BMW Werkz banner

Decision Time...

2K views 11 replies 6 participants last post by  Enthuziast 
#1 ·
Well this is the decision that I have come up with. As most know from reading my posts, I just bought a 1988 325e. Research shows that the "E" motor was created more-so for gas conservation, therefore only putting out 121 hp. I noticed that and right away looked into putting in performance parts to try and kick that up a notch. After doing that I noticed that with the money that it will cost me, it is not worth putting performance mods into it. What, $1500 to get it up to 150hp maybe...Exhaust, Intake, Headers. Naw, even though I want to do it badly, it wont benefit me as much as it will cost me. So with that said, I have decided to take that money and put it into a sound system. With me being 17, heckle me if you feel you need to lol, but Christmas is still an option for me. :) To start things off: A 2005 ALPINE CDE9845 AM/FM/CD/MP3/WMA Head Unit, $170.00 Shipped on Ebay. MSRP's at $250.00. That will be hooked up to 2 12" Aluminum Eclipse 900 Watt 2 Ohm DVC Subwoofers; 450W-500W continious with the 900W peak. MSPR's $350.00 Each, Can get for $210 Each; Also a set of 2 on Ebay for $270 shipped. I'm going to see if the rest of the family can pool their X-mas money for me and have that go towards those. And to make sure those run safely an Eclipse 1 Ch 2000 Watt Class D Amplifier, MSRP's at $1300, Can get for $700. If things turn out, this will be all I have to pay for in terms of my system. Other then the system, My plans for the car are: Short Shifter, for an advantage, Pedal set and maybe a Wood Grain Interior "Overlay" for interior. For Exterior: Lowering Springs, Struts/Springs, Whirlwind Drilled/Slotted Brake rotors, Set of 15" Racinghart rims. Eyelid head light covers, Black Painted, Tinted windows. OK well thats my plan as of now... This is quite long so im going to end it with: $1500 for 150hp or $1100 for 2000W?:rock

See less See more
#2 ·
At the very least, spend $200 on an ecu replacement! My '86 eta is a SCREAMER with just the chip in it. I will out pull an "i" or "is" model through the first couple gears due to the torque advantage, and the raised redline makes hanging on the ragged edge just a little more fun. Trust me, you could see something on the order of 20-25 hp gained by adding JUST the chip. The eta engine and tuning are very conservatively set at the factory. The chip will just bring the level of tune up a notch. Ask on the forum... everyone would agree. I have a Dinan ecu in mine, which came with the car... they cost $250 but you can find Mark D chips for under $200 and then there are the "ebay special" ecu's that most people have had pretty good luck with from what I have read... give it some thought. It is by FAR the most bang you will get for your buck in an eta!

Josh W.

#3 ·
becaureful with fleabay electronics as some things come with just a case and no internals... and my personal opinion but that is going to be far too much base, and why dont you get speaks to go with the subs? its always nice to hear your music.... im running 2 10s with 6 or 800 watt alpine amp alpine type S subs. and then for speakers rear are JBL 3 way 6x9's, and fron JBL 3 way 6.5 inch with a nice set of aftermarket tweeters in the tweeter pods. and a 450 watt amp for the speakers. and that my friend is a nice combination.

and i also recomend the chip, and if its not lowerd lower it.

#4 · (Edited)
Ok I just typed a 1 page thing explaining everything and the fucking cat decided to hop up onto the keyboard and close the site so Ill just keep all posted on final decision.

EDIT: As for some speekers, I looked into JBL and talked with a sound master buddy of mine and I will be going with those. What kind of tweeters did you get? 450W amp powering all 4 speekers front and back or what?

#6 ·
You really need to get to a brick and mortar store and really take a listen to the product, regardless of what equipment you decide to go with. As eBay provides good deals (sometimes) but you wont get the knowledge and help after the sale as you will with a good salesman (not one that just wants your money)

#7 ·
Sorry Les, Thanks for moving it to right place. Everything that I am buying off Ebay I already know about, therefore if someone is just going to post a reply dissing or warning me about Ebay just don't bother.:nono I'm here to see what you have to say about my ideas and get suggestions and responses, not to be reminded how Ebay is horrible. I've bought alot of stuff threw ebay, none is a lesser quality then the picture or information they provided.:rock

#8 ·
Im not saying dont buy off of ebay, its just you cant tell what the product you are spending your hard earned money on will actually sound like. If youve already hit the local stores to make yourself an educated decision (rather than listening to friends or people on a forum), then I applaud you and go ahead and "Buy it Now" :D I see a lot of people that hear from their friends that one product is better than another either based on previous models from 10 years ago that their brother had, and never really taking a listen for themselves. Its your ears, make sure the speakers/amp/headunit/xover/etc. sound good to you first and foremost. Audio is a VERY personal thing and no one company makes everything well.

I didnt mean to make it sound like I was attacking your ebay decision, Ive bought and sold a hundred things on there. So far every time has been great.

Good luck...

#9 ·
Bull, I also appologise if I came of hasty, did not mean to at all. And sorry to make it seem like you were attackin me and my decisions, didn't mean to come off like that. I agree on the fact that audio is a personal decision and to make sure that I know what im getting into and not jsut take peoples words on it. I have gotten "opinions" on exact models in which my friends have had, with that said I think i need some more perfessional opin...facts and then make my final decision. I do thank you for you help and appologise again.

#10 ·
No apologies necessary. Its cool man :D. I've sold/installed car audio for 15+ years and i cant tell you the times a customer would walk in and say how bad/good a product is before even listening to it. Their buddies would walk in with them and REALLY influence his decision whether he knows it or not. I found myself selling the friends on a certain product before I could sell the customer lol.

Welcome to the forums and if there is anything i can help with lemme know...

#11 ·
i cant tell you the times a customer would walk in and say how bad/good a product is before even listening to it. Their buddies would walk in with them and REALLY influence his decision whether he knows it or not. I found myself selling the friends on a certain product before I could sell the customer lol.
rant

MAN - I hate that crap - and it's hugely why I like going with non mainstream brands. Pop my trunk "oh wtf is that - its crappy" then they get blown away. Theres nothing like showing up someone's ignorance. Back in the day when I had my JL Audio set up, it was funny - All the JL Fanboys would jump around my car and the other major brand lovers would be like "awwwww your car sucks, it sounds like crap, ra ra ra" until I turned it up and set off their car alarms :devil

/rant

sorry - had to get that out after reading. lol

#12 ·
First off JL's are the fcukin shyt!! and second off thanx to bull. Im going to do some research and such and when i come up with what i want ill make sure to run it through you . I know audio likes is in the ear of the beholder only, everyone has their own perks that they like. Im still going to get your input on it from you. Thanx for the welcome to the site also and also for allowing me the oppurtunity to come to you for help :rock

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.