E46 Audio Upgrade - BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com
Audio and Electronics The place to go to discuss sound systems and show off your I.C.E. along with security systems and radar detectors too!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
#1 (permalink) Old 11-07-2004, 09:23 AM
n00b

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Matthewuk25 is an unknown quantity at this point
(Thread Starter)
Arrow

Hello all, I was hoping for some advice on the infinity component speakers. I have been reading through all the threads and infinity seems to be a good choice and recommended often therefore I have decided to upgrade my stock audio system with the Infinity components. The car is a E46 328I with business cd/hu and 6 cd changer.

The main problem I now face is that there are 2 models to choose from,
1. Infinity Reference series
2. Infinity Kappa series

Has anyone compared these two models and what would the recommendations be from all that have tried these. Would i need to use seperates on the back shelf or go for coaxials as i don't believe there is any room for a tweeter below the rear grill.

Another small issue I have run into that I was hoping to get advice on was speaker size, I know that there is an adapter to fit 5.25in speakers into the factory locations but would it be possible to fit the 6in separate into the standard location.

I will also be purchasing a sub for the low-down, I have sourced a company that make stealth boxes for the E46 so I would not loose to much of my boot but is it worth while putting a Infinity Perfect 12.1 in the boot or just using the Infinity Basslink-x.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
M@
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 (permalink) Old 11-12-2004, 12:06 AM
WOT in Reverse

jllphan has a reputation beyond repute jllphan has a reputation beyond repute jllphan has a reputation beyond repute jllphan has a reputation beyond repute jllphan has a reputation beyond repute jllphan has a reputation beyond repute jllphan has a reputation beyond repute jllphan has a reputation beyond repute jllphan has a reputation beyond repute jllphan has a reputation beyond repute jllphan has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to jllphan
Infinity makes two lines for a reason....

Kappas are to be used with an decent external aftermarket amp.

Reference are to be used with good oem or aftermarket head unit.

Not sure what goes in an e46, you can find out at Crutchfield.com and clicking on what fits my car. I would recomend standard replacement size or maybe a 5.25" with an adaptor if you REALLY want to.

The basslink is good, a Kappa Perfect and a decent mono amp would be much better.

#3 (permalink) Old 11-12-2004, 05:07 AM
PMB
1st Gear Member

PMB is an unknown quantity at this point
The E46 uses 6" speakers not 6.5. As JLPHAN says the ref series will work best without a separate amp. For the rears (if you put any in at all) use the components but don't install the tweeters. My preference is to not have rears at all as they just disorientate the sound. 6 inch ref comps. at the frons and a sub sounds fantastis even with teh stock HU.

For the sub, here is what I did.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	subs.JPG
Views:	1184
Size:	27.4 KB
ID:	14325  
#4 (permalink) Old 11-12-2004, 01:50 PM
n00b

(Thread Starter)
Thanks for the responces, i have just ordered 2 sets of focal compnents but have not decided on the subs yet. The components will be driven by a 4 channel rockford fosgate amp which served me well in my previous car. I was thinking of either 1x 12" focal or 2 x 8.5" focal subs to go with my other rockford mono amp.

I am just trying to figure out which would be best. If i chose the 12" it will go into a stealth box in the rear side cavity of the boot. The other option would be to use 2 x 8.5" with a custom built box to the rear shelf. Any thoughts from members would be appreciated.

I unfortunatly bought the seperates before reading the replies so i just hope the focals will be ok as i was origionaly going to by the infinity kappa 's

m@
#5 (permalink) Old 11-12-2004, 08:45 PM
WOT in Reverse

jllphan has a reputation beyond repute jllphan has a reputation beyond repute jllphan has a reputation beyond repute jllphan has a reputation beyond repute jllphan has a reputation beyond repute jllphan has a reputation beyond repute jllphan has a reputation beyond repute jllphan has a reputation beyond repute jllphan has a reputation beyond repute jllphan has a reputation beyond repute jllphan has a reputation beyond repute
Seperates are fine, PMB was just sayiing that there is no need for tweets in the rear as music is generally recorded in stereo not quad therefore you gain a little better imaging with full range up front and mids for rear fill.

As for subs, I would recomend the 12". 6" speakers can reproduce down to 50hz pretty easily, so all you need the sub for is extremely low frequencies. Generally speaking a 12" sub can do this better than an 8". Just make sure to buy a big enough amp for the sub so it can keep up with faster paced music.

#6 (permalink) Old 11-12-2004, 10:00 PM
1st Gear Member

E36KindaGuy is an unknown quantity at this point
Buy MB Quart
#7 (permalink) Old 11-25-2004, 02:59 PM
n00b

(Thread Starter)
Hello all, thanks for your responses and advice. I just thought I would say I eventually decided and purchased the Focal 6.5 inch components and am very impressed with the results, they are installed in the standard locations(with some minor modifications) connected to a 300x Rockford 4 channel amp. They are crystal clear and produce a very clear and crisp sound. Well worth the extra money…
#8 (permalink) Old 11-26-2004, 03:32 PM
Neutral Member

tisinotjon is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via AIM to tisinotjon
Reference arent good ive had a pair of the 12" and i blew them in a month or so.. so i havent tried the kappa perfects they are good from what i hear if you are talking about the subs but the speakers infinity makes are prety lowend like mb quart mehhh

jl and boston are what i have for speakers all around they are what makes my car SCREAAAAAm
#9 (permalink) Old 12-01-2004, 08:15 AM
WOT in Reverse

Quote:
Originally posted by tisinotjon@Nov 26 2004, 03:32 PM
Reference arent good ive had a pair of the 12" and i blew them in a month or so.. so i havent tried the kappa perfects they are good from what i hear if you are talking about the subs but the speakers infinity makes are prety lowend like mb quart mehhh

jl and boston are what i have for speakers all around they are what makes my car SCREAAAAAm
[snapback]237958[/snapback]

Guess you had them improperly installed or something. Infinity makes some of the best speakers out there...period. If you blew them in a month, you were doing something wrong. They make fine speakers, albeit generally designed to be less wang wang, and more for music.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com > General Category > Audio and Electronics