E30 Sound System Upgrade - BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com
Audio and Electronics The place to go to discuss sound systems and show off your I.C.E. along with security systems and radar detectors too!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
#1 (permalink) Old 10-25-2004, 02:18 PM
1st Gear Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
greenlightracer is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via AIM to greenlightracer Send a message via MSN to greenlightracer Send a message via Yahoo to greenlightracer
(Thread Starter)
What speakers fit in the factory speaker grilles in an e30 325i (1990)? What brands do u guys recommend? best mid grade speaker in ur opinion? what about nakamichi componants? I was think either Infinti, Kenwoods or nakamichi's... I'm looking for ur opinion on mid grade 6x9's as well. I'm hopefully looking to get a nakamichi cd400 as a HU
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 (permalink) Old 10-26-2004, 04:16 AM
PMB
1st Gear Member

PMB is an unknown quantity at this point
I have never heard Nakamichi comps. However, Infinities are pretty good. You need 5.25" comps for the fronts. Infinity Ref series are great if you are not putting in an amp, as are JBL GT series and Phoenix Gold Octane series. The JBLs and PGs are very easy to install and are quite efficient.

For rears you can either waste your money on a set of 4" speakers or install a Sub which is the much better option. Keep it simple and put the money where it counts.
#3 (permalink) Old 10-26-2004, 08:19 AM
1st Gear Member

greenlightracer is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via AIM to greenlightracer Send a message via MSN to greenlightracer Send a message via Yahoo to greenlightracer
(Thread Starter)
SO any comps will fit the front? What about kicker's? they have a broad frequncy range, at least on paper... are polk audio and sony any good?
#4 (permalink) Old 10-26-2004, 09:23 AM
PMB
1st Gear Member

PMB is an unknown quantity at this point
Not too sure about Whether Kicker will fit or not, assuming they are the "square" drive units. I have some old Polks in one of my cars and I must say they are amongst the best 4" full range speakers I have heard. Sony I would not recommend. They are very much for the boom tizz crowd. When I sold my E30 I removed my components and put in a set of 5.25." sony xplods that sounded just aweful.

The other thing to bear in mind is that you will not get any decent bass from the front speakers. The best thing to do is use a sub.
#5 (permalink) Old 10-28-2004, 09:09 PM
WOT in Reverse

jllphan has a reputation beyond repute jllphan has a reputation beyond repute jllphan has a reputation beyond repute jllphan has a reputation beyond repute jllphan has a reputation beyond repute jllphan has a reputation beyond repute jllphan has a reputation beyond repute jllphan has a reputation beyond repute jllphan has a reputation beyond repute jllphan has a reputation beyond repute jllphan has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to jllphan
Nakamichi is a great company. Love their HU's, love mine. Never had their speakers, but I would imagine they are great for everything save maybe rap.

Infinty speakers are great. Reference and Kappa series to be used as presribed by PMB.

Kicker makes better subs and amps. Their comps are good for rap and rock though.

Sony speakers suck. Period.

Polk Audio is comparable to infinity. Not as bright, some like that, others don't. Depends on your ear.

Which reminds me, go check out those listed above(minus sony), and make a decision based on what your ears tell you, not us. It's good to round it down to a few via the internet, but ultimately, everyone hears things differently.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com > General Category > Audio and Electronics