BMW Werkz banner

How do you remove factory amplifier?

35K views 3 replies 2 participants last post by  johnnyBgood 
#1 ·
I am struggling to remove the stock amplifier located in the rear fender. two of the bracket bolts are accessible by pulling up on the carpet but there is one up higher where the carpet is stuck behind the speaker enclosure. What is the method of getting that amp out of there?

thanks
T

#2 ·
Found this for you.....

johnny,

Mounting and Installing the Amplifier

First, you need to remove the left rear brake light cover housing by turning the retaining screw counterclockwise and pulling up and out.
Next, you need to remove the left rear speaker. To remove the grill, push your thumbs against the front edge. Once you bend the grill sufficiently, you can push upwards. Next, remove the two screws holding the speakers in place. There should be (at least on mine) a metal clip holding the whole unit in place. Push this tab and the speaker will drop out.
Now you can work the molded carpet on the side of the trunk outwards.
You will now see the factory amp. It’s held in place by three 10mm bolts.

Attachments

#3 ·
hah! found the exact same article just a minute ago. thanks for that...

another question. i replaced my head unit but i'm getting lots of distortion and crackling from the speakers. the stock unit barely gave any volume at all at max setting.
im just assuming the amp is bad and will look for a replacement stock unit.

i cant afford to start messing with adding amps and new speakers right now.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.