BMW Werkz banner

Horrible Sound with new speakers

3K views 22 replies 7 participants last post by  BlantonG13 
#1 ·
I have a 94 BMW 325is 2dr. I'm guessing it has the Premium sound system. It has two speakers in the kick panel, 2 tweeters and 2 speakers in the door panels, and two speakers (component) in the back.

I got the front ones ( 5.25) and the back ones (5.75) replaced with POLK speakers. They sound terrible, the bass sounds like a sharp knock, instead of what a bass should sound like. The music crackles, everything sounds weird as it seems to be playing beats there aren't even there. (Maybe because the base sounds more like treble?)

Could there have been a problem in the installation or did I just get the wrong speakers?

The back speakers were component I believe, but they replaced them with single 5.75's.

#3 ·
Did you install them yuorself, or did a shop do it? The wires could be completely f'ed.

your phase may be off. Switch the Pos/Neg leads on ONE (or one set, like only the right hand speakers) and see if it makes a difference in sound. Also, check to be sure that they can handle both 4 and 8 ohms (hey, ya never know). Go over all the wiring to the new speakers.

Just suggestions.

#5 ·
Originally posted by Ronny@Jan 7 2004, 10:16 AM
I had circuit city install these speakers.

Are these $89 POLKS any better than the nokias?
well i dont know how good polk audio is for components but i personally wouldnt have bought them. id take the car back to the installers tell them the situation maybe they can rectify the problem

#6 ·
Well I didn't buy a component system. I asked CC what I should buy and they told me 5.25's for the kick panel and 5.75's for the rear deck.

So I bought them. I find out today that they swapped the 5.75's for 4" (I think?) in the rear deck, and left the stock tweeter alone. THey did this without telling me.

Could that be the problem? Was I supposed to buy a component system instead for the rear deck?

#7 ·
no, having full range in the rear would not affect anything. The stock 5.25s in the front are also components, but using a coax in them does not reduce any sound quality over stock. I would go back, demand my money back for the difference in the 5.75s and the 4s, and also demand they examine the wires, free of charge. If they dont comply, threaten to file a complaint with the BBB.

#8 ·
F DAT! Return the shitzzle and go somewhere else. You think they are gonna do the job right the second time? Oh, the BBB is useless like tits on a bull. Please.

Better yet, buy the damn speakers yourself and install them by hand. Any retarded three year old with one arm and a blind eye can install speakers. You think those guys at CC have degrees in Rocket Science?

AND NEVER THREATEN A LAW SUIT!

#10 ·
Originally posted by El Presidente@Jan 8 2004, 08:49 AM
Man, the BBB out here is viscious. They go after some places hardcore.
I've never had ANY luck with the BBB. They suck Donkey Nutz. It seems no one really takes them seriously. That and they really have no power. If you don't check the BBB list then it's as good as useless ...

#11 ·
First off, You should have never gone to CC, they suck ass!!! You should always use a local reputable shop that has the capability of doing custom work etc. usually a locally owned shop is better because they dont have to go through so and so to see if this can be done etc, everything is taken care of right then and there(thats how it is here)..You also never get the customer service you want at a larger place like that...I like small hometown, well experienced shops because you can over time develop a good business relationship and get better deals over time, where at a place like CC they don't have the ability to give better deals etc to regular customers like you...I can do whatever the F**K I want where I work because I have been here 5 years and I can give price breaks to the people who come in and spend some money that I like....

But on the other note yes like the others said, a good chance the polarity(+ -) is off...Don't touch it, take it back to them because YOU paid THEM to install it, you shouldn't have to do anything...

#13 ·
size:

front is 5.25 rear is 4.

Type/brand:

depends on budget. If you want to spend alot, and also recieve excellent SQ, a component setup is for you. If you are not concerned with precise imaging, then it is probably a waste, and coaxial speakers will do fine. The next step is picking a brand. This also depends on your budget. I trust Inifinity, Alpine, Boston Acoustics, MB Quart, and Blaupunkt. Those brands vary in cost from as little as $30 to $300.

#15 ·
speakers in the door, if equipped are 3.5, and tweetes regardless of package. It is my understanding they are a unqiue shape and cannot be replaced.

#16 ·
Since I'm in the market, and I don't want to start a new thread, Can I get any 4" speakers for the rear, or like crutchfield lists, do they have to be the 4"T? I wanna put Infinity Components so I guess my question is, will any 4" speaker fit in that black nokia case that the stock ones are in?

#19 ·
552i I think, but I dont remember. 525i. Something with two fives and a two. The components are up front. I have coax in back. As for the sound, great mids+highs. Only thing thats missing in them is bass, but you cant really expect that out of of a 5 or 4. Couple them with a sub and its phenomnial.

#20 ·
thanks dude, yeah I have a sub that fills the bass out nicely for my tastes but now i wanna redo the internals...the speakers tend to fuzz up and distort and since most of my sound is outta the back i thought i'd start there, then move to the kick panels...would you say its worth doing components in the back? or just the front?

#23 ·
I have the same infiniti kappa 552s in the rear...they are 4inches and they alone sound so much better than the Nokia POSs. Definitely get the infinity's. However, I came across the problem that only two of the screw holes matched up, but they still fit quite snuggly. They sound amazing still, so its worth it. If you want overall SQ, do everything at one time. If you are like me and like a lot of knock in the back with bass, start with the front components. A lot of bass would kill the SQ coming from the back anyway in the long run, so those shouldn' t be the biggest priority. The front ones are the ones going right to your ears, so I would suggest going for the fronts first if not all at once.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.