BMW Werkz banner

da_bull...pls come to my aid once again

4K views 15 replies 3 participants last post by  da_bull 
#1 · (Edited)
ok, so my oem subwoofer sucks, im having my top replaced on friday and while its off im gonna run some cables into the trunk from the head unit, which has encouraged me to get some custom sound stuff done, heres whats gonna get done, do you think this set up might work out pretty well? ill be using my old Xtreme 500 watt monoblock amp to run the 8'' cvt kicker sub

im gonna get a custom "lid" made to hold an 8'' kicker cvt subwoofer, which will look like this, except with a single 8'' hole

since i want to keep as much space as possible, me and the sound guy came up with this idea...instead of building a box, were gonna cover/seal the area in dynamat, to make a sort of basket, something like this, except there will be no holes to anywhere, the area will be sealed off, i think kicker doesnt recommend for the cvt8 to be ported anyways

See less See more
#2 ·
I'm not too sure on the specs of that particular Kicker, but if it calls for being sealed, any air leaks will kill the sound. A free-air woofer may fit the bill a little better. Kicker used to make a free-air woofer. Basically a free-air woofer has a stiffer suspension, letting it control itself, rather than relying on the box for control.

I just did a quick overview at Kicker.com. That looks like a pretty good woofer for the area you have available. Just make sure its sealed REALLY well.

#3 ·
so you think it will work making a "basket" for the sub, as long as everything is sealed off really well right? i have 2 12x15 sheets of fatmat that i was gonna use, but ill order some more if needed

#4 ·
Miggs -

HOW are you fitting an 8" diameter Kicker cvr Sub (which is PRECISELY what I have!) into the stock area from the ridiculous OEM 2 1/2 inch sub?? My box, which barely extends past the edges of the sub, encroaches by 3-4 inches into the top's "well" and I need to "clear" the top by pushing it out around the sub-box every time I put it down. Are you going SIDEWAYS?? Otherwise I don't get the dimensions...

I do like the LOOK of the thing you are planning though - and recall, I donlt have a cover on my sub and it jumps just fine!

#6 ·
ah my boosted friend...i am going with one of the new 8'' Kicker CVT subs they are shallow mounting subs, so they dont have to go in as deep, i have your picture printed and am going to tell the sound guy that i DONT want my lid to look like that, i use the top cover alot and it seems ur sub setup would not alow it to fit rigght...and...wait...what....you have an 8'' sub??? i was always under the impresion you had a 10'' kicker???

well anyways, yes, im going with an 8'' kicker cvt, ill let you know how it thumps when i get it, ill be doing the wiring for it on friday when they remove the top since ill have easy access in there and save $$$ on the amp installation and wont have to worry if theyll fuck up something trying to route wires from the cabin into the trunk:shifty....the power and ground are a breeze in these cars...damn i love having the battery in the trunk

i still want to see a picture of whats UNDER your sub dude...i want to know if they sealed off everything like i am going to do, or whether they made a custom box

also, you seem to have the cash...did you never check the options from roadstersound.com ???? it would look way cleaner than what you have now and still have an 8'' sub....im just too poor to blow that kind of cash on a sub box...

#5 ·
PS - here is a picture again FYI...

By gordonjagman at 2008-03-26

I hope this helps.

#8 ·
OK- I just looked at the roadstersound.c site and yes, some really cool set ups, espcecially the M Roadster with the HUGE JL Audio poewr amp set ups unde rthe trtunk carpeting that are not even visible when done!. Who knows if they need to breathe a bit when going awhile, but sick nontheless! And yes, the housing fo rthe 8" DOES bulge a little bit each way, but less than mine does (it "hugs" the edges of the sub, rather than the extra surface area. Cool site and maybe food for though iu the future, but since mine is done and sounds so good, I'm not gonna mess with it for a good while.

#9 ·
i love the way the roadster look with the top down and covered, looks real clean, so i want, that and i want my setup to look as clean and as OEM as possible

i just ran the wiring for the soon to be sub and amp....FUCK it was a royal pain in the ass....that is one complicated little SOB car! but i got the wiring done right before the sunset!!! i hope I HOPE i didnt mess anything up...i would hate to have to go back and redo something...i should have just paid the guy to install it...no...i dont trust them to rip my car apart...

hey da_bull....you didnt answer me :( you think my setup with making a sealed dynamat basket enclosure will work?? or do you think i should have some sort of box done?

#10 ·
The Messican said:
hey da_bull....you didnt answer me :(
Its because I dont like you :D

As long as you seal the box (i.e. no leaks), it should be ok. If it is a plastic chamber, you will want it as rigid as possible too. If not you will have rattles. If you have the room in the chamber you are talking about, you can line the inside with wood to make it more rigid. The less power your woofer uses to "move" the enclosure, the more sound output you will get too.

#11 ·
aww...that hurt...it really did :(:emo

well the whole "box" is pretty rigid except the back wall, its really flimsy, so ill have the sound guy reinforce that somehow

thanks alot, i really appreciate your input

#13 ·
it does, also, one more question...ive always been curious about the poly fill thing they stuff sub boxes with....from what i understand its supposed to make the act as if it were in a bigger box...would it be worth much to try it in mine? how much should i use?

#14 ·
Calculate the volume you have, compare that to what the woofer requires. If its clsoe dont worry about it. If you do need some, loosely drop small handfuls in the box. Dont go over half of the enclosure. It does help if your box is too small. It fools the speaker into thinking its in a slightly bigger box and it'll play lower frequencies. Maybe by 10% or so. Not a real noticeable difference to the ear, but the woofer will be happier.

Oh yeah, eat more Taco Bell cinnamon twists, that helps...

#15 ·
hmm...well on the kicker website it says for a sealed box u need .4 - 1.8 cubic feet, i think i was under .4, couldnt hurt to try it, if anything i can just take the filling out no? not like i have to glue it or anything in there right? if i have read correctly you just pretty much just drop it in there...not really pack it tight or anything

#16 ·
Exactly. Just run to the wally-world (walmart) and get some pillow stuffing (dacron if I remember right) from the craft/sewing section. It comes in a 1 lb. bag, and you'll have about 3/4 of the bag left in that small of an enclosure. It wont take much at all.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.