DICE HD/iPod - bad buy - BEWARE - BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com
Audio and Electronics The place to go to discuss sound systems and show off your I.C.E. along with security systems and radar detectors too!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
#1 (permalink) Old 04-17-2009, 08:20 PM
n00b

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Geschwindigkeitswagen is on a distinguished road
(Thread Starter)
DICE HD/iPod - bad buy - BEWARE

Ugh! I am so disappointed in the Dice HD radio unit. I have it all installed now, not too bad of a job, wish I would have taken pictures while I had the interior out, but oh well. Now that the Dice is in - I am not happy . The reception in HD is week - at best, the controls are fair. The iPod integration is where I am very unhappy, it's terrible! I expected it to be like what I've read about the stand alone iPod unit - NOT AT ALL! The choices for searching music is as follows:Playlist, Album, Chapter (What the Fn-F is Chapter?). Can't even search by artist! Oh, and there is no way to control the iPod through the iPod itself, only through the head unit/steering wheel. Speaking of car controls, it's supposed to display 20 characters on my dash info display - it only shows the first 11 (and the rest do work). When I called customer service to ask questions the only reply was, "Yup, that's how it works. Oh the chapter thing is for audio books." Nice. I had to ask about the iPod controls because it doesn't come with directions for the iPod! I wish I spent my money on something else - live and learn.

'01 540iT - Black pictures
'86 911 Carrera Targa - Garnet Red pictures
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 (permalink) Old 04-17-2009, 08:25 PM
OMFG another one!?

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
witeshark is just really nice witeshark is just really nice witeshark is just really nice witeshark is just really nice witeshark is just really nice
Sorry to see this. But thanks for the heads up...

BMW

Sig by zeaq
#3 (permalink) Old 04-18-2009, 10:28 AM
I am Teh Edumacator.

Teh Prof has much to be proud of Teh Prof has much to be proud of Teh Prof has much to be proud of Teh Prof has much to be proud of Teh Prof has much to be proud of Teh Prof has much to be proud of Teh Prof has much to be proud of Teh Prof has much to be proud of Teh Prof has much to be proud of Teh Prof has much to be proud of
Send a message via AIM to Teh Prof
I have two DICE kits, both in my 5 and my 7.

Your problem only displaying 11 characters can be solved by switching the display option under CD 6. Get out your instruction manual and play with it.

My DICE kits both let me play with the iPod controls in addition to steering wheel and head unit controls. Both of them also let me search through artists--alphabetically.

To be perfectly honest, your complaints sound more like you haven't taken the time to learn how to use your hardware properly. Both of us have DICE kits installed in E39's, so I don't think our difference of observations of functionality is a hardware difference.

1999 E39 540i/6-VF Stage 1 S/C, Dinan exhaust, Dinan strut+shock braces, Dinan ltwt flywheel + clutch, Dinan Brembo BBK, Dinan monoball, H&R Springs, Koni Yellows, M5 sways, Dinan forged 18" wheels, &c.

1995 E38 740i. Highly modded. Faster than you.

Sold 2-28-07: 1997 E36 M3/4, 8-30-05 RIP 1997 528i

Lindsay fan club member.
#4 (permalink) Old 04-18-2009, 02:56 PM
n00b

(Thread Starter)
Are your Dice kits iPod kits or HD radio kits? Per Dice tech support - the HD radio unit will not allow the music to be controlled by the iPod. I've studied the heck out of the manual and done gobs of internet research, even called Dice. I will look into the disc six settings though and see if there is something I missed there. All the manual said is that it changes from the cluster to the MID by making the change in disc six.

#5 (permalink) Old 04-18-2009, 04:24 PM
n00b

(Thread Starter)
UPDATE!!! Thanks to Teh Prof, I did go in and switch the info from the column read out to the MID and back to the column and I do now have full display!!! If anyone is using the any Dice unit, what are your settings so you can access everything though the iPod? I've tried the switch settings that the silverline suggested and it didn't work for me.

#6 (permalink) Old 04-18-2009, 07:57 PM
OMFG another one!?

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
witeshark is just really nice witeshark is just really nice witeshark is just really nice witeshark is just really nice witeshark is just really nice
Glad to see you're getting it sorted!

BMW

Sig by zeaq
#7 (permalink) Old 04-19-2009, 07:25 AM
I am Teh Edumacator.

Teh Prof has much to be proud of Teh Prof has much to be proud of Teh Prof has much to be proud of Teh Prof has much to be proud of Teh Prof has much to be proud of Teh Prof has much to be proud of Teh Prof has much to be proud of Teh Prof has much to be proud of Teh Prof has much to be proud of Teh Prof has much to be proud of
Send a message via AIM to Teh Prof
I have an iPod kit, not a radio kit, so perhaps I have a different situation than you do. Glad to hear that things are progressing, though...

1999 E39 540i/6-VF Stage 1 S/C, Dinan exhaust, Dinan strut+shock braces, Dinan ltwt flywheel + clutch, Dinan Brembo BBK, Dinan monoball, H&R Springs, Koni Yellows, M5 sways, Dinan forged 18" wheels, &c.

1995 E38 740i. Highly modded. Faster than you.

Sold 2-28-07: 1997 E36 M3/4, 8-30-05 RIP 1997 528i

Lindsay fan club member.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com > General Category > Audio and Electronics