E36 Audio System Recommendations? - BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com
BMW Forum BMW Forum

» Auto Insurance

» Featured Product
» Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com > General Category > Audio and Electronics
Register Home Forum Active Topics Gallery / Showroom Auto Loans Garage Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Auto EscrowInsurance

Audio and Electronics The place to go to discuss sound systems and show off your I.C.E. along with security systems and radar detectors too!

BimmerWerkz.com is the premier BMW Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-07-2006, 01:11 PM   #1 (permalink)
n00b

Car:
Photos:
LAN_Guru is on a distinguished road
E36 Audio System Recommendations?

I have just purchased a 1994 325i Sedan and have a couple of questions and would like to see if any of you guys have recommendations regarding the audio system.

I have the following equipment that I removed from my previous car:

Alpine CDA-9851 head unit
Alpine MRV-F450 five-channel amplifier
two sets MB Quart PCE-213 5.25" component speakers

I also have two subwoofer enclosures:

JL Audio factory built sub enclosure with 10W1 4ohm 10" driver
Alpine Type R 12" 2ohm DVC in proper enclosure (4ohm with voice coils wired in series)

All the equipment mentioned above has not been abused and is in mint condition.

My thoughts are to install the 9851 head unit, install a set of PCE-213's up front and not use the BMW factory mids, install the Alpine amp, get a set of the Bavarian Soundwerks 4" to 6x9" adaptors and make plates to mount the other PCE-213 5.25" midbass and 1" tweeter to the bottom of the 6x9 openings.

My questions are:

Any comments/suggestions regarding installation of the rear PCE-213's?
Any suggestions regarding subwoofers?

I would like to retain as much trunk space as possible and I am into clean, tight bass. The amp will be pushing 30-50 watts to each of the front/rear component speaker sets and 150-200 watts to the sub/s. I really like the JL Audio stealth setup for this car but then I would have to start cutting to mount the rear component speakers. I am not totally against this though. Maybe mount the Quart 5.25 midbass in the rear doors and the tweeters in the package tray? Ideas guys? Do those JL infinite baffle 8" produce decent, clean bass?

Any comments/suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Regards,

Tommy aka LAN_Guru

1994 325i Sedan, white with 83k miles, all stock (so far.)
LAN_Guru is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-07-2006, 01:26 PM   #2 (permalink)
Sodium Chloride

Car: 95 M3
Photos:
saltshaker185 is a splendid one to beholdsaltshaker185 is a splendid one to beholdsaltshaker185 is a splendid one to beholdsaltshaker185 is a splendid one to beholdsaltshaker185 is a splendid one to beholdsaltshaker185 is a splendid one to beholdsaltshaker185 is a splendid one to beholdsaltshaker185 is a splendid one to behold
Send a message via AIM to saltshaker185 Send a message via MSN to saltshaker185
i think that BSW is going to become a good friend of yours pretty soon... http://www.bavariansoundwerks.com/

they shuold have everything you are looking for... also they are real friendly and just call them if you have any questiosn about using your setup with others and such...

hey mods, how hard would it to be to get them to be a sponsor here on the forums? are they already??
saltshaker185 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2006, 08:37 PM   #3 (permalink)
da_administrator

Car: Its slow, gotta M20 in it
Photos:
da_bull has a reputation beyond reputeda_bull has a reputation beyond reputeda_bull has a reputation beyond reputeda_bull has a reputation beyond reputeda_bull has a reputation beyond reputeda_bull has a reputation beyond reputeda_bull has a reputation beyond reputeda_bull has a reputation beyond reputeda_bull has a reputation beyond reputeda_bull has a reputation beyond reputeda_bull has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via MSN to da_bull
to the forums...

Most of the component sets are designed to be mounted within a couple of inches of each other. mounting them further than that would have some unpredictable outcomes. With the power available from your amp for the sub power, the single 10" will probably sound better. The type-R's will play but really prefer more power than what your amp has. Thats why I think the single 10" will use the power you have more effectively.

I like your idea for the 5.25/1" in the rear deck with adapters. I would build something around the rear of them to prevent the sub from moving the 5.25's around (and they will).

Get your mids put in, listen to how much midbass they have, make your decision for the sub from there. As an installer for 16+ years, I can tell you these cars are REALLY built well (meaning a very quiet cab), and dont need as much bass as it will all STAY in the cab rather than leaking out through trunk seals, door seals, etc.

If you have any other questions feel free to ask, I'll do what I can to help...

Bill

-There are 10 kinds of people. Those who understand binary, and those who do not.

-If we ever forget that we are One Nation Under God, then we will be a nation gone under...Ronald Reagan
da_bull is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com > General Category > Audio and Electronics