da bull...i call upon thee yet again! - BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com
BMW Forum BMW Forum

Auto Insurance

» Featured Product
Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com > General Category > Audio and Electronics
Register Home Forum Active Topics Gallery / Showroom Auto Loans Garage Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Auto EscrowInsurance

Audio and Electronics The place to go to discuss sound systems and show off your I.C.E. along with security systems and radar detectors too!

BimmerWerkz.com is the premier BMW Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-04-2007, 01:44 AM   #1 (permalink)
The Messican

Car: 2000 2.3 Z3
Photos:
MiguelACA has a reputation beyond reputeMiguelACA has a reputation beyond reputeMiguelACA has a reputation beyond reputeMiguelACA has a reputation beyond reputeMiguelACA has a reputation beyond reputeMiguelACA has a reputation beyond reputeMiguelACA has a reputation beyond reputeMiguelACA has a reputation beyond reputeMiguelACA has a reputation beyond reputeMiguelACA has a reputation beyond reputeMiguelACA has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to MiguelACA
da bull...i call upon thee yet again!

i know my subs can pump out more bass than they are right now, but if i turn up the volume, my speakers start sounding all fugly from the lower frequencies...

im thinking about getting bass blocker thingies that go in the speaker wires to stop certain frequencies from getting to the speakers...do they really work? can they go anywhere between the stereo and the speaker? or does it have to be right before the speaker? any brand? thanks!!!

A morning of awkwardness is better than a night of loneliness
MiguelACA is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-04-2007, 05:02 AM   #2 (permalink)
da_administrator

Car: Its slow, gotta M20 in it
Photos:
da_bull has a reputation beyond reputeda_bull has a reputation beyond reputeda_bull has a reputation beyond reputeda_bull has a reputation beyond reputeda_bull has a reputation beyond reputeda_bull has a reputation beyond reputeda_bull has a reputation beyond reputeda_bull has a reputation beyond reputeda_bull has a reputation beyond reputeda_bull has a reputation beyond reputeda_bull has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via MSN to da_bull
Quote:
Originally Posted by MiguelACA
i know my subs can pump out more bass than they are right now, but if i turn up the volume, my speakers start sounding all fugly from the lower frequencies...

im thinking about getting bass blocker thingies that go in the speaker wires to stop certain frequencies from getting to the speakers...do they really work? can they go anywhere between the stereo and the speaker? or does it have to be right before the speaker? any brand? thanks!!!
Yup
Yup
Nope
Doesnt matter
No problem...

How's that for short and sweet? Yeah, what you are hearing is the smaller speakers playing frequencies they really arent designed to play. You can put them anywhere inline (like a fuse, it works anywhere inline). I'm not sure of any brands, but I think Stinger still makes them. Another avenue you might consider since you have to replace your headunit anyways, is a lot of radios around $200+ have crossovers built in. These are usually better than the "bass blockers", because they do their job BEFORE the headunits amp, instead of after. Its cleaner that way. You need one for every speaker and if my memory serves me right, theyre around 10-20 for a pair. I'd rather see you spend that 40 towards a better headunit that has one built in. Hope that helps...

Bill
da_male_cow

-There are 10 kinds of people. Those who understand binary, and those who do not.

-If we ever forget that we are One Nation Under God, then we will be a nation gone under...Ronald Reagan
da_bull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2007, 01:09 PM   #3 (permalink)
teh Canuck....eh

Car: '86 E30, baby! '05 Legacy 2.5GT Ltd
Photos:
PhatCat has a reputation beyond reputePhatCat has a reputation beyond reputePhatCat has a reputation beyond reputePhatCat has a reputation beyond reputePhatCat has a reputation beyond reputePhatCat has a reputation beyond reputePhatCat has a reputation beyond reputePhatCat has a reputation beyond reputePhatCat has a reputation beyond reputePhatCat has a reputation beyond reputePhatCat has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via MSN to PhatCat
Quote:
Originally Posted by da_bull
I'd rather see you spend that 40 towards a better headunit that has one built in. Hope that helps...

Bill
da_male_cow
I agree with Bill, that's the best way to go. I have an old-ish Panasonic and it sounds amazing with aftermarket speakers (Phoenix Gold's) and my old Kenwood Monoblock amp hooked up to a single 10" RF HR2 sub. For what it is...4 speakers, a head unit, sub and amp...it is loud enough and super clean, tight bass, and great response all through the range.(trust me, if need be, it'll blow a lot out of the water, but I'm not out for loud. I like the quality)
R
Old 04-04-2007, 02:19 PM   #4 (permalink)
The Messican

Photos:
MiguelACA has a reputation beyond reputeMiguelACA has a reputation beyond reputeMiguelACA has a reputation beyond reputeMiguelACA has a reputation beyond reputeMiguelACA has a reputation beyond reputeMiguelACA has a reputation beyond reputeMiguelACA has a reputation beyond reputeMiguelACA has a reputation beyond reputeMiguelACA has a reputation beyond reputeMiguelACA has a reputation beyond reputeMiguelACA has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Originally Posted by da_bull
Yup
Yup
Nope
Doesnt matter
No problem...

How's that for short and sweet? Yeah, what you are hearing is the smaller speakers playing frequencies they really arent designed to play. You can put them anywhere inline (like a fuse, it works anywhere inline). I'm not sure of any brands, but I think Stinger still makes them. Another avenue you might consider since you have to replace your headunit anyways, is a lot of radios around $200+ have crossovers built in. These are usually better than the "bass blockers", because they do their job BEFORE the headunits amp, instead of after. Its cleaner that way. You need one for every speaker and if my memory serves me right, theyre around 10-20 for a pair. I'd rather see you spend that 40 towards a better headunit that has one built in. Hope that helps...

Bill
da_male_cow
damn, read ur post too late, already have the sony stereo, so its settled then, ill be getting the bass blockers then, thanks!

Old 04-04-2007, 02:50 PM   #5 (permalink)
my car is red

Car: 94 325i, 84 325e
Photos:
94BMW325i has much to be proud of94BMW325i has much to be proud of94BMW325i has much to be proud of94BMW325i has much to be proud of94BMW325i has much to be proud of94BMW325i has much to be proud of94BMW325i has much to be proud of94BMW325i has much to be proud of94BMW325i has much to be proud of94BMW325i has much to be proud of
Send a message via AIM to 94BMW325i Send a message via Yahoo to 94BMW325i
miguel with a nice exhaust on your vr6 you wont be listening to music, that will be the only thing you want to hear

member and partial creator of pimpin the auto club
94BMW325i is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2007, 04:32 PM   #6 (permalink)
The Messican

Photos:
i have no money for an exhaust

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com > General Category > Audio and Electronics