BMW Werkz banner

da_bull, question about your system?

2K views 3 replies 2 participants last post by  da_bull 
#1 ·
Hey man, got a question about your system. In your e34, how did you run your RCA wires? Down the passanger side? Where did you break them through to the trunk? I've been fighting alternator noise for a while now and since you seem to be the expert, and have the same car as me, I'm wondering how you routed your wires. Here's how I have it (incorrectly) setup for the moment.

Power coming off the battery runs up under the backseat, breaks through a circular opening in the little "tray" in the back of the trunk.

Ground is run straight into the metal of the trunk's floor, to the left (drivers side) of the spare tire. I drilled a hole into the trunk and sanded off the paint to ensure a decent contact.

RCAs run down the middle of the center console, under the carpet until they reach the backseat, they then head toward the drivers side, where I have them break through to the trunk in a similar spot as the power wires.

I'm running two amps, a Pioneer 800W 4 channel and a Memphis Mono Sub amp to two 12"s. Alternator noise is fairly pronounced. I'm sure you've managed to eliminate it in your e34, so if you had any advise as to where to run wires I'd appreciate it.

See less See more
#2 ·
Not sure about "expert". I tell the guys at work I dont know what I'm doing I just guess REALLY good, lol.

I ran the RCAs down the passenger side, over the glovebox and under the carpet to the rear seat. Pull out the rear seat (cushion and lean both), and drilled a hole big enough for some pinch welt to go around the opening or a grommet big enough for the wires (just a safety thing for the wires, keeping them from getting pinched).

As far as noise, there are a number of things to try: moving your ground, adding an 8ga wire from the ground side of your battery to the fender under the hood, turning the gains on the amp down (you can turn the amps down and turn the radio up, you will get the same power), re-routing RCAs differently, a headunit with more RCA voltage. There's a ka-billion more things you can do to try to get rid of noise. Good luck.

#3 ·
Ok, I spent all yesterday working on getting my amps grounded and mounted in my trunk. I learned that bridging my sub amp causes fuses to blow and my headlights to dim rediculously.

I also learned that it's a good idea to spend money on a decent utility knife. I caught my finger pretty good cutting away at the trunkliner when a blade broke.

I'm getting ready to finally rid myself of alternator noise. I'm planning on adding an extra section of ground wire. Heres what I'm thinking. Since I've got the battery under my backseat, I'm gonna try to find a good ground there. I don't know if I'll end up using a seatbelt bolt or not (don't know if I have the tools to remove it) but hopefully that'll get rid of any problems there. If that doesn't help I'll rerun the RCAs.

#4 ·
Dont use any bolt that BMW supplies. Almost all of them that go through the body and are exposed to the elements, have a goo on them that keeps water out and that goo doesnt conduct electricity at all. Your best bet is to drill a hole, nut and bolt it down after scraping the paint away from the hole. If your battery is right there, just ground it there to start. Maybe try one ground per amp.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.