repute da_bull has a reputation beyond repute da_bull has a reputation beyond repute da_bull has a reputation beyond repute da_bull has a reputation beyond repute da_bull has a reputation beyond repute da_bull has a reputation beyond repute da_bull has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via MSN to da_bull
If the factory amp is connected, then you are correct in that the headunit really doesnt supply anything more than a signal for the factory amp to use. In order to use an aftermarket amp, you will have to find the wires coming from the output of the factory amp going to the speakers, cut them (that gets rid of anything the factory amp does), and hook them up to your new amp.

Hope that helps.....

-There are 10 kinds of people. Those who understand binary, and those who do not.

-If we ever forget that we are One Nation Under God, then we will be a nation gone under...Ronald Reagan
#3 (permalink) Old 07-20-2005, 06:40 AM
n00b

JayKayNZ is an unknown quantity at this point
Cool, so does that mean if I can bear the crappiness of the original amp in my '87 735i e32, if i put a new headunit in, it wont fry the amp? (as im presuming the old h/u has a lot lower power output compared to the the h/u)
#4 (permalink) Old 07-20-2005, 11:13 PM
da_administrator

da_bull has a reputation beyond repute da_bull has a reputation beyond repute da_bull has a reputation beyond repute da_bull has a reputation beyond repute da_bull has a reputation beyond repute da_bull has a reputation beyond repute da_bull has a reputation beyond repute da_bull has a reputation beyond repute da_bull has a reputation beyond repute da_bull has a reputation beyond repute da_bull has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Originally posted by JayKayNZ@Jul 20 2005, 06:40 AM
Cool, so does that mean if I can bear the crappiness of the original amp in my '87 735i e32, if i put a new headunit in, it wont fry the amp? (as im presuming the old h/u has a lot lower power output compared to the the h/u)
[snapback]363739[/snapback]
No, it wont blow your factory amp. The factory amp takes what is called a high level (speaker level) input. An aftermarket usually uses a low level (RCA level) input. You can feed your factory amp with the aftermarket radio.

But if your car is almost 20 years old, youd get better performance from a deck and rewiring. I like to rewire and get rid of the amplifier, but thats just me. I would rather have the power from an aftermarket radio (a decent one, mind you) or a small aftermarket amp running the factory speakers.

hope that helps...

-There are 10 kinds of people. Those who understand binary, and those who do not.

-If we ever forget that we are One Nation Under God, then we will be a nation gone under...Ronald Reagan
#5 (permalink) Old 07-21-2005, 08:31 PM
n00b

JayKayNZ is an unknown quantity at this point
Cool thanks for that. Got the sounds going ok, tho I still need a noise suppressor cos im gettin engine frequencies in one of the tweeters.

Sorry, i know im kinda doing this topic to death, but is the factory sound system (in the e32s) a 4ohm system? If i install a new standard smallish amp, will the original speakers be compatible with it?

I presume the 5" and 3/4" speakers (of which there are 4 pairs) are working parallel, and am guessing both would have to be taken out, and replaced by a standard 4ohm two way speaker. But of course up front, that means the door tweater would have to be bypassed, and a twoway put in in the kick panels. Is this correct?
#6 (permalink) Old 07-21-2005, 09:14 PM
da_administrator

Quote:
Originally posted by JayKayNZ@Jul 21 2005, 08:31 PM
Cool thanks for that. Got the sounds going ok, tho I still need a noise suppressor cos im gettin engine frequencies in one of the tweeters.

Sorry, i know im kinda doing this topic to death, but is the factory sound system (in the e32s) a 4ohm system? If i install a new standard smallish amp, will the original speakers be compatible with it?

I presume the 5" and 3/4" speakers (of which there are 4 pairs) are working parallel, and am guessing both would have to be taken out, and replaced by a standard 4ohm two way speaker. But of course up front, that means the door tweater would have to be bypassed, and a twoway put in in the kick panels. Is this correct?
[snapback]364241[/snapback]
I would hold off on the noise suppresor. After you install the new amp you will probably find you dont need it. It may be in your amp since its only in one tweeter.

Make sure to get one that has a built in cross-over, the smaller speakers really need it. Most of them nowadays come with it anyways. High pass it around 80-125 hz and you'll be fine. Of couse then you'll need a sub to get the 100hz and down.

You are correct in your above assumptions, btw...

#7 (permalink) Old 07-23-2005, 06:23 PM
n00b

dablack is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally posted by da_bull+Jul 21 2005, 10:14 PM--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(da_bull @ Jul 21 2005, 10:14 PM)</div><div class='quotemain'><!--QuoteBegin-JayKayNZ@Jul 21 2005, 08:31 PM

[snapback]364241[/snapback]
I would hold off on the noise suppresor. After you install the new amp you will probably find you dont need it. It may be in your amp since its only in one tweeter.

Make sure to get one that has a built in cross-over, the smaller speakers really need it. Most of them nowadays come with it anyways. High pass it around 80-125 hz and you'll be fine. Of couse then you'll need a sub to get the 100hz and down.

You are correct in your above assumptions, btw...
[snapback]364251[/snapback]
[/b][/quote]

i fried my amp in my 1991 525i/m50 ghead so how do I hook the Hifonics up with rca plugs?? splice into the black connector or the white one?
I am SO lost and confused now
and sorry which colour wires for front and rear

much appreciated in advance
Great board btw awsome community
#8 (permalink) Old 07-23-2005, 11:49 PM
da_administrator

to the forums

do you have a factory or aftermarket deck? you dont want to do any splicing regardless of which you have. If its factory they make line out convertors that safely take a speaker level signal and turn it into an RCA level signal.

#9 (permalink) Old 07-24-2005, 12:55 PM
n00b

dablack is an unknown quantity at this point
no it is a factory deck the oem amp is done where do you get line out connectors Ive never heard of them.....I was at e34.net and they recomend the splice technique...thanks for your help da_bull
#10 (permalink) Old 07-24-2005, 05:59 PM
da_administrator

Quote:
Originally posted by dablack@Jul 24 2005, 12:55 PM
no it is a factory deck the oem amp is done where do you get line out connectors Ive never heard of them.....I was at e34.net and they recomend the splice technique...thanks for your help da_bull
[snapback]364812[/snapback]
your local car audio shop should have them, ask for a "line out convertor". This will give you RCA connections from a speaker wire. The splicing method will give you a chance to be in a market for a new radio.

#11 (permalink) Old 07-26-2005, 01:22 PM
5th Gear Member

sp0rky is an unknown quantity at this point

#12 (permalink) Old 08-06-2005, 12:51 AM
n00b

tbhtjd is an unknown quantity at this point