If I Change My Head Unit... - BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com
Audio and Electronics The place to go to discuss sound systems and show off your I.C.E. along with security systems and radar detectors too!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
#1 (permalink) Old 02-23-2005, 03:00 PM
Neutral Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
OldGuy is an unknown quantity at this point
(Thread Starter)
Thumbs up

I have a 96' 328iS with the Harmon Kardon 8 speaker setup. Considering a Nakamichi 4 channel head unit. Will all of my speakers still be driven as long as I use a proper wiring harness (Metra for example)? I'm quite happy with the factory sound but the head unit needs a new backlight and has output some buzzing during cassette playback. Also thought one of my tweeters was blown (snap, crackle, static sound) but it sounds fine now so again, I think the head unit is the problem (could be a loose connection at the speaker but that wouldn't explain the buzz I heard yesterday)....I can either have the unit serviced or spend 3 to 4 times that amount and just replace it with a Nak...I want to keep the factory look and the Nakamichi is the only unit I've seen that would fit the bill...

~Mark Robert~
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 (permalink) Old 02-27-2005, 09:18 PM
WOT in Reverse

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
jllphan has a reputation beyond repute jllphan has a reputation beyond repute jllphan has a reputation beyond repute jllphan has a reputation beyond repute jllphan has a reputation beyond repute jllphan has a reputation beyond repute jllphan has a reputation beyond repute jllphan has a reputation beyond repute jllphan has a reputation beyond repute jllphan has a reputation beyond repute jllphan has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to jllphan
YES, you'll be fine.

I have a Nakamichi head unit feeding my oem amp, which in turn powers all the speakers just fine. Apparently the voltage of the Nak's speaker outputs work well as a signal to feed the oem amp.

All you need is your new Nak deck, a wiring harness (I recomend Metra, purchased at your local car audio shop) and an antenna adaptor. Install is easy as cake, and you will be quite pleased with the result, especially if you "think" you are satisfied with the current sound.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com > General Category > Audio and Electronics