explain this to me pls? - BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com
Audio and Electronics The place to go to discuss sound systems and show off your I.C.E. along with security systems and radar detectors too!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
#1 (permalink) Old 05-15-2008, 03:54 AM
The Messican

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
MiguelACA has a reputation beyond repute MiguelACA has a reputation beyond repute MiguelACA has a reputation beyond repute MiguelACA has a reputation beyond repute MiguelACA has a reputation beyond repute MiguelACA has a reputation beyond repute MiguelACA has a reputation beyond repute MiguelACA has a reputation beyond repute MiguelACA has a reputation beyond repute MiguelACA has a reputation beyond repute MiguelACA has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to MiguelACA
(Thread Starter)
explain this to me pls?

ok, so my cousin bought a jensen in dash dvd stereo thing, i wired it up for him everything is working perfectly, even the subs hit harder

here is my question...why do his two 10'' kicker comps (300/150 peak/rms watts) running off an xtreme 500/250 watt amplifer hit so fucking hard? seriously, they hit really damn hard, yet you can barely hear my 10'' cvx 1200/600 watts running off a xplod 900/500 watt amp? i know my trunk is sealed and all..but even then...his subs hit so damn hard?? is it because he has two of them? would two 300/150 watt subs thump way harder than one 10'' 1200/600 watt sub???

im thinking the box, but still, the box for my cvx has a pretty decent amount of airspace....it should be more than enough...although..i was thinking that the sub is pretty big and takes up quite a bit of room in the box....so, im gonna try one of my cousins comps in my box just for the hell of it see how it sounds

im just amazed at how much harder two little comps getting 125 rms watts each can hit like that while my cvx getting 500 rms watts is a joke compared to the comps

A morning of awkwardness is better than a night of loneliness
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 (permalink) Old 05-15-2008, 03:59 AM
Im Bluffin With My Muffin

AlpineSixAndSeven is a splendid one to behold AlpineSixAndSeven is a splendid one to behold AlpineSixAndSeven is a splendid one to behold AlpineSixAndSeven is a splendid one to behold AlpineSixAndSeven is a splendid one to behold AlpineSixAndSeven is a splendid one to behold AlpineSixAndSeven is a splendid one to behold
Send a message via AIM to AlpineSixAndSeven
.... yes 2 normally is louder then one...they just move alot more air.... also ported vs. non ported?..... Amp brand does help to... alot of brands seem to claim higher numbers....

1991 Ford Taurs SHO 5 Speed White on Tan
1996 Chevy Lumina LTZ Rep 3.4L
1992 318i Coupe parts car
1992 325i Ls1 swap with a T56 6 speed 12.2 quarter mile
1976 Mercedes Benz 300D with a Ford 5.0L Fuel Injected soon to be Modded
I am Captain Obvious
#3 (permalink) Old 05-15-2008, 04:02 AM
The Messican

MiguelACA has a reputation beyond repute MiguelACA has a reputation beyond repute MiguelACA has a reputation beyond repute MiguelACA has a reputation beyond repute MiguelACA has a reputation beyond repute MiguelACA has a reputation beyond repute MiguelACA has a reputation beyond repute MiguelACA has a reputation beyond repute MiguelACA has a reputation beyond repute MiguelACA has a reputation beyond repute MiguelACA has a reputation beyond repute
(Thread Starter)
both of us have sealed boxes, its ridiculous how hard his subs are hitting though...can two subs make that much a difference over one? should i swap my cvx for for 2 comps??

#4 (permalink) Old 05-15-2008, 06:43 AM
da_administrator

da_bull has a reputation beyond repute da_bull has a reputation beyond repute da_bull has a reputation beyond repute da_bull has a reputation beyond repute da_bull has a reputation beyond repute da_bull has a reputation beyond repute da_bull has a reputation beyond repute da_bull has a reputation beyond repute da_bull has a reputation beyond repute da_bull has a reputation beyond repute da_bull has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via MSN to da_bull
what flavor of car does he have? convertible? hatch? trunk? etc. All those things make a BIG difference. One of the louder cars I've sat in was an RX-7 with 3-8" JL W6's and a 1000 watt amp. This thing hurt. I was pretty suprised. It was impressive for what it had.

-There are 10 kinds of people. Those who understand binary, and those who do not.

-If we ever forget that we are One Nation Under God, then we will be a nation gone under...Ronald Reagan
#5 (permalink) Old 05-15-2008, 12:55 PM
The Messican

(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by da_bull View Post
what flavor of car does he have? convertible? hatch? trunk? etc. All those things make a BIG difference. One of the louder cars I've sat in was an RX-7 with 3-8" JL W6's and a 1000 watt amp. This thing hurt. I was pretty suprised. It was impressive for what it had.
he has a 2002 mustang coupe

#6 (permalink) Old 05-15-2008, 02:06 PM
2nd Gear Member

winters97E39 is a jewel in the rough winters97E39 is a jewel in the rough winters97E39 is a jewel in the rough
To make things somwhat even, stick his box in your trunk hooked to your amp, then you will have an apples to apples comparison of the subs..

Make sure that his subs don't present a resistance load that is too low for your amp, though. You can fry an amp like that.. trust me, I did it once...

With two subs, you can wire in parallel, thereby dropping the resistance in half.. 4 ohm speakers become 2 ohm load to the amp, twice the power able to flow. A 2 Ohm dual voice coil sub running in parallel will present a 1 Ohm load. If your amp isnt 1 Ohm stable then watch for the smoke when you start hittin the bass.

How is your sub hooked up? is it DVC? Are you running the amp in bridged mono mode? What is your xover set at? There are lots and lots of variable to how your sub will sound. I have had lots of different combinations of subs, single 12", single 10, dual 10", dual 12, all in various configurations, and its all in how you tune it, what components you use, what configuration you use.

Jason / 1997 528i
#7 (permalink) Old 05-15-2008, 02:13 PM
The Messican

(Thread Starter)
his sub box is way big, no way in hell it would ever fit into my z3

i think his subs are 4ohm single voice coil wired down two 2ohms and bridged on a mono amp

i have a 4ohm dual voice coil, wired in parallel and bridged also

the only thing i can think of is that my subwoofer box is somewhat too small for the sub, i have polyfill in there and it helps, but i dunno, i expected alot more from the cvx, it hits real nice, i just imagined it would hit harder

#8 (permalink) Old 05-15-2008, 02:52 PM
2nd Gear Member

winters97E39 is a jewel in the rough winters97E39 is a jewel in the rough winters97E39 is a jewel in the rough
Quote:
Originally Posted by MiguelACA View Post
his sub box is way big, no way in hell it would ever fit into my z3

i think his subs are 4ohm single voice coil wired down two 2ohms and bridged on a mono amp

i have a 4ohm dual voice coil, wired in parallel and bridged also

the only thing i can think of is that my subwoofer box is somewhat too small for the sub, i have polyfill in there and it helps, but i dunno, i expected alot more from the cvx, it hits real nice, i just imagined it would hit harder
Could be it...two subs, plus more airspace = harder hittin...

A good sounding stereo should be one that hits hard enough for you to enjoy in your car, not annoy the shit out of everyone around you. As long as it sounds good to you inside your car, that is all that matters. People who drive around booming their loud ass ported 18" subs so that I can hear them 1/2 a mile away make me want to pull out the Glock and empty the magazine into their amplifier.

Jason / 1997 528i
#9 (permalink) Old 05-15-2008, 03:10 PM
You Can Has A Custom Title!!

german-speed-demon has a brilliant future german-speed-demon has a brilliant future german-speed-demon has a brilliant future german-speed-demon has a brilliant future german-speed-demon has a brilliant future german-speed-demon has a brilliant future german-speed-demon has a brilliant future german-speed-demon has a brilliant future german-speed-demon has a brilliant future german-speed-demon has a brilliant future german-speed-demon has a brilliant future
Quote:
Originally Posted by winters97E39 View Post

A good sounding stereo should be one that hits hard enough for you to enjoy in your car, not annoy the shit out of everyone around you. As long as it sounds good to you inside your car, that is all that matters. People who drive around booming their loud ass ported 18" subs so that I can hear them 1/2 a mile away make me want to pull out the Glock and empty the magazine into their amplifier.
amen brotha

R.I.P fast 6

Two wheels or Four, I'm happy as long as the throttle is pinned.
#10 (permalink) Old 05-15-2008, 04:03 PM
The Messican

(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by winters97E39 View Post

yea, i know what you mean, i just want some more bass in the cabin, and really thought a bigger sub with a bigger amp could/would hit harder than the two other subs with way less power, pfft...im getting an suv next year and loading with 4 12'' L7s lol

#11 (permalink) Old 05-15-2008, 04:18 PM
Im Bluffin With My Muffin

AlpineSixAndSeven is a splendid one to behold AlpineSixAndSeven is a splendid one to behold AlpineSixAndSeven is a splendid one to behold AlpineSixAndSeven is a splendid one to behold AlpineSixAndSeven is a splendid one to behold AlpineSixAndSeven is a splendid one to behold AlpineSixAndSeven is a splendid one to behold
Send a message via AIM to AlpineSixAndSeven
^ screw that! Solo X baby!

I have hooked up a couple REALLY load but CLEAN hitting systems.... the hardest hitting on is my buddys dropped 2003 black S-10 King cab with 2 12" CVR's and it hits HELLA hard.... it is also in a large sealed box... i cant remember with amp he is running off hand but i can find out... the amp makes a HUGE differance....

92 Jeep chreokee with 2 L5's in a lexain Box the biggest differance which over doubled the bass(also hit cleaner...) was upping the wires to 4 gauge and putting dual kicker amps with the same power rating(combined) as the off brand he had...

1991 Ford Taurs SHO 5 Speed White on Tan
1996 Chevy Lumina LTZ Rep 3.4L
1992 318i Coupe parts car
1992 325i Ls1 swap with a T56 6 speed 12.2 quarter mile
1976 Mercedes Benz 300D with a Ford 5.0L Fuel Injected soon to be Modded
I am Captain Obvious
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com > General Category > Audio and Electronics