Help replacing Subwoofers - BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com
Audio and Electronics The place to go to discuss sound systems and show off your I.C.E. along with security systems and radar detectors too!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
#1 (permalink) Old 03-23-2009, 11:53 PM
n00b

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
BeamTrey2001 is on a distinguished road
(Thread Starter)
Help replacing Subwoofers

So I'm a fairly new BMW driver and I'm definitely not a master of automobiles. I know enough about cars to be an ameteur DIYer HOWEVER I know nothing about how sound systems work.

All i know is my 330i has the harmon kardon and they were gently used up until about 4 months ago when i bought the car. Since then they have definitely been damaged and i want to buy and install new ones but i don't know where to start. I like the mids and highs but the lows are pussy shit. i need a car that can bang.

Any advice about getting new subs and/or replacing my old ones would be much appreciated!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 (permalink) Old 03-24-2009, 12:21 AM
OMFG another one!?

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
witeshark is just really nice witeshark is just really nice witeshark is just really nice witeshark is just really nice witeshark is just really nice
Moved for better notice. And

BMW

Sig by zeaq
#3 (permalink) Old 03-24-2009, 07:44 PM
da_administrator

da_bull has a reputation beyond repute da_bull has a reputation beyond repute da_bull has a reputation beyond repute da_bull has a reputation beyond repute da_bull has a reputation beyond repute da_bull has a reputation beyond repute da_bull has a reputation beyond repute da_bull has a reputation beyond repute da_bull has a reputation beyond repute da_bull has a reputation beyond repute da_bull has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via MSN to da_bull
I'd start over. If you've already damaged the factory stuff, there isnt anything the factory has to offer you. New headunit, small amp for the mids, larger amp for the aftermarket subs, replace the speakers, bypass the factory amp, etc. Buy the harness for the new headunit, and then take a really good listen and see what brand sounds good to you, bring youre own cd so you can see what your music sounds like on them.

-There are 10 kinds of people. Those who understand binary, and those who do not.

-If we ever forget that we are One Nation Under God, then we will be a nation gone under...Ronald Reagan
#4 (permalink) Old 03-24-2009, 09:43 PM
n00b

(Thread Starter)
no the whole system sounds great and any quick solid beats sound fine but any continuous base is sketchy so all i want is new subs cuz the rest is great i just don't know how that works are there any that i could just swap in place of my HKs or do i need like a whole new setup and amp and shit. also i don't have the money to start over so i'm only looking to spend a few hundred

Last edited by BeamTrey2001; 03-24-2009 at 09:46 PM.
#5 (permalink) Old 03-24-2009, 09:49 PM
da_administrator

da_bull has a reputation beyond repute da_bull has a reputation beyond repute da_bull has a reputation beyond repute da_bull has a reputation beyond repute da_bull has a reputation beyond repute da_bull has a reputation beyond repute da_bull has a reputation beyond repute da_bull has a reputation beyond repute da_bull has a reputation beyond repute da_bull has a reputation beyond repute da_bull has a reputation beyond repute
not really, and have any performance. I am thinking they are 8"ers for subs, nobody really makes a decent 8" that is efficient enough for the factory amp.

-There are 10 kinds of people. Those who understand binary, and those who do not.

-If we ever forget that we are One Nation Under God, then we will be a nation gone under...Ronald Reagan
#6 (permalink) Old 03-25-2009, 06:49 PM
n00b

(Thread Starter)
ya i'm thinkin i gotta replace some of the speakers anyway. If i get new subs should i get two 10" or two 12" i hear that 10" sound better and people have been telling me not to go with twelves but i want my system to bang.
#7 (permalink) Old 03-25-2009, 07:05 PM
da_administrator

For the money difference, if you have the space for the box, I'd do 12's. I have 2 11" Focals in my car. They work for me.

#8 (permalink) Old 03-25-2009, 09:21 PM
n00b

(Thread Starter)
also i want to be able to crank it up louder than i could with my HKs should i go vented or not
#9 (permalink) Old 03-25-2009, 10:35 PM
da_administrator

It depends on the speakers. Some perform better sealed and some ported. A ported box is typically larger than the sealed counterpart.

#10 (permalink) Old 03-25-2009, 11:35 PM
n00b

(Thread Starter)
ya i actually just decided to go with sealed cuz ported won't fit in my trunk if i get 2 12s. Do you have any advice on how much i should pay for my subs, amp, installment, etc? Also how hard is it to replace my speakers. Plug n' play?
#11 (permalink) Old 03-26-2009, 08:27 AM
da_administrator

You just really need to listen to your music on a NUMBER of different speakers. One set will jump out at you. Dont go with friends, they have too much influence on your decision making. You need to buy the ones that are pleasing to your ears, not theirs. Your subs will probably run 100-150ea. the amp, probably somewhere around 250-500 depending. The speakers are drop in for the most part, but the plugs will have to be cut off and wired for the new ones. They'll run roughly 100+ per pair.

Check with a couple car audio shops in your area. If they wiggle or cringe in the slightest because you have a BMW, find a different shop. They arent that different than other cars, its just that most BMW owners dont upgrade often, and most shops arent that familiar with them.

#12 (permalink) Old 03-26-2009, 06:56 PM
n00b

(Thread Starter)
sounds good thanks for the help how much should i be paying on top of the cost of my amp and subs and box. You know like for installment? whats ball park range?
#13 (permalink) Old 03-26-2009, 08:15 PM
da_administrator

At the shop I used to run, we'd charge 40-50 labor for an amp (30-40 for parts), speakers were 30-50 per pair, headunit was 30-50 (plus parts). We had premade boxes for under 100 bucks, custom ones were higher.

#14 (permalink) Old 03-26-2009, 08:32 PM
n00b

(Thread Starter)
alright thanks for the input. My friends dad owns a car audio place of some sort and will make me a custom enclosure for cost of materials. it will just take a little longer since he has paying customers to take care of first. his sons system looks and sound almost mind blowingly good. so i figure its worth the wait.
#15 (permalink) Old 03-26-2009, 10:59 PM
da_administrator

yeah definitely if you can get an inside hook up. He can point you in the right direction. to werkz BTW. Come check out the lounge too, enjoy your stay. Look forward to pix and how you like the new system.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com > General Category > Audio and Electronics