changing the audio over to HK - BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com
Audio and Electronics The place to go to discuss sound systems and show off your I.C.E. along with security systems and radar detectors too!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
#1 (permalink) Old 06-03-2004, 09:17 PM
ex owner/admin

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Furious Furious Furious Furious Furious Furious Furious Furious Furious Furious Furious
Send a message via AIM to Furious
(Thread Starter)
ok i got the kick pannel speakers, and the rear deck speakers in. however the door speakers just barely fit, and the connectors do not. should i splice them in or get the proper connectors? does anyone know what part number they are?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 (permalink) Old 06-03-2004, 09:39 PM
Defector

El Presidente is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via AIM to El Presidente
why'd you go HK?

Anyway, I would go to a hardware store and just buy larger connectors.

<span style='color:gray'><span style='font-family:Courier'>1995 e36 3 Series RIP
1999 e46 3 Series BURN IN HELL
2000 MR-S Roadster= Current</span></span>
#3 (permalink) Old 06-04-2004, 07:22 AM
ex owner/admin

Furious Furious Furious Furious Furious Furious Furious Furious Furious Furious Furious
(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally posted by El Presidente@Jun 3 2004, 09:19 PM
why'd you go HK?

Anyway, I would go to a hardware store and just buy larger connectors.
got them for so cheap, they were pretty much new and i got them for about 100 canadian, (thats about 50-60 american) all the speakers. decent upgrade when i put them on my pioneer 4 channel amp

#4 (permalink) Old 06-04-2004, 10:04 AM
WOT in Reverse

jllphan has a reputation beyond repute jllphan has a reputation beyond repute jllphan has a reputation beyond repute jllphan has a reputation beyond repute jllphan has a reputation beyond repute jllphan has a reputation beyond repute jllphan has a reputation beyond repute jllphan has a reputation beyond repute jllphan has a reputation beyond repute jllphan has a reputation beyond repute jllphan has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to jllphan
First off, make sure mounting depth isnt going to be an issue. Drop the speaker in the door and roll the window up and down. It is possible but not likely that BMW added a baffle in the door panel to keep it away from the window as I am sure the HK speaker posesses a larger basket and magnet. When you say it wont fit or barely will, do you mean circumference or depth?

As for connections, the spacing of speaker terminals may differ between the Harmon and Nokia speakers,but I would think they both have standard spades. Just get some of those generic speaker connectors (pic below), snip the oem connector and reattach.

I am curious for feedback on how big of an improvement these make, as the construction of the Nokia speaker isnt horrible.
Attached Images

#5 (permalink) Old 06-04-2004, 01:24 PM
ex owner/admin

(Thread Starter)
new problem has arrisen,, i guess im gonna need the proper clip connectors to get these speakers to work on the door. spades are only used for the kick pannel speakers. i need to get the proper ones, and the biggest issue is that i need crossovers for the tweeters

can i use aftermarket crossovers to power the tweeters? or will this be one of those things ill have to get the OEM deal?

#6 (permalink) Old 06-04-2004, 01:42 PM
You Can Has A Custom Title!!

007ben is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via AIM to 007ben Send a message via Yahoo to 007ben
where you not using a cross over before? or did you have other after market speakers installed?

2008 128i Jetblack
#7 (permalink) Old 06-04-2004, 03:17 PM
WOT in Reverse

jllphan has a reputation beyond repute jllphan has a reputation beyond repute jllphan has a reputation beyond repute jllphan has a reputation beyond repute jllphan has a reputation beyond repute jllphan has a reputation beyond repute jllphan has a reputation beyond repute jllphan has a reputation beyond repute jllphan has a reputation beyond repute jllphan has a reputation beyond repute jllphan has a reputation beyond repute
What type of interface is on the HK door speaker? How does it differ from the tweet and kickpanel speaker? All you have to do is make a solid connection from the speaker lead to the pos. and neg. side of the speaker. There is no reason to have to use any factory clip other than for ease of installation.

As far as crossover, the oem three way should work fine. All the crossover does is divy up the proper frequency to each of the speakers. Tweet cant make bass...the crossover only sends out highs to the tweet. The midbass/kickpanel speaker cant reproduce high frequencies.....so the crossover sends only mid-frequencies to it. Seeing as though the HK and Nokia speaker systems use the same size (diameter) speakers, the crossover should be universal.

As for how BMW wired it, Im not positive. A standard aftermarket three-way component system just has a box (crossover) and has one input (from the amp) and three outputs. The crossover then balances impedence so the amp only sees one 4ohm load and thinks its driving one speaker and not three.

Actually now that i look at it, I believe the crossover for the oem speaker system is located inside the oem amp. Looking at the pin connection chart, it seems as though there is a lead for each driver.

This makes me curious. You replaced the oem amp, correct? How did you wire your speaker leads there Furious? According to the chart below, once you removed your oem amp you would have essentially ten speaker leads, and I have never seen a ten channel Pioneer amp with seperate crossover controls for each pair?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	e36_200w_stereo_pinouts.gif
Views:	28
Size:	28.6 KB
ID:	8817  

#8 (permalink) Old 06-04-2004, 03:19 PM
ex owner/admin

(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally posted by 007ben@Jun 4 2004, 01:22 PM
where you not using a cross over before? or did you have other after market speakers installed?
i had nokias in, they are a bigger and different connection, and the HK's are smaller connections. ill try to take pics soon.

#9 (permalink) Old 06-04-2004, 04:05 PM
WOT in Reverse

BTW, you dont need a crossover for the tweets, just run down to Radio Shak and buy a couple of capacitors. Look for something in the 200 micorfarad range and just wire them inline with the tweet speaker lead. THis will roll off frequencies below 135Hz.

#10 (permalink) Old 06-04-2004, 04:14 PM
You Can Has A Custom Title!!

007ben is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via AIM to 007ben Send a message via Yahoo to 007ben
the factory BMW wiring is diffrent signal for each speaker from the amp. so all x-over work is done at the amp.

but the cap is a good way to go as well.. It woulda taken me forever to remember something like that...

2008 128i Jetblack
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com > General Category > Audio and Electronics