BMW Werkz banner

E36 radio problem

4K views 23 replies 5 participants last post by  jllphan 
#1 ·
I've got a 1996 328is E36 and my radio has been acting strange the past couple weeks.

Sometimes the radio works fine, then the next time I start the car the radio will not turn on, no blinking red LED security light either with the key removed. I checked the fuses, and none were blown. I pulled the fuses anyway and replaced them with the spares.

After a few times of pulling and re-installing fuses :banghead , the radio asked for the security code. I entered it and everything seemed to be fine. Until a few starts later when the same thing happened. No red LED, no power, no sound, until I play with the fuses and re-enter the code. And that only works temporarily.

Is it a lose wire connection in the back, or a bad head unit? Would replacing the head unit fix it, or do I need to have someone check the wiring all together?

Also my fuel gage will occasionally fall to the end of the needle travel (both full and empty sides), a simple tap usually restores it. Is this most likely a loose connection in the back that is easily fixed (I've replaced bulbs in the instrument cluster before)?

Any ideas would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

See less See more
#2 ·
how do we know what the security code is and what is it used for on the OBCII ?

#4 ·
The constant hot is red with a white stripe.

Intermitent problems suck. It is probably the oem deck dieing a slow death.

The only thing that makes me think that it is probably not the constant wire, is the fact that it (as well as all the other radio leads) are snapped securely into the back of the radio. It is possible but not likely that the entire harness has loosened and needs to be fitted more tightly. Have you done any work behind the dash recently that could have caused this?

BTW, I would be willing to bet a new aftermarket deck would fix this, as well as improve your sound quality.

#8 ·
Thanks for the info, no I have never pulled the radio HU, only the instrument cluster about a year and a half ago to replace a blown bulb. Will try pulling the HU to see if there are any obvious lose wire connections, then will decide about new(er) OEM or aftermarket. Any recommendations on aftermarket that will control the BMW/Apline CD changer in the trunk?

Also any thoughts on the fuel gage? It is definitely sensitive to tapping on the front and works most of the time. Just not looking forward to pulling the instrument cluster again as it was a VERY tight fit when I worked with the bulb.

#9 ·
I'd ad it, but it only gives you so much room. add the if its broke line that is. if anyone wants to volunteer to write to an audio FAQ I can pin it if he can't.

#10 ·
rwitt: sounds good. Yank the oem, check for loosened or damaged wires, and baring the abscence of such, I would replace the deck. As for fuel gauge, ya probably didn't tighten the lead.

guys: I will try to work on an FAQ soon. I am just really busy this summer. Way more than I wanted.

#12 ·
Still in the desgn stage. In typical male fashion, I like to procrastinate, and then scramble to make a deadline.

Thinking of possiblely incorporating blue and white vinyl to make a roundel, but can't quite figure out how to do it and not look like some teenage bullsh#$t.

We are so hijacking this guys thread....

#13 ·
yep.

I like the roundel idea, but not the blue and white. What I would do is cut some thin layers of foam in the shape of the roundel and then just carpet over that, giving it an embossed look.

I think doing the letters BMW would also look good that way. Damn it. I'd have done that on mine if I had thought about it.

#14 ·
We just completed a BIG install for a customer and just happened to have enough vinyl left over for me to play with. There is also a fair amount of black.

We did the embossed thing you speak of with that install. I may just do that. Lemme see if I can find some picks of that install. It's in a Dodge truck, and it's way teenager, but the work is pretty good for what we normally do around the store (we speciallize in home audio/video a lot more than +12volt).

#16 ·
It would be hard to get the carpet cut just right, unless you had a very steady hand and great exacto knife. too much will leave a gap and too little cause an overlap. I guess the same is true with the vinyl too. Haven't worked with it before.

#19 ·
LOL. Looks like someone like punisher a bit too much

Seriously though, I mean wow. Little too flashy much for me. I repect it for what it though and acknowledge its a good job.

#22 ·
nah, haven't bought mine yet. I just sold my paintball gun on ebay for 300. I need to wait to collect money for the old sub/amp box before I buy it. I thought about buying it this week, but put the 410 into savings instead. if you'd like, I'll PM you the link to low price. Its only around 465 for just the body.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.