i call upon thee mr bull - BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com
Audio and Electronics The place to go to discuss sound systems and show off your I.C.E. along with security systems and radar detectors too!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
#1 (permalink) Old 01-11-2007, 01:31 AM
The Messican

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
MiguelACA has a reputation beyond repute MiguelACA has a reputation beyond repute MiguelACA has a reputation beyond repute MiguelACA has a reputation beyond repute MiguelACA has a reputation beyond repute MiguelACA has a reputation beyond repute MiguelACA has a reputation beyond repute MiguelACA has a reputation beyond repute MiguelACA has a reputation beyond repute MiguelACA has a reputation beyond repute MiguelACA has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to MiguelACA
(Thread Starter)
i call upon thee mr bull

ok,

so i have my subs, great bass, more than i need
my jetta has four tweeters, more highs than i need also

my mids suck! what are some good (cheap, flame suit on) speakers i can get to get some good sounding mid rang sound?

i heard some eclipse at circuit city, but are too damn expensive

waht do you recommend as far as midrange on a budget?

aslo, what are my choices for sound dampening, besides dynamat?

thanks in advanced, oh and post pics of ur new to you truck!

A morning of awkwardness is better than a night of loneliness
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 (permalink) Old 01-11-2007, 05:22 AM
da_administrator

da_bull has a reputation beyond repute da_bull has a reputation beyond repute da_bull has a reputation beyond repute da_bull has a reputation beyond repute da_bull has a reputation beyond repute da_bull has a reputation beyond repute da_bull has a reputation beyond repute da_bull has a reputation beyond repute da_bull has a reputation beyond repute da_bull has a reputation beyond repute da_bull has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via MSN to da_bull
Hola, senior VR6 dude,

Actually at my old store (we weren't a real high-end store, we mainly sold Pioneer, JVC, Panasonic, Infinity, Memphis), I really liked the Infinity Reference series for the budget minded. They really do a great job and retail for less than 1 C-note per pair. I'm not sure what your budget is but I really havent found anything that was worth having that runs 60-80 per pair. I use the Alpine Type-S speakers at the limo place I work for now. They arent too bad, for the same amount of money, I would still prefer the Infinity's. If you have a Best Buy/Circuit City, swing by and take a listen.

Sound dampening: It depends on if you are wanting to make the car quieter while traveling down the highway, or trying to eliminate rattling panels (i.e. trunk lid, tail lights etc.) Basically all you are doing is adding weight to a panel to lower its resonating frequency. Everything moves when you apply pressure (sound) waves to it. It takes more energy to move a heavier panel, so by adding weight it keeps a panel from rattling. I know most of us are concerned with weight, so lemme let ya in on a little hint if you are trying to get rid of rattles. Only fix what rattles. Get a bass cd that has a lot of test tones, put it on repeat, turn it up, shut all doors (dont lock 'em ) and walk around the out side of the car. Whatever panels are rattling, lay your hand on it to see if it quits. If it does, tear apart that area on the inside, and apply a chunk of dynamat (there are cheaper brands out there and they all do the same function). You dont have to do the whole panel, just add like a 8x8" square and see what happens. You usually dont have to add around the braced areas, they seem to hold their own. You are probably looking for an area that is only one layer of steel (aluminum/plastic/etc) thick.

As far as my new-to-me truck, its kinda funny. I drove it one two weekends ago, after purchasing. It has sat at my work for the last week and half. At 195K miles, the "work truck" interior had to go. Since I work for a limo builder, you can imagine the amount of skilled people we have there. I am getting schooled on sewing. I re-did the headliner and carpet (thats easy we used to do that at the car audio shop), and the guy that sews our seats, took the front vinyl seat and revamped it in some nice cloth. I ripped out the rear seat the other night, and dissassembled it last night and I am going to try my hand at sewing today. We put the front seat back in the other day after finishing the carpet, and it looks like a brand new truck. I will post some pix after I bring it home. Thanks again for the CF.

Ok my fingers hurt, time to go to work, catch ya later.

Hopefully this helps...
Bill

-There are 10 kinds of people. Those who understand binary, and those who do not.

-If we ever forget that we are One Nation Under God, then we will be a nation gone under...Ronald Reagan
#3 (permalink) Old 01-11-2007, 12:57 PM
The Messican

MiguelACA has a reputation beyond repute MiguelACA has a reputation beyond repute MiguelACA has a reputation beyond repute MiguelACA has a reputation beyond repute MiguelACA has a reputation beyond repute MiguelACA has a reputation beyond repute MiguelACA has a reputation beyond repute MiguelACA has a reputation beyond repute MiguelACA has a reputation beyond repute MiguelACA has a reputation beyond repute MiguelACA has a reputation beyond repute
(Thread Starter)
whoa, long reply FTW, lol, so infinity u sya, ill go check em out at best buy later, see hwat they sound like, i think id disconnect the tweeters on them, i already have 4, no need for another 4....about the dynamat thing, its expensive, so will just any ebay sound deadening thing work to stop the damn rattles in and out of my car , i dont even like turning up the bass because everything rattles!

practice at sewing, make me some custom seat covers...lol

Thanks!

#4 (permalink) Old 01-11-2007, 10:42 PM
da_administrator

da_bull has a reputation beyond repute da_bull has a reputation beyond repute da_bull has a reputation beyond repute da_bull has a reputation beyond repute da_bull has a reputation beyond repute da_bull has a reputation beyond repute da_bull has a reputation beyond repute da_bull has a reputation beyond repute da_bull has a reputation beyond repute da_bull has a reputation beyond repute da_bull has a reputation beyond repute
Yeah pretty much any "sound deadening" schtuff will work fine. If your tweeters are factory, you may want to disconnect them, and use the Infinity's tweeters instead. They are geared to "werk" together as a system. I did a 16x16" rear seat in my truck today (it has a rear 70/30 split in the rear), those guys make it look easy. Mine looked good after I was done, but he could have done it in 1/4 the time lol...

-There are 10 kinds of people. Those who understand binary, and those who do not.

-If we ever forget that we are One Nation Under God, then we will be a nation gone under...Ronald Reagan
#5 (permalink) Old 01-12-2007, 02:09 AM
The Messican

(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by da_bull
Yeah pretty much any "sound deadening" schtuff will work fine. If your tweeters are factory, you may want to disconnect them, and use the Infinity's tweeters instead. They are geared to "werk" together as a system. I did a 16x16" rear seat in my truck today (it has a rear 70/30 split in the rear), those guys make it look easy. Mine looked good after I was done, but he could have done it in 1/4 the time lol...

cool, ebay here i come! lol...or is that pushing it..lol....i know how to sew with a machine, well sort of, i had a home ec class in high school where i made some boxers, lol...they came out very well actually...lol

#6 (permalink) Old 01-12-2007, 05:01 AM
da_administrator

naw I'm sure you can find stuff on ebay. we used to use Roadkill by Stinger. It was exactly like dynamat and cheaper. I just did a search and there's a bunch of auctions if you do a search for dynamat. I havent looked at the retail pricing of this stuff in a long time, so you may wanna check your local places before bidding, it may be worth a call or three.

#7 (permalink) Old 01-12-2007, 07:49 AM
I am Teh Edumacator.

Teh Prof has much to be proud of Teh Prof has much to be proud of Teh Prof has much to be proud of Teh Prof has much to be proud of Teh Prof has much to be proud of Teh Prof has much to be proud of Teh Prof has much to be proud of Teh Prof has much to be proud of Teh Prof has much to be proud of Teh Prof has much to be proud of
Send a message via AIM to Teh Prof
Quick question for you, da bull. My infiniti basslink II is rattling some internal plastic, I think the plastic on the floor of the trunk that it is screwed down to. Any suggestions for handling this?

1999 E39 540i/6-VF Stage 1 S/C, Dinan exhaust, Dinan strut+shock braces, Dinan ltwt flywheel + clutch, Dinan Brembo BBK, Dinan monoball, H&R Springs, Koni Yellows, M5 sways, Dinan forged 18" wheels, &c.

1995 E38 740i. Highly modded. Faster than you.

Sold 2-28-07: 1997 E36 M3/4, 8-30-05 RIP 1997 528i

Lindsay fan club member.
#8 (permalink) Old 01-12-2007, 07:51 PM
da_administrator

mehbe try pulling the screws, insert some two-sidedtape/weatherstripping etc, underneath and screw back down.

#9 (permalink) Old 01-13-2007, 03:34 AM
The Messican

(Thread Starter)
damn it, all that sound deadening stuff on ebay is expensive! well sort of...any secrets of the trade to stop rattles that you may know of mr bull

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com > General Category > Audio and Electronics