BMW Werkz banner

hooking car audio subs to a home system

1K views 8 replies 6 participants last post by  jllphan 
#1 ·
i might not be getting an amp until september or october....so for no i have two s12l7 kicker subs are just sitting in my room......would there be any damage to the subs if i hook it up to my home audio system?

#6 ·
Ok, the slightly more technical answer is, no.

A car audio sub is designed to work in a different enviornment. Most home amps output DC current (upon the switch from the step down) of a voltage and impedence that differs from that of a car amp. While the specific output of a home amp greatly differs due to a wide variance is build quality, most car amplifiers run on +12-14.4volts/20-70amps@1-4ohm. While there are extreme examples that deviate from the aforementioned, this is most common.

Beyond that, Bitcore mentions the realistic likelyhood of harmful frequencies reaching the sub. Unless those subs are crossedover at a bare minimum of 200hz, you could dammage them from that as well.

Kicker recomends 5-15 hours of break in anyway. They are very rigid (as I am sure you noticed) and will improve with regards to performance as time goes on. I ran low frequency pink noise through mine for a day prior to installation as to speed up the break in period.

Yeah it'll work, but not a great idea. Ya got a nice pair of subs, just hang on until you can toss 'em in your ride.

#9 ·
Had a test CD I got from Infinity. You could make your own I'm sure. With your Rapsidy, Kazaa, etc. you could find a sample. Then just burn it to a CDR and play it through an amp with an LPF set at 160hz or lower. Stick the cd on repeat and play at low volume for a while.

Not all that necessary, but I've had a few guys blow up their L7's real quick because they installed them and immediately started wanking on them. As I stated before, these are rigid subs and need a break-in period. I just did mine prior to installation.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.