Forget speaker upgrade, go for an amp - BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com
BMW Forum BMW Forum

Auto Insurance

» Featured Product
Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com > General Category > Audio and Electronics
Register Home Forum Active Topics Gallery / Showroom Auto Loans Garage Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Auto EscrowInsurance

Audio and Electronics The place to go to discuss sound systems and show off your I.C.E. along with security systems and radar detectors too!

BimmerWerkz.com is the premier BMW Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-25-2005, 08:25 PM   #1 (permalink)
n00b

Car:
Photos:
Jon G. is an unknown quantity at this point
Forget speaker upgrade, go for an amp

Hi all,

Just finished the stereo upgrade in my '02 530i. I installed a new 4-channel amplifier then upgraded the front speakers.

The amp was upgraded about a month before the front speakers and was a great improvement over the stock unit. I am not sure what the specs are on the stock amp but it must be about 10w/channel or less given how much fuller (MUCH more bass) the sound is with a 100w/channel aftermarket amplifier. A 50w/channel amp probably would have worked just as well but the 100w/channel amp was what I had on the shelf. I mounted the amplifier underneath the package tray, in the trunk. In addition to the new amplifier I had to install a set of crossovers to replace the ones integral to the stock amplifier. I would recommend four 2-way crossovers. The front speakers are actually a 3-way design but the "mids" (mounted high on the door panel) and the "tweeters" mounted in the sharkfin can be wired together since both are 8-ohms and the resulting impedance will be 4-ohms. It might not be optimal but sounds fine.

The speaker upgrade was a lot of work and yeilded very little improvement over the OE setup. I would highly recommend skipping a speaker upgrade. If you should decide to proceed with an upgrade to a 2-way component set then I would recommend a woofer with a shallow mounting depth and a tweeter no larger than 3/4" --there's not much room for anything larger.

-Jon
Jon G. is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-26-2005, 01:08 AM   #2 (permalink)
5th Gear Member

Car:
Photos:
billB has a reputation beyond reputebillB has a reputation beyond reputebillB has a reputation beyond reputebillB has a reputation beyond reputebillB has a reputation beyond reputebillB has a reputation beyond reputebillB has a reputation beyond reputebillB has a reputation beyond reputebillB has a reputation beyond reputebillB has a reputation beyond reputebillB has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to billB
Moved the post to electronics leaving a link to it in the 5 series sub..for better answer and more exposure. Good luck

regards
billb
billB is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com > General Category > Audio and Electronics