E46 HK Speakers Cutting Out - BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com
BMW Forum BMW Forum

Auto Insurance

» Featured Product
Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com > General Category > Audio and Electronics
Register Home Forum Active Topics Gallery / Showroom Auto Loans Garage Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Auto EscrowInsurance

Audio and Electronics The place to go to discuss sound systems and show off your I.C.E. along with security systems and radar detectors too!

BimmerWerkz.com is the premier BMW Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-25-2009, 12:51 PM   #1 (permalink)
crg
n00b

Car: 2001 325i
Photos:
crg is on a distinguished road
E46 HK Speakers Cutting Out

After listening to music for about 30 minutes the sound fades out of all speakers except for rear sub-woofers. After turning off for a few minutes and then back on, complete sound returns. It then fades out again after 5 minutes or so. Could this be amp or wiring problem?
crg is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-25-2009, 01:01 PM   #2 (permalink)
Mr. Clean

Car: Titanium Silver E39 / 2011 BMW M3
Photos:
BimmerE39 will become famous soon enough
Garage
It sounds to me like an amp problem although it could be a wiring problem as well. I'm leaning towards amp problem because at least in my experience, when an amp overheats it cuts back power to prevent a thermal overload. This sounds odd to me because the factory amplifiers should have ample cooling and aren't ultra powerful either. IDK on this one but to me it sounds like an amp problem.
Old 01-25-2009, 01:09 PM   #3 (permalink)
crg
n00b

Photos:
That seems probable considering the problem happens more frequently on warmer days. I'll assume the amp needs to be replaced...
Old 01-25-2009, 01:17 PM   #4 (permalink)
Mr. Clean

Photos:
Garage
You might have to, I've never had the problem with a factory amplifier, but it could also be a simple fix as well. I used to have a 4-channel amplifier in my E39 that would start cutting out on warm days within minutes of playing my music loud and a lot of what you are saying is happening is reminding me of those bad times. I'm hoping someone else will chime in on this. OE sound systems are not my forte.
Old 01-25-2009, 01:25 PM   #5 (permalink)
drz
Administrator

Car: zhp
Photos:
drz has a reputation beyond reputedrz has a reputation beyond reputedrz has a reputation beyond reputedrz has a reputation beyond reputedrz has a reputation beyond reputedrz has a reputation beyond reputedrz has a reputation beyond reputedrz has a reputation beyond reputedrz has a reputation beyond reputedrz has a reputation beyond reputedrz has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to drz Send a message via MSN to drz
I work with a group that designs, manufactures, and sells car audio amplifier integrated circuits, and everything I read in this thread screams over-temperature shutdown.
Old 01-25-2009, 10:37 PM   #6 (permalink)
da_administrator

Car: Its slow, gotta M20 in it
Photos:
da_bull has a reputation beyond reputeda_bull has a reputation beyond reputeda_bull has a reputation beyond reputeda_bull has a reputation beyond reputeda_bull has a reputation beyond reputeda_bull has a reputation beyond reputeda_bull has a reputation beyond reputeda_bull has a reputation beyond reputeda_bull has a reputation beyond reputeda_bull has a reputation beyond reputeda_bull has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via MSN to da_bull
yuppers...

Also check your bass/loudness settings. If you listen to a lot of bass-heavy music, and also crank the bass and/or loudness settings on your radio, and then crank the volume up, the speakers arent really designed for that kind of abuse, and your forcing the amp to play notes its not really designed for, overheating it causing it to shut down until cool then its fine. Does this happen at low volumes too?

-There are 10 kinds of people. Those who understand binary, and those who do not.

-If we ever forget that we are One Nation Under God, then we will be a nation gone under...Ronald Reagan
da_bull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2009, 07:19 PM   #7 (permalink)
crg
n00b

Photos:
I've never paid attention to the volume, although that sounds reasonable. Would you recommend replacing the amp? I've enjoyed the stereo for 2 years and it just started a couple of months ago. It seems to be happening more frequently as well.
Old 01-29-2009, 07:54 PM   #8 (permalink)
da_administrator

Photos:
da_bull has a reputation beyond reputeda_bull has a reputation beyond reputeda_bull has a reputation beyond reputeda_bull has a reputation beyond reputeda_bull has a reputation beyond reputeda_bull has a reputation beyond reputeda_bull has a reputation beyond reputeda_bull has a reputation beyond reputeda_bull has a reputation beyond reputeda_bull has a reputation beyond reputeda_bull has a reputation beyond repute
The amp is probably ok, I'd focus more on the speakers first.

-There are 10 kinds of people. Those who understand binary, and those who do not.

-If we ever forget that we are One Nation Under God, then we will be a nation gone under...Ronald Reagan
Old 01-30-2009, 06:25 PM   #9 (permalink)
crg
n00b

Photos:
I'm continuing to have the problem, even after turning down the bass and listening to soft classical music. How should I determine if it's a speaker issue versus an amp issue? I have the HK "premium sound" (whether that makes any difference).
Old 01-30-2009, 08:23 PM   #10 (permalink)
da_administrator

Photos:
The car is 9 years old and no telling how old the speakers are (E46 runs from 99-up, but I cant remember if they used the same ones prior), they're at least 9. I'd start there. The smaller ones usually go first, listen to each one closely and see if any crackle/hiss/pop/etc. at a medium volume.

Old 02-01-2009, 12:29 PM   #11 (permalink)
crg
n00b

Photos:
The front speakers seem to sound fine (when they're engaged). The total overall sound is fantastic...until all the sound fades back into just the sub woofers in back. Something is overheating... Is there any way of testing an amp before replacing it?
Old 02-01-2009, 03:28 PM   #12 (permalink)
Mr. Clean

Photos:
Garage
If I were you, and this is me just joking, but I would rip everything out and do a hardcore upgrade! In all seriousness, I don't know of any tests to check to see if it's not working properly. I've bench tested amplifiers before I installed them in my car but that was just to see that they would turn on and off. If it's an overheating problem I still think it would be an internal problem. You could always go to a good car audio shop and ask them to check it out for you. Chances are they are going to be more familiar with the system in your car than a BMW dealership would be. Just my $.02.

BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com > General Category > Audio and Electronics