HU Replacement on 1997 328i - BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com
Audio and Electronics The place to go to discuss sound systems and show off your I.C.E. along with security systems and radar detectors too!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
#1 (permalink) Old 04-05-2008, 08:20 AM
Neutral Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Larry Horne is an unknown quantity at this point
(Thread Starter)
HU Replacement on 1997 328i

OK, I've installed two factory OEM HU's in my '97 328i over the past 10 years AND two factory OEM CD players. The HU just went belly up so its time to install an aftermarket HU w/ipod input and XM satelite. The 2nd CD changer went belly up a long time ago. These 2 pieces of factory OEM components are hitting the trash bin unless anyone here wants them.

I don't plan to change all of the system components at this point, just looking for the basics.

I've attached a pic of what is in there now. No surprise there.

Can you please assist with what is needed to do the aftermarket install? Will all of the remaining factory components, ie the speakers and the amp(s) work with just a HU replacement?

I plan on getting the proper wiring harness and antenna adapter from a local shop if possible or Crutchfield or BAVAUTO.

Does the install require a faceplate as shown in the second pic? I've searched many our your installs and they all look like they fit the original opening.

I've attached a pic from this web site 1997 (97) BMW 328i Radio / Stereo Installation Kit - Do your next car radio / stereo install yourself! (I plan to use Crutchfield but they say there is no such item for the '97)

Does the install require an "interface" as shown in pic 3? Again from that website above. The sites says "Premium Factory Sound Systems - OEM-2 Premium Factory Sound System Interface".

I see many Alpines in your systems. Any recommendations on currently available HU's with CD, XM and aux inputs that wont break the bank?

Thanks for the forum and thanks for your help.

Lar
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1206.jpg
Views:	1441
Size:	60.2 KB
ID:	26502   Click image for larger version

Name:	3196_lg[1].jpg
Views:	159
Size:	8.0 KB
ID:	26503   Click image for larger version

Name:	3579[1].gif
Views:	220
Size:	13.0 KB
ID:	26504  

Larry
Suffolk, VA
1997 328i
2004 Lexus GX470
1989 Ford F250
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 (permalink) Old 04-05-2008, 10:05 AM
da_administrator

da_bull has a reputation beyond repute da_bull has a reputation beyond repute da_bull has a reputation beyond repute da_bull has a reputation beyond repute da_bull has a reputation beyond repute da_bull has a reputation beyond repute da_bull has a reputation beyond repute da_bull has a reputation beyond repute da_bull has a reputation beyond repute da_bull has a reputation beyond repute da_bull has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via MSN to da_bull
For the money, I like this unit by Alpine. It has built-in Ipod controls and is satellite ready. By the looks of your factory radio, I am pretty sure you dont need the install kit.

Take a quick measurement ot make sure. It should be around 7" by 2" (give or take an 1/8"). If it isnt you'll need an install kit, but I dont think its that one. It seems that one is for a business radio. I think your new radio will just drop in. You will more than likely need the premium sound adapter/harness. There are ways around the amplifier, but it gets confusing real quick. The stock amp isnt too bad. Hope tha helps...

Bill

-There are 10 kinds of people. Those who understand binary, and those who do not.

-If we ever forget that we are One Nation Under God, then we will be a nation gone under...Ronald Reagan
#3 (permalink) Old 04-05-2008, 10:18 AM
Neutral Member

Larry Horne is an unknown quantity at this point
(Thread Starter)
Just to clarify

You think I will need the component below?

Also, Cruthfield has the 9884 for $199. Alpine CDA-9884 CD receiver with MP3/WMA/AAC playback at Crutchfield.com Similar specs.

You should really reconsider that PayPal thing I mentioned..

Lar
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	3579[1].gif
Views:	83
Size:	13.0 KB
ID:	26505  

Larry
Suffolk, VA
1997 328i
2004 Lexus GX470
1989 Ford F250
#4 (permalink) Old 04-05-2008, 09:21 PM
da_administrator

da_bull has a reputation beyond repute da_bull has a reputation beyond repute da_bull has a reputation beyond repute da_bull has a reputation beyond repute da_bull has a reputation beyond repute da_bull has a reputation beyond repute da_bull has a reputation beyond repute da_bull has a reputation beyond repute da_bull has a reputation beyond repute da_bull has a reputation beyond repute da_bull has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via MSN to da_bull
If your car has a factory amp (I think it does but not 100% sure) you will need that piece. Jump in your trunk, pull back the molded carpet piece on the drivers side. If it has an amp, it will have a small box with a ka-billion twisted wires coming out of it. A bunch of yellows, blues, and browns, half with red tracers. This is an E34, but its similar to yours:

-There are 10 kinds of people. Those who understand binary, and those who do not.

-If we ever forget that we are One Nation Under God, then we will be a nation gone under...Ronald Reagan
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com > General Category > Audio and Electronics