Help! A Tough One For You Bmw Audio Guru's - BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com
BMW Forum BMW Forum

Auto Insurance

» Featured Product
Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com > General Category > Audio and Electronics
Register Home Forum Active Topics Gallery / Showroom Auto Loans Garage Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Auto EscrowInsurance

Audio and Electronics The place to go to discuss sound systems and show off your I.C.E. along with security systems and radar detectors too!

BimmerWerkz.com is the premier BMW Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-26-2005, 08:19 AM   #1 (permalink)
n00b

Car:
Photos:
dropped82 is an unknown quantity at this point
I have a 1997 318ti, 1.9L M44, 5 speed w/ 10 speaker (non HK) stereo. I just recently installed a new Kenwood head unit. Due to limited parts available i did not use an adaptor harness I just cut and spliced. Anyways, everything works fine except when the car starts moving. When im stopped the radio plays. When i go the radio shuts off. Im stumped. Any help is greatly appreciated. It doesnt matter whether or not the car is in gear.
dropped82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-26-2005, 10:59 AM   #2 (permalink)
Neutral Member

Car:
Photos:
jeremer is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally posted by dropped82@Jan 26 2005, 09:19 AM
I have a 1997 318ti, 1.9L M44, 5 speed w/ 10 speaker (non HK) stereo. I just recently installed a new Kenwood head unit. Due to limited parts available i did not use an adaptor harness I just cut and spliced. Anyways, everything works fine except when the car starts moving. When im stopped the radio plays. When i go the radio shuts off. Im stumped. Any help is greatly appreciated. It doesnt matter whether or not the car is in gear.
[snapback]279539[/snapback]
The folks at BMW are very thoughtful. They know the great sound from your new HU will distract you from driving and will only let you listen when stopped
Your first mistake is hot wire your car. I did hot wire to others but not on a BMW. I think you disconnect all cables except for speakers and check on the 3 main power cables: red, yellow, and black for constant power, power from ignition, and ground. Hope this help.
Old 01-26-2005, 02:31 PM   #3 (permalink)
n00b

Car:
Photos:
dropped82 is an unknown quantity at this point
im gonna try...the wiring was extremely simple. I have never heard of this.
dropped82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2005, 05:36 PM   #4 (permalink)
3rd Gear Member

Car: 1998/BMW/M3
Photos:
Kissner is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Yahoo to Kissner
My advice-go buy a 20 dollar adapter and then u don't have to hot wire it and everything will be fixed
Kissner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2005, 09:08 PM   #5 (permalink)
da_administrator

Car: Its slow, gotta M20 in it
Photos:
da_bull has a reputation beyond reputeda_bull has a reputation beyond reputeda_bull has a reputation beyond reputeda_bull has a reputation beyond reputeda_bull has a reputation beyond reputeda_bull has a reputation beyond reputeda_bull has a reputation beyond reputeda_bull has a reputation beyond reputeda_bull has a reputation beyond reputeda_bull has a reputation beyond reputeda_bull has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via MSN to da_bull
If you have a voltmeter (not a test light), have a buddy run it while you are driving, see if the voltage on the red wire is going above 16 volts or drops below 9 volts. I am assuming it is keeping the clock, presets, and bass/treble settings. If not, check the yellow wire for the same thing. Post the outcome here. I am curious...

You can pick up a cheap meter at a Radio Shack, walmart or whatever you have around you for 15- 20 bucks. If you are going to do car audio much its a nice tool to have.

-There are 10 kinds of people. Those who understand binary, and those who do not.

-If we ever forget that we are One Nation Under God, then we will be a nation gone under...Ronald Reagan
da_bull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2005, 11:21 AM   #6 (permalink)
5th Gear Member

Car: 2003 M5
Photos:
Rooz is an unknown quantity at this point
You must have some wires not connected all the way. I had a similar problem, my left front speakers kept on going mute on me, the problem was that the wire from the speakers, and the wire from the harness adaptater were just not made for each other, so I weled an extra piece of a diff. wire between them and it workes great...!

VIEW MOD LIST & PICS
I am worth $2,010,238 on HumanForSale.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gregg
Umnitza now provides a mechanic to install all parts ordered right in the box! It's their new "Total customer service program" that will eliminate all the haters and keep incompetents from breaking shit and blaming the vendor! When you are all set simply call INS and they will pick him up free of charge.
Rooz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2005, 02:31 PM   #7 (permalink)
n00b

Car:
Photos:
lulul is an unknown quantity at this point
Hey man...
Check out this link.

it will tell you everything

http://home.att.net/~ebaines/e36_leads.htm
lulul is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com > General Category > Audio and Electronics