Do I need an amp to run a bass tube? - BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com
BMW Forum BMW Forum

Auto Insurance

» Featured Product
Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com > General Category > Audio and Electronics
Register Home Forum Active Topics Gallery / Showroom Auto Loans Garage Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Auto EscrowInsurance

Audio and Electronics The place to go to discuss sound systems and show off your I.C.E. along with security systems and radar detectors too!

BimmerWerkz.com is the premier BMW Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-04-2004, 12:09 PM   #1 (permalink)
n00b

Car:
Photos:
Leicesterboy15 is an unknown quantity at this point
Hi guys

this may be a really silly question but I am new to this ICE stuff.

I have a sub out and a sub control on my head unit so do I still need a seperate amp to run a bass tube or can I just plug it directly into the head unit?

If I do have to use an amp, is it best to use the pre-out or the sub-out to run the bass tube? (I would prefer a sub box but I have been given a bass tube and figured it would be a good starting point).

Thanks guys
Advertisement

Old 03-04-2004, 01:36 PM   #2 (permalink)
You Can Has A Custom Title!!

Car: 2000 M5
Photos:
lwebb12 has a reputation beyond reputelwebb12 has a reputation beyond reputelwebb12 has a reputation beyond reputelwebb12 has a reputation beyond reputelwebb12 has a reputation beyond reputelwebb12 has a reputation beyond reputelwebb12 has a reputation beyond reputelwebb12 has a reputation beyond reputelwebb12 has a reputation beyond reputelwebb12 has a reputation beyond reputelwebb12 has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to lwebb12 Send a message via Yahoo to lwebb12
it depends. if you have RCA inputs on the bass tube than most likely it has an amplifier on it. how ever if it just has speaker wire input terminal than you will need an amp. what model is it anyway?
JL Audio 13W7 in W7 pro wedge box powered by JL Audio 1000/1 slash series amp. JL Audio RBC. V1 hardwired.
Euro First Aid Kit, warning triangle, and fire extinguisher. Euro Storage bin Mod. UUC Stage III lightweight flywheel/clutch.
lwebb12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2004, 05:44 PM   #3 (permalink)
n00b

Car:
Photos:
Leicesterboy15 is an unknown quantity at this point
I don't know what make it is but it does look like it is professionally made. It has an 8inch sub and a set of speaker connections on the other end so I guess I will need an amp. Should I plug this into the sub out or one of the pre outs?

My plan is to remove the metal plate beind the arm rest between the rear seat and the boot (on an e34) so I can get the proper sound. I have Infiniti Kappas in the back and a good set up at the front (don't know what exactly but it sounds good) but I don't want to push too much bass through these as they are a pain to change if they blow! Hopefully this bass tube will take care of that.
Old 03-04-2004, 06:01 PM   #4 (permalink)
You Can Has A Custom Title!!

Car: 2000 M5
Photos:
lwebb12 has a reputation beyond reputelwebb12 has a reputation beyond reputelwebb12 has a reputation beyond reputelwebb12 has a reputation beyond reputelwebb12 has a reputation beyond reputelwebb12 has a reputation beyond reputelwebb12 has a reputation beyond reputelwebb12 has a reputation beyond reputelwebb12 has a reputation beyond reputelwebb12 has a reputation beyond reputelwebb12 has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to lwebb12 Send a message via Yahoo to lwebb12
sweet. yes use the subwoofer out RCA connections to provide a signal to your sub amp. and from the sounds of it you wont need a high powered amp either. what is the speaker in it?
JL Audio 13W7 in W7 pro wedge box powered by JL Audio 1000/1 slash series amp. JL Audio RBC. V1 hardwired.
Euro First Aid Kit, warning triangle, and fire extinguisher. Euro Storage bin Mod. UUC Stage III lightweight flywheel/clutch.
lwebb12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com > General Category > Audio and Electronics