Installation of HU - BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com
BMW Forum BMW Forum

Auto Insurance

» Featured Product
Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com > General Category > Audio and Electronics
Register Home Forum Active Topics Gallery / Showroom Auto Loans Garage Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Auto EscrowInsurance

Audio and Electronics The place to go to discuss sound systems and show off your I.C.E. along with security systems and radar detectors too!

BimmerWerkz.com is the premier BMW Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-29-2004, 11:06 AM   #1 (permalink)
n00b

Car:
Photos:
peffman is an unknown quantity at this point
I have a 98 323 convertible that I'd like to swap out the original in-dash cassette unit with an after market cd-mp3 unit. Reading these boards makes it sound like it's easy enough, but being a little unsure, I called around to get estimates on installation from a "professional". One guy when told I had a BMW, said that "oh those are pain" because they come with a stock amp that would need to be rewired so that would be an additional $80 on top of the standard $50 for the HU. Is there anything to this or is he just trying to rip me off?

Also, I'd like to get a unit with an aux input so I can plug in an MP3 player. I was told that I have to the run aux cable from the back of the unit. Where do I run the cable and how easy is that? Thanks for any input.
peffman is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-29-2004, 11:14 AM   #2 (permalink)
You Can Has A Custom Title!!

Car: 2008 128i
Photos:
007ben is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via AIM to 007ben Send a message via Yahoo to 007ben
there is a stock amp. it doesnt NEED to be bypassed. if they do you would want all new speakers as well. because each one gets its own signal from the amp. So if bypassed you'd need some x-overs. to do it....

just drop the new HU in with the approtiate harnness and you should be all set.

if you decide to replace speakers later then you got to rewire things to not use the Factory Amp.
Old 06-01-2004, 06:34 PM   #3 (permalink)
n00b

Car:
Photos:
peffman is an unknown quantity at this point
Okay thanks. Just to be safe, let me ask this. If the new head unit has a built-in amp, would that make a difference? I think I read somewhere that if the new hu has a built in amp, then the stock amp would need to be bypassed. Is this true? Specifically, I'm thinking of getting the Panasonic CQ-HX2083U. Thanks.
peffman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2004, 07:56 PM   #4 (permalink)
You Can Has A Custom Title!!

Car:
Photos:
CiscoKid is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via AIM to CiscoKid
nope... you need one with a built in amp to work correctly. I have that headunit. install took roughly 30 minutes. All you need is the harness and an antenna adapter

BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com > General Category > Audio and Electronics