Installing Aftermarket Amp/sub In E34 - BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com
Audio and Electronics The place to go to discuss sound systems and show off your I.C.E. along with security systems and radar detectors too!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
#1 (permalink) Old 11-14-2004, 10:04 PM
n00b

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Dr. Pipper is an unknown quantity at this point
(Thread Starter)
First off, I'd like to say hello, I'm new here. I just got my first BMW, a '95 540i, a couple weeks ago.

I'd like to install an aftermarket amplifier and sub. My plan is to tap into the rear speaker signals before the factory amp and connect them to the preamp inputs on the aftermarket amp. I've been researching this for a while and vaguely remember coming across something that said I needed some sort of converter for the signal, something about balanced signals and shielding I think. I apologize that I can't remember where I saw it or what exactly it was talking about. Do I really need something extra, or can I just connect everything as follows:

-Power from battery to amp
-Ground from amp to chassis
-Tap remote before factory amp, connect to remote on aftermarket amp
-Tap speaker signals before factory amp, connect to preamp inputs on aftermarket amp
-Connect amp to subwoofer

I plan to do the same thing outlined here: http://www.bmwe34.net/E34main/Upgrad..._subwoofer.htm
Also, what do they mean in step 6 of the install, where it says "RCA cable with individually insulated +/- wires as opposed to an RCA with the ground shield woven around the outside of the + wire"? Are there different types of RCA cable?

Thank you very much for your help.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 (permalink) Old 11-15-2004, 08:28 PM
n00b

Dr. Pipper is an unknown quantity at this point
(Thread Starter)
I found the component I was referring to in the original post. I had heard people recommend using a Peripheral VENREM to convert from speaker-level to line-level outputs to connect to the amp. If I tap the rear speaker wires BEFORE the factory amp will this be line-level or speaker level? Does the factory head unit amplify the signal at all before sending it to the factory amp? Hopefully not, because then I can tap this wire and connect it to the RCA line-level inputs on my aftermarket amp for the subwoofer.

Again, I have a '95 540i. Please, someone help if you have some info on this.
#3 (permalink) Old 01-22-2007, 12:12 AM
n00b

eferree is on a distinguished road
This is a great resource. I used it on my 93 525i. Now the proud owner of a dual 12 Audiobahn flame Q system powered by a 4000W MA audio amp. Very bitchin.
#4 (permalink) Old 03-02-2009, 11:13 PM
n00b

Howie09 is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to Howie09
Smile use wires from the head unit

You are better off connecting the RCA cords from the head unit to the amp, because the head unit probably has some kind of amp in it and the signal will be more clear, crisp, since it's coming directly from the source of the music.
#5 (permalink) Old 03-03-2009, 08:43 AM
da_administrator

da_bull has a reputation beyond repute da_bull has a reputation beyond repute da_bull has a reputation beyond repute da_bull has a reputation beyond repute da_bull has a reputation beyond repute da_bull has a reputation beyond repute da_bull has a reputation beyond repute da_bull has a reputation beyond repute da_bull has a reputation beyond repute da_bull has a reputation beyond repute da_bull has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via MSN to da_bull
Howie, as much as the info is appreciated, this thread is 5 years old. These two members probably arent here anymore as their post count is almost null. These two probably wont be back to read this.

Anyways, to werkz.

-There are 10 kinds of people. Those who understand binary, and those who do not.

-If we ever forget that we are One Nation Under God, then we will be a nation gone under...Ronald Reagan
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com > General Category > Audio and Electronics