E39 (1999) Radio Problem, Please Help - BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com
Audio and Electronics The place to go to discuss sound systems and show off your I.C.E. along with security systems and radar detectors too!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
#1 (permalink) Old 01-15-2005, 03:56 AM
n00b

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
anandvardhan is an unknown quantity at this point
(Thread Starter)
I have an E39 from 1999 (UK model) with Professional audio system which includes a 6 CD changer and an amp in the boot. My audio system is stuck on a rather high volume and won't adjust from the vol knob or steering controls. Also, the tone cannot be adjusted and fader and left/right speaker selector are gone. However, the radio reception, casette and the CD changer are working fine. I got another head unit (from a 1998 528i) which plugs in fine and works but the same problem persists. My dealer won't tell me where the problem is but will change the whole system at the cost of an arm and a leg (and take the old system as well!).

I have been advised aftermarket systems but am not sure if I like the way most of them look.

Has anyone experienced a similar problem and what's the best way out?

Anand
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 (permalink) Old 01-15-2005, 09:18 PM
WOT in Reverse

jllphan has a reputation beyond repute jllphan has a reputation beyond repute jllphan has a reputation beyond repute jllphan has a reputation beyond repute jllphan has a reputation beyond repute jllphan has a reputation beyond repute jllphan has a reputation beyond repute jllphan has a reputation beyond repute jllphan has a reputation beyond repute jllphan has a reputation beyond repute jllphan has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to jllphan
If you have replaced your deck, by process of elimination, it's obviously your amp.

The head unit works as merely a preamp, and you have a remotely located amp in the "boot". Replace that, and your probably fine.

Weird though, I would think it would be the volume potentiometer.

#3 (permalink) Old 01-16-2005, 02:51 AM
n00b

anandvardhan is an unknown quantity at this point
(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally posted by jllphan@Jan 16 2005, 04:18 AM
If you have replaced your deck, by process of elimination, it's obviously your amp.

The head unit works as merely a preamp, and you have a remotely located amp in the "boot". Replace that, and your probably fine.

Weird though, I would think it would be the volume potentiometer.
[snapback]272313[/snapback]
Thanks for that lead. Will give it a go.

I just had another thought. There is no way for me to know if the other head unit that I got from e-bay doesn't have the same problem as mine. Now what are the chances of that?

Anand
#4 (permalink) Old 01-16-2005, 09:31 AM
WOT in Reverse

jllphan has a reputation beyond repute jllphan has a reputation beyond repute jllphan has a reputation beyond repute jllphan has a reputation beyond repute jllphan has a reputation beyond repute jllphan has a reputation beyond repute jllphan has a reputation beyond repute jllphan has a reputation beyond repute jllphan has a reputation beyond repute jllphan has a reputation beyond repute jllphan has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to jllphan
Astronomical

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com > General Category > Audio and Electronics