Dim Display And Bad Fm Problem Diy Solution Posted - BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com
Audio and Electronics The place to go to discuss sound systems and show off your I.C.E. along with security systems and radar detectors too!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
#1 (permalink) Old 03-17-2005, 11:51 AM
n00b

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
davester is an unknown quantity at this point
(Thread Starter)
Detailed instructions on how to fix the dim display or poor FM reception problem on the stock BMW business radios have just become available online at: http://www.carstereoremoval.com/htm/DIYBMWP.htm . You have to pay them $19.95, but they give you detailed instructions on how to disassemble the radio and solder the broken connections. Pretty major surgery, but doable. I bought the instructions but haven't dissected my radio yet. Perhaps this weekend.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 (permalink) Old 03-19-2005, 10:08 PM
Neutral Member

Larry Horne is an unknown quantity at this point
I wish I read this post earlier. I just disassembled mine for the 6th time. I could take the partially assembled unit and test it in the car, press daown on the circuit board and it would burn bright. It kept going dim. I tried soldering the obvious connectors but nothing fixed it.

Unfortunately I shorted out the LED display the last time I was probing inside it and now the display is dim and solid. no numbers.

Here I come Crutchfield, the main decision is Alpine or XM.

Lar

Larry
Suffolk, VA
1997 328i
2004 Lexus GX470
1989 Ford F250
#3 (permalink) Old 03-19-2005, 10:58 PM
da_administrator

da_bull has a reputation beyond repute da_bull has a reputation beyond repute da_bull has a reputation beyond repute da_bull has a reputation beyond repute da_bull has a reputation beyond repute da_bull has a reputation beyond repute da_bull has a reputation beyond repute da_bull has a reputation beyond repute da_bull has a reputation beyond repute da_bull has a reputation beyond repute da_bull has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via MSN to da_bull
Quote:
Originally posted by Larry Horne@Mar 19 2005, 10:08 PM
I wish I read this post earlier. I just disassembled mine for the 6th time. I could take the partially assembled unit and test it in the car, press daown on the circuit board and it would burn bright. It kept going dim. I tried soldering the obvious connectors but nothing fixed it.

Unfortunately I shorted out the LED display the last time I was probing inside it and now the display is dim and solid. no numbers.

Here I come Crutchfield, the main decision is Alpine or XM.

Lar
[snapback]314955[/snapback]
A lot of Alpine's radios now are Sat. ready, which means you have a choice of XM or Sirius. You can have your cakse and listen to XM too. Youll be happier with an aftermarket anyways.

-There are 10 kinds of people. Those who understand binary, and those who do not.

-If we ever forget that we are One Nation Under God, then we will be a nation gone under...Ronald Reagan
#4 (permalink) Old 03-20-2005, 09:14 AM
Neutral Member

right, I have been watching the forum and they seem to support Alpine, Pioneer adn Clarion. I've looked at the Alpine and Clarion in great detail. One thing now to consider is to get the HU with XM and do away with the satelite receiver which makes great install sense but I wonder if you loose something in the JU. I have not seen much discussion concerning

HU with Sat control verse HU with builtin Sat radio.

Thoughts?

Larry
Suffolk, VA
1997 328i
2004 Lexus GX470
1989 Ford F250
#5 (permalink) Old 03-20-2005, 10:29 AM
da_administrator

da_bull has a reputation beyond repute da_bull has a reputation beyond repute da_bull has a reputation beyond repute da_bull has a reputation beyond repute da_bull has a reputation beyond repute da_bull has a reputation beyond repute da_bull has a reputation beyond repute da_bull has a reputation beyond repute da_bull has a reputation beyond repute da_bull has a reputation beyond repute da_bull has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via MSN to da_bull
In order to use the space in the radio, you lose some features with XM built in. Look at the features in a comparably priced unit (XM and no XM built in). You will see that most gain a few features in place of the XM tuner.

But as far as install goes, I've done a few. and not having to find a place to install another box is nice. One down side, is that most XM antennas are only 12 feet or so long. If you mount it on the trunk lid, the wire may not be long enough to reach the headunit. Like most off-board XM tuners that are mounted in the trunk, theres plenty of wire to do that. Look at the differences and make your decision on whether or not you need that particular x-over, eq, etc.

Good Luck...

-There are 10 kinds of people. Those who understand binary, and those who do not.

-If we ever forget that we are One Nation Under God, then we will be a nation gone under...Ronald Reagan
#6 (permalink) Old 03-20-2005, 11:04 AM
Neutral Member

you are right,

Do you a a minute for a few questions you sound like you have done this once before. I think this post keeps it technical but let me know if it should be moved to other forum.

If I buy a new HU from Crutchfield and get the euro antenna adapter (FM) and the BMW wiring harness adapter (new HU bundle in and OEM connection out) is this all I need to do? Is there a down streem BMW amp that needs power? some say yes and some say no. I have not ripped out the trunk yet so I have not looked deep. Does anyone know what the small wire is with the FM antena in the OEM wiring config?

RE the XM antenna, is there a difference with trunk mount verses roof mount. I can only think that in certain positions (satelites verse car) there may be a interference of the back window other than that I cannot see where it matters. It will certainly matter with cable reach.

Do you have any "real" technical advice when it comes to identifying aftermarket greatness. Hell the OEM business HU sounded fine to me. I am 40 years old and listen to a range of music..............a very wide range. I sometimes test the volume but in most cases its a leisurely 45 minute commute. I make a few of my own CD's here, WMA files usually but HATE the OEM trunk changer so I seldom change the disks.

Oh, I know you will say $ enters into the analysis...........Really would like to keep it all under $500 for HU and SAT. Will leave OEM speakers for now. Would like to someday do a SUB but I really need the trunk space. This old man has to carry a golf bag once in a while.

Thanks for the time and effort.

Lar

Larry
Suffolk, VA
1997 328i
2004 Lexus GX470
1989 Ford F250
#7 (permalink) Old 03-20-2005, 11:09 AM
Neutral Member

Aloyouis is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally posted by Larry Horne@Mar 20 2005, 01:04 PM
you are right,

Do you a a minute for a few questions you sound like you have done this once before. I think this post keeps it technical but let me know if it should be moved to other forum.

If I buy a new HU from Crutchfield and get the euro antenna adapter (FM) and the BMW wiring harness adapter (new HU bundle in and OEM connection out) is this all I need to do? Is there a down streem BMW amp that needs power? some say yes and some say no. I have not ripped out the trunk yet so I have not looked deep. Does anyone know what the small wire is with the FM antena in the OEM wiring config?

RE the XM antenna, is there a difference with trunk mount verses roof mount. I can only think that in certain positions (satelites verse car) there may be a interference of the back window other than that I cannot see where it matters. It will certainly matter with cable reach.

Do you have any "real" technical advice when it comes to identifying aftermarket greatness. Hell the OEM business HU sounded fine to me. I am 40 years old and listen to a range of music..............a very wide range. I sometimes test the volume but in most cases its a leisurely 45 minute commute. I make a few of my own CD's here, WMA files usually but HATE the OEM trunk changer so I seldom change the disks.

Oh, I know you will say $ enters into the analysis...........Really would like to keep it all under $500 for HU and SAT. Will leave OEM speakers for now. Would like to someday do a SUB but I really need the trunk space. This old man has to carry a golf bag once in a while.

Thanks for the time and effort.

Lar
[snapback]315137[/snapback]

You and I are similar. Wide ranging tastes and the need to haul clubs....

Bought an iPod and the icelink controller. No have over 300 cds at my finger tips (thru thr steering whl controls). sounds great, no changing discs ever again.

JIM
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com > General Category > Audio and Electronics