E36 front component 3.5" speakers - BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com
BMW Forum BMW Forum

Auto Insurance

» Featured Product
Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com > General Category > Audio and Electronics
Register Home Forum Active Topics Gallery / Showroom Auto Loans Garage Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Auto EscrowInsurance

Audio and Electronics The place to go to discuss sound systems and show off your I.C.E. along with security systems and radar detectors too!

BimmerWerkz.com is the premier BMW Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-06-2004, 03:45 PM   #1 (permalink)
DaveW

Car:
Photos:
Hi, I just picked up a '94 325i and am looking at replacing the stereo with the one I pulled out of my other car. I have an nice alpine deck two alpine type S 10" subs, and two amps. The amps are a four channel phoenix gold which I used for my old main and a 2 Ch. Directed which powers the subs. I have the standard BMW stock stereo and my question is this, I'm looking at component speakers for the front (the rears are easy... just singles in the rear deck) and all of the component speakers I find have the 5.25 driver and 1" tweeter.

I'd like to utilitze the 3.5 as well, does anyone know of someone who makes a 3 way component to fit the E36? For that matter a 3-way component at all? I've looked at many different makers including boston acoustics and infinity and can't find a 3-way component setup...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-06-2004, 04:45 PM   #2 (permalink)
WOT in Reverse

Car:
Photos:
jllphan has a reputation beyond reputejllphan has a reputation beyond reputejllphan has a reputation beyond reputejllphan has a reputation beyond reputejllphan has a reputation beyond reputejllphan has a reputation beyond reputejllphan has a reputation beyond reputejllphan has a reputation beyond reputejllphan has a reputation beyond reputejllphan has a reputation beyond reputejllphan has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to jllphan
In order to make a great improvement on what the oem system offers, a two-way component set will do the job. There are a lot more choices when shopping for a two-way 5.25" component set than a three way. I would love to shoe horn these in my whip though...HERE
Old 09-06-2004, 07:47 PM   #3 (permalink)
DaveW

Car:
Photos:
Wow, those are kinda nice. Look like they'd fit pretty well too, except for the woofer, looks like there'd need to be some modification done for those. Are those the only three ways around? I'd ideally like to find something around the $700 range, and you can barely get those on E-bay for that. I just hate the idea of having the midrange hole in the door just not used.
Old 09-06-2004, 09:05 PM   #4 (permalink)
DaveW

Car:
Photos:
Ok, I finally found a set of Bostons that are close to what I'm looking for, a 3-way set of components... however I'm not so sure about the sizing. The woofer is a 6.5" the midrange a 4" and the tweater a 1". Now it would appear as though the tweeter would work, but the mid and bass drivers are a little big. Does anyone know if they could possibly be fit into the stock holes? If not how serious would modding be to make them fit?
Old 09-06-2004, 09:17 PM   #5 (permalink)
/Banned

Car:
Photos:
HamannM3 is an unknown quantity at this point
Dont mess with boston or any of that junk. You have a german engineered car, get premium german engineered speakers.

MB Component Speakers
HamannM3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2004, 11:26 PM   #6 (permalink)
WOT in Reverse

Car:
Photos:
jllphan has a reputation beyond reputejllphan has a reputation beyond reputejllphan has a reputation beyond reputejllphan has a reputation beyond reputejllphan has a reputation beyond reputejllphan has a reputation beyond reputejllphan has a reputation beyond reputejllphan has a reputation beyond reputejllphan has a reputation beyond reputejllphan has a reputation beyond reputejllphan has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to jllphan

Is JL made in Germany?

Boston Acoustic speakers are fine. The 6.5" would probably go, but you would have to do some modifications.

Two way seperates sound fine. A good 5.25" mid can effectively reproduce the 3.5" range all the way down to a good 60Hz. Infinity Kappas, PolkAudio, and yes MBQ make decent two ways.
Old 09-07-2004, 04:47 AM   #7 (permalink)
PMB
1st Gear Member

Car:
Photos:
PMB is an unknown quantity at this point
Forget the 3.5s they are a waste of time. The best speakers I have ever heard in the front of an E36 was a set of Soundstream 5.25 components. They had cast chassis and a serious crossover / tweeter. I believe they were around $900 though. Macrom and Dynaudio also do some stunning stuff that are a good cut above the rest, including Boston and MB Quart.
PMB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2004, 01:03 PM   #8 (permalink)
DaveW

Car:
Photos:
Ok. The three ways sounded like a better alternative because right now I can't really even notice the 5.25 at all. I wasn't sure if that was a placement issue or an issue of the stock system, but I just assumed the stock system would be at least decent enough to drive its own speakers adequatly and figured placement was poor so I should probobly get the 3.5"s as well.

I just looked into the soundstream compoenents as well... which ones did you see for $900? The top end ones I've been able to find are going online for between 2 and 300...
Old 09-09-2004, 09:34 AM   #9 (permalink)
PMB
1st Gear Member

Car:
Photos:
PMB is an unknown quantity at this point
Nope, I cannot find them either. I tried contacting the dealer who was trying to sell them to me but got no reply.

Another interesting make is Macrom (car arm of Moral). The ones i use are the 2.50SE. They are 5.25" components with massive 2" voice coils and neodimeum (sp) magnets. These magnets are 20 times as powerful as regular magnets and it means that if these mid/bass drivers had normal magnets the magnets would be bigger than the speakers! The tweeters are basically the Morel MDT28. Stunning sound.
PMB is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com > General Category > Audio and Electronics