E36 Head Unit connections - BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com
Audio and Electronics The place to go to discuss sound systems and show off your I.C.E. along with security systems and radar detectors too!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
#1 (permalink) Old 03-29-2004, 06:36 AM
n00b

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Morpheous is an unknown quantity at this point
(Thread Starter)
Hi,

I've got an E36 BMW Coupe (1998) here in the UK and would like to install an external AMP. I'm totally new to this and I gather this has probably been mentioned enough times, but unfortunately I cant seem to find much descriptions on the web (and some sites are barred from work!). I wish to keep the standard BMW RDS Head Unit and possibly connect the AMP.

Is this possible? How about the speaker connections? I already have a BMW CD Changer in place in the boot (trunk).

Cheers for your help guys.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 (permalink) Old 03-29-2004, 12:10 PM
WOT in Reverse

jllphan has a reputation beyond repute jllphan has a reputation beyond repute jllphan has a reputation beyond repute jllphan has a reputation beyond repute jllphan has a reputation beyond repute jllphan has a reputation beyond repute jllphan has a reputation beyond repute jllphan has a reputation beyond repute jllphan has a reputation beyond repute jllphan has a reputation beyond repute jllphan has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to jllphan
If your car's electrical plumbing is the same as the NA cars (which i'm sure it is) then check the thread i just posted here

#3 (permalink) Old 03-30-2004, 05:00 AM
n00b

Morpheous is an unknown quantity at this point
(Thread Starter)
Hi,

many thanks for the reply. In your post to the other member you mentioned a factory amp. I didnt know there was one. Is this located in the boot (trunk)? Would I potentially need to run any cabling to the front console or could I just hook everything up to the cabling in the factory amp?

Many thanks
#4 (permalink) Old 03-30-2004, 07:46 PM
You Can Has A Custom Title!!

007ben is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via AIM to 007ben Send a message via Yahoo to 007ben
you can just hook up and keep things how they are.

if you want to bypass the factory amp its gonna take a lot more work. that willt take rewiring the whole mess and either some crossovers or new speakers...

2008 128i Jetblack
#5 (permalink) Old 03-30-2004, 10:09 PM
WOT in Reverse

jllphan has a reputation beyond repute jllphan has a reputation beyond repute jllphan has a reputation beyond repute jllphan has a reputation beyond repute jllphan has a reputation beyond repute jllphan has a reputation beyond repute jllphan has a reputation beyond repute jllphan has a reputation beyond repute jllphan has a reputation beyond repute jllphan has a reputation beyond repute jllphan has a reputation beyond repute
To my knowledge, most of the e36 cars have a factory amp. I would assume any of these cars that have the multiple speaker set up (1" tweets and 4" mids in door, 5.25 in the kick panel and 5.25 in the rear deck) would need an external factory amp to run all of that. I have never seen one of these cars without this speaker set up, so i guess they all do (have the factory amp). It is located under the rear seat. When i tapped the wire for the aftermarket amp turn on wire, i did so at the radio because i was replacing it and running rca's. if you don't wish to pull an amp turn on wire all the way from the radio location, i'm sure you could tap the factory amp location, but i dont know which lead terminating in the factory amp is the one that turns it on and off. I'll look into it or maybe someone will beat me to it and post the answer.

#6 (permalink) Old 03-30-2004, 10:20 PM
1st Gear Member

eloff19 is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via AIM to eloff19
not trying to be an ass, but rears are 4" stock and doors are 3.5 (where equipped); easily modified to whatever you want though for hte rears
#7 (permalink) Old 03-31-2004, 12:02 AM
Defector

El Presidente is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via AIM to El Presidente
yeah, being an ass is MY job, thank you very much!

Anyway, Jeff's right about the speaker setup.

<span style='color:gray'><span style='font-family:Courier'>1995 e36 3 Series RIP
1999 e46 3 Series BURN IN HELL
2000 MR-S Roadster= Current</span></span>
#8 (permalink) Old 03-31-2004, 01:32 PM
WOT in Reverse

Sorry assholes , i have yet to remove those drivers and just assumed it was the same as my old 5. Thanks for the heads up!!

#9 (permalink) Old 03-31-2004, 04:20 PM
1st Gear Member

eloff19 is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via AIM to eloff19
haha

i love this place
#10 (permalink) Old 04-01-2004, 12:37 AM
Defector

El Presidente is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via AIM to El Presidente

<span style='color:gray'><span style='font-family:Courier'>1995 e36 3 Series RIP
1999 e46 3 Series BURN IN HELL
2000 MR-S Roadster= Current</span></span>
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com > General Category > Audio and Electronics