E39 2000 Sound System Upgrade - BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com
Audio and Electronics The place to go to discuss sound systems and show off your I.C.E. along with security systems and radar detectors too!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
#1 (permalink) Old 11-17-2004, 02:12 AM
n00b

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Golden Boy is an unknown quantity at this point
(Thread Starter)
Thumbs up

I own a 2000 E39 with its stock GPS/TV system The CD changer and the 8 speakers are stock : 4 tweeters, 2 13 cm medium in the front doors and two 16 cm woofers at the back.
The first annoying thing : the radio unit is located on the left side of the trunk and in the dasboard there are only connectors.
I want the system to appear unchanged (againt theft and also not to bother "destroying" everything)
I've had a 1994 BMW and I can tell you that unwanted noises are numerous... so by experience I know thatthe electronics in thses cars really are a pain in the neck !
To enhance the bass sound I opted for a Focal subwooker 27 kx in a closed box with the woofer delivering its bass in the car through the ski hole (something like 40 liters is largely enough). I want to keep the use of my trunk !
Then the front speakers will be replaced by Focal 130 V2 + Focal TN52 tweeters which are more subtle than the stock TN 51.
No problem so far to adapt all these speakers.
So where are the problems ?
THE AMPLIFIER !
You can certainly help me.
Have some of you added an aftermarket amplifier ? if so how did you get to connect between the radio unit and the amplifier as there are no RCA out on the stock BMW radio ? Did you use :
- an high level entry amplifier and was the sound rsult satisfactory ?
- HP-RCA convertors ?
OR second solution have you added the BMW option amplifier called Sound Modul which includes a 4 way amplifier (100 watts RMS) and was the power enough for aftermarket speakers ?I phoned BMW France and it was really hard to find information about this Sound Modul system : the brand is ACR (unknown to me) adn the speakers are supposed to be better...that's all.
Thank you.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 (permalink) Old 11-18-2004, 02:29 AM
n00b

(Thread Starter)
I have decided for the amplifier : it will be a DLS A (2*50 + 1*300). I there a parasite noises, the solution is to have a booster adapter AB70 which enhances the signal from 0.8v to 4v and then into a preamplifier such as Caliber NT 7 and that's set.
When it's finished I will post some pics.
#3 (permalink) Old 12-02-2004, 11:40 AM
n00b

(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally posted by Golden Boy@Nov 18 2004, 08:29 AM
I have decided for the amplifier : it will be a DLS A (2*50 + 1*300). I there a parasite noises, the solution is to have a booster adapter AB70 which enhances the signal from 0.8v to 4v and then into a preamplifier such as Caliber NT 7 and that's set.
When it's finished I will post some pics.
[snapback]232951[/snapback]
So my upgrade has been finished, and the installer didn't need the AB 70 and NT 7 !
It works perfectly without any disturbances.
#4 (permalink) Old 02-01-2007, 09:29 PM
n00b

Dale is an unknown quantity at this point
Question Dale

Quote:
Originally Posted by Golden Boy
So my upgrade has been finished, and the installer didn't need the AB 70 and NT 7 !
It works perfectly without any disturbances.

I have a 2000 e39 with factory radio. I would like to upgrage the front speakers. Is it possible without to much hassle?

Thanks,
Dale used:
#5 (permalink) Old 02-01-2007, 09:56 PM
I am Teh Edumacator.

Teh Prof has much to be proud of Teh Prof has much to be proud of Teh Prof has much to be proud of Teh Prof has much to be proud of Teh Prof has much to be proud of Teh Prof has much to be proud of Teh Prof has much to be proud of Teh Prof has much to be proud of Teh Prof has much to be proud of Teh Prof has much to be proud of
Send a message via AIM to Teh Prof
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dale
I have a 2000 e39 with factory radio. I would like to upgrage the front speakers. Is it possible without to much hassle?

Thanks,
Dale used:
Easily done. The simplest way is to look up the parts that crutchfield recommends and then buy them from someone else cheaper.

1999 E39 540i/6-VF Stage 1 S/C, Dinan exhaust, Dinan strut+shock braces, Dinan ltwt flywheel + clutch, Dinan Brembo BBK, Dinan monoball, H&R Springs, Koni Yellows, M5 sways, Dinan forged 18" wheels, &c.

1995 E38 740i. Highly modded. Faster than you.

Sold 2-28-07: 1997 E36 M3/4, 8-30-05 RIP 1997 528i

Lindsay fan club member.
#6 (permalink) Old 02-01-2007, 10:34 PM
da_administrator

da_bull has a reputation beyond repute da_bull has a reputation beyond repute da_bull has a reputation beyond repute da_bull has a reputation beyond repute da_bull has a reputation beyond repute da_bull has a reputation beyond repute da_bull has a reputation beyond repute da_bull has a reputation beyond repute da_bull has a reputation beyond repute da_bull has a reputation beyond repute da_bull has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via MSN to da_bull
holy old thread batman

to werkz Dale...

-There are 10 kinds of people. Those who understand binary, and those who do not.

-If we ever forget that we are One Nation Under God, then we will be a nation gone under...Ronald Reagan
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com > General Category > Audio and Electronics