cd changer plays, but the sound is terrible - BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com
Audio and Electronics The place to go to discuss sound systems and show off your I.C.E. along with security systems and radar detectors too!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
#1 (permalink) Old 01-13-2009, 11:58 AM
n00b

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
ahb1972 is on a distinguished road
(Thread Starter)
cd changer plays, but the sound is terrible

I've got a 99 E46 318 and I've just fitted a second hand 6 disk cd changer in the boot. It's one of the standard BMW branded stock ones...made by alpine I think (??)

Its been a total nightmare so far and now I'm really stuck.

The unit is wired to the standard two factory fitted wires and it reads the CD's fine and plays them, however the sound coming out of the speakers is bad. More specifically when the music is playing it sounds like there's a lot of interferance to the point of only just being able to make out the track (sounds a bit like very a badly tuned in FM station) and when the unit is not playing (doing a disk check or changing disks) a loud buzzing sound comes out.

I can turn the noises up or down with the volume control and the radio and tape player sound fine, so it's not the speakers themselves.

Anyone got any ideas what this could be?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 (permalink) Old 01-13-2009, 02:08 PM
OMFG another one!?

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
witeshark is just really nice witeshark is just really nice witeshark is just really nice witeshark is just really nice witeshark is just really nice
I would start with the connections to the player.

BMW

Sig by zeaq
#3 (permalink) Old 01-13-2009, 04:24 PM
da_administrator

da_bull has a reputation beyond repute da_bull has a reputation beyond repute da_bull has a reputation beyond repute da_bull has a reputation beyond repute da_bull has a reputation beyond repute da_bull has a reputation beyond repute da_bull has a reputation beyond repute da_bull has a reputation beyond repute da_bull has a reputation beyond repute da_bull has a reputation beyond repute da_bull has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via MSN to da_bull
to the forum.

I would maybe take it to a repair shop and see if they can clean and align the laser. If it is out of alignment, it can make for fuzzy sounds. Is this a burnt CD or a normal one? Some players (especially older ones) dont really know what to do with burnt CDs.

Hope that helps...

-There are 10 kinds of people. Those who understand binary, and those who do not.

-If we ever forget that we are One Nation Under God, then we will be a nation gone under...Ronald Reagan
#4 (permalink) Old 01-14-2009, 06:40 AM
n00b

ahb1972 is on a distinguished road
(Thread Starter)
Thanks for your responses

It had crossed my mind that it could be laser alignment, especially as I was originally getting a "NO DISC" error when disks were in and I've had to open up the unit and move the motors around to free them up a bit (which sorted the NO DISK error) so there's a possibility that I've screwed the laser positioning a bit. I have run a laser cleaning CD on the unit, without any difference.

The thing that makes me think it could be a connection problem is the electrical buzzing noise that comes out when it's changing disks, when I assume the laser would be switched off. This is all guesswork though as I'm not at all familiar with how it works

Only tried new CD's so it's not that.
#5 (permalink) Old 01-14-2009, 08:43 AM
da_administrator

da_bull has a reputation beyond repute da_bull has a reputation beyond repute da_bull has a reputation beyond repute da_bull has a reputation beyond repute da_bull has a reputation beyond repute da_bull has a reputation beyond repute da_bull has a reputation beyond repute da_bull has a reputation beyond repute da_bull has a reputation beyond repute da_bull has a reputation beyond repute da_bull has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via MSN to da_bull
Yeah the cleaners only do that, clean the eye. It just basically knocks the dust off the receiving eye, does nothing for aligning, does nothing to the laser end, and if the cleaning pads are thick, they could even knock them out of alignment. I really dont like them, just another "snake oil" thing in my books. A professional repair place can do a "clean and align" for not much more than these cleaners (local I think used to be 1 hour shop rate).

If the connections are fairly bright "brassy" looking, and its firmly plugged in, there's not much that can go wrong there, unless maybe a bad cord.

Hope that helps...

-There are 10 kinds of people. Those who understand binary, and those who do not.

-If we ever forget that we are One Nation Under God, then we will be a nation gone under...Ronald Reagan
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com > General Category > Audio and Electronics