Front Stage - BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com
BMW Forum BMW Forum

» Auto Insurance

» Featured Product
» Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com > General Category > Audio and Electronics
Register Home Forum Active Topics Gallery / Showroom Auto Loans Garage Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Auto EscrowInsurance

Audio and Electronics The place to go to discuss sound systems and show off your I.C.E. along with security systems and radar detectors too!

BimmerWerkz.com is the premier BMW Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-24-2004, 04:57 PM   #1 (permalink)
n00b

Car:
Photos:
squiggy is an unknown quantity at this point
Hey again, I've ordered the Q-logic custom kickpanels, and will have covered in BMW vinyl. I am thinking of the using the CDT upstage system in the A-pillars, which makes sense. Anyone heard them? www.cdtaudio.com. Anyway I need some help in deciding the best 6.5" components; I am thinking of Focal Utopia, or the KP series, MB Quart the Premier line or the Q line, or CDT HD line. Usually less speakers is better with the right install and enough power, but I have considered the 3 way systems which include the 4" in the door speaker? Any thoughts.
squiggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-24-2004, 09:23 PM   #2 (permalink)
Defector

Car:
Photos:
El Presidente is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via AIM to El Presidente
All of those are great. As usual, I have to reccomend Infinity, and in your case the Infinity Kappas. I could get you a hookup on Kappa Perfects if you'd like, or regular kappas.

If you have or plan a sub, I wouldn't use the 3way component setup.
El Presidente is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2004, 10:58 PM   #3 (permalink)
n00b

Car:
Photos:
trippinbillies40 is an unknown quantity at this point
Check out JL's new ZR line. Simply amazing sound. Imaging is amazing with them.
trippinbillies40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2004, 01:09 AM   #4 (permalink)
WOT in Reverse

Car:
Photos:
jllphan has a reputation beyond reputejllphan has a reputation beyond reputejllphan has a reputation beyond reputejllphan has a reputation beyond reputejllphan has a reputation beyond reputejllphan has a reputation beyond reputejllphan has a reputation beyond reputejllphan has a reputation beyond reputejllphan has a reputation beyond reputejllphan has a reputation beyond reputejllphan has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to jllphan
Im not familiar with CDT. Focal, Quart, and Infinity are good. So is Diamond Audio, DynaAudio, and PolkAudio.

Depending on the power supply, three way seperates could work. The 4" is a little superfluous IMO.
Old 07-26-2004, 11:48 AM   #5 (permalink)
/Banned

Car:
Photos:
okczy21 is an unknown quantity at this point
i got q logic kick panels with polk components running off a kicker 700.5 and they scream really loud dont waste your money on those brands u will get the same sound out of some polks from circuit city i picked them up for like 110 on my friends discount so if you know someone thats the way to go
okczy21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2004, 12:19 PM   #6 (permalink)
WOT in Reverse

Car:
Photos:
jllphan has a reputation beyond reputejllphan has a reputation beyond reputejllphan has a reputation beyond reputejllphan has a reputation beyond reputejllphan has a reputation beyond reputejllphan has a reputation beyond reputejllphan has a reputation beyond reputejllphan has a reputation beyond reputejllphan has a reputation beyond reputejllphan has a reputation beyond reputejllphan has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to jllphan
. Dude seriously, all speakers are not the same. PolkAudio is a solid choice (hence my recomendation) but there are much better out there. Some examples of better are those mentioned in this thread.

Like I said, your choice for component set would be predicated on the choice of power supply. Keep things linear.
Old 07-26-2004, 05:44 PM   #7 (permalink)
3rd Gear Member

Car:
Photos:
wulley1 is an unknown quantity at this point
It all depends on how serious you are about SQ, and how good of an ear you have. I'm a JL person, but have had infinity kappas and loved them. I would buy nothing from best buy or circuit city though. But that's just my impression of the SQ of the products they sell.
wulley1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2004, 06:53 PM   #8 (permalink)
Defector

Car:
Photos:
Circuit City is decent enough to carry alpine and infinity though.

Best Buy doesn't carry anything though.
Old 07-27-2004, 10:26 AM   #9 (permalink)
/Banned

Car:
Photos:
okczy21 is an unknown quantity at this point
i worked at best buy and there stuff is crap anytime you can buy a 12 inch sub on discount for 32 dollars you know there product is shit seriously polk components will take as much power as your gonna push to em and for the price vs. the way they sound i really wouldnt buy anything else i bought the same components for my last 2 cars ive had and never had a complaint and they sound great use the money you will save on the polks and buy some stuff for your ride
okczy21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2004, 04:19 AM   #10 (permalink)
n00b

Car:
Photos:
squiggy is an unknown quantity at this point
Thanks, everyone for the input. I appreciate everyone's opinion. To answer some of your questions is this. I plan to use either a JL Audio 300/2 or a Alpine MRV 420, so about 120 - 150 watts a channel. I am VERY SERIOUS about SQ. I am a practicing musician, I have hi-end headphones and home stereo at home. I expect the same SQ in my car just a lot louder, it's just me most of the time in my car, and the BMW is padded pretty good, I will still however use a little sound deadening. I have seemed to narrow my choices down to Dynaudio MK II or the Focal KP or the Utopia line. I have read some great things about these speakers. However I would really like the MB Quarts I have always used them, but their effeciency is 4.5 db, that means it would take more than twice the amp I have now to get same volume as the others. MB Quart does make a set that is as effecient as the other in the Premium line, but I have read the numbers, and just don't compare to the QSD. I have also read that the Boston PRO Z, and CDT HD would suit my taste in music. My taste in music is quite varied but I do tend to favor rock and like it loud and clear.
squiggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2004, 08:20 AM   #11 (permalink)
PMB
1st Gear Member

Car:
Photos:
PMB is an unknown quantity at this point
Given what you have said, firstly forget the 4" speakers. They will only disrupt imaging.

Speaker wise I would be looking at Dynaudio, Macrom* (the top end range) and possibly Soundstream (depending on your budget). These will all give you the clarity and dynamics you desire, along with good imaging.

If you listened to a more jazz orientated music then top end JL would be better.

For classical you run into problems on components. It is difficult to get the Infinity Kappa EMIT tweeters these days, and there really is no sunstitute. At least you don't have that problem.

* In case you have not heard of Macrom they are the car audio arm of Morel, who make some of the best drivers (in particular tweeters) in the world.
PMB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2004, 04:59 PM   #12 (permalink)
Defector

Car:
Photos:
great amp choice. I have one, and it sounds great.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com > General Category > Audio and Electronics