I'm in the planning/buying stage of putting a new system in my '97 328iC.
I hope to have all components within the next week.
I figured I'd share the installation drama and anything I learn along the way.
I'm no expert, so any feedback or suggestions are appreciated.
Here's my list of components so far:
- Alpine CDA-9886 HU ($300 retail, $230 eBay..found 1 for $135 used!!)
- Memphis Audio M-series 4x75 amp ($150 used)
- Memphis Audio sub amp w/JL 10w3v2 10" sub/enclosure ($200 used)
- Audio Control EQX EQ ($100 used)
- MB Quarts PVF 216 - 6 1/2" components speakers in front ($200)
- MB Quarts RUA210 4" component speakers in rear ($88)
- 2 17' Stinger stereo RCA connects (~$35)
- BMW wiring harness (~$12)
- Amp power/spkr wire/misc (freind hooking me up fw/parts in his garage)
In my research, I've come to believe that 6 1/2" speakers up front would make a difference, especially since road noise in a convertible competes with the mid-freq's. I wasn't real keen on dremel-grinding my 5 1/4" holes out, but will do it if I have to.
I just found this site called "hifisoundconnection.com" and they have a solution that I haven't seen on these boards (only been looking for 2 days, and just signed up - this is my 1st post).
They sell these "Q Logic 95-99 BMW 3-Series 6 1/2" Custom Speaker Kick Panel" that look pretty slick! Q Logic 95-99 BMW 3-Series 6 1/2" Custom Speaker Kick Panel
If anyone has experience with these or with hi-fi sound connection, please let me know. I haven't bought anything from them yet, but their prices blow crutchfield away. I'm hoping they're a good company to deal with.
The plan is to install the HU in the dash (what a revelation).
Install 10"sub, amps, EQ, and crossovers in the trunk...somewhere.
I think I can mount the sub-amp, EQ, and crossovers on the sub box.
Then I'll find a spot for that 4x75 amp. Suggestions?
Also, are there any suggestions for routing the RCA connects from HU to amps in trunk?
Whats the best path to route the speaker wires from amp to front speakers?