calling dabull/oanyone thats good with audio - BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com
BMW Forum BMW Forum

Auto Insurance

» Featured Product
Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com > General Category > Audio and Electronics
Register Home Forum Active Topics Gallery / Showroom Auto Loans Garage Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Auto EscrowInsurance

Audio and Electronics The place to go to discuss sound systems and show off your I.C.E. along with security systems and radar detectors too!

BimmerWerkz.com is the premier BMW Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-30-2006, 04:08 PM   #1 (permalink)
3rd Gear Member

Car:
Photos:
bimmer3214 is on a distinguished road
Question calling dabull/oanyone thats good with audio

i called da bull because hes usually the one that answers everyones question on audio. i try sometimes but i need some help now. So i was happy with my sound system until this last week. I have a Penasonic head, Penasonic Speakers all around. two Type R 10s and an power acustik amp. and i like the sound from it but i drove my moms 2004 monte carlo ss with the upgraded boss system in it and it sounded amazing. it produces great lows and very nice highs. its has two 6x9 in the back and i think 6 1/2 in front. In my opinon this car sounds excellent. it has enough base and it doesnt even have subwoofers. so im wondering how i could get this sound out of mine. is there any way i can fit 6x9 in my back since i have a convertible i have those 5 1/4 all around and thats probably why i dont get as good of sound. and when i got it done (i had an audio shop do it for some reason unknown to me) they disconected my two speakers in teh door. im thinking i should replace those and all my other speakers with some alpines or infinity iv heard both. So is there anyway i can fit 6x9 in the back or would i have to get something custome made? and is this even worth my time since i have a convertible and sound doesnt resonate as well
bimmer3214 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-31-2006, 06:20 PM   #2 (permalink)
da_administrator

Car: Its slow, gotta M20 in it
Photos:
da_bull has a reputation beyond reputeda_bull has a reputation beyond reputeda_bull has a reputation beyond reputeda_bull has a reputation beyond reputeda_bull has a reputation beyond reputeda_bull has a reputation beyond reputeda_bull has a reputation beyond reputeda_bull has a reputation beyond reputeda_bull has a reputation beyond reputeda_bull has a reputation beyond reputeda_bull has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via MSN to da_bull
The Infinity's are a good choice. I use Alpine at work and while they are a good speaker, I really enjoy my ride home listening to my Infinity's. What you will need to do is pull out one of your rear 5.25"s and see if there is enough room for 6x9s. I cant remember, to be honest with you, if there is enough room or not. If so, yes the 6x9"s will sound much better because of the bigger size.

The thing about Bose, is they are enclosure people, not neccessarily speaker people. Rip apart any Bose home enclosure, car audio enclosure, Wave Radio, etc. and you will find out how well built the enclosures are. They spend their time and money building outstanding enclosures that make a small speaker sound big. The speakers really arent very good for the most part. Its all in the enclosure they are setting in. Since they usually consist of one speaker the range of music isnt really there.

There is an old saying about them: "No highs, no lows, must be Bose". They are great in the midbass, midrange and upper midrange, but the extreme high and low frequencies arent there. This is due to the enclosure giving a solid midbass, but is limited on the low end. Do this, put the settings in your moms car to the center (bass and treble), listen to a track you are familiar with, then go in and listen to the same track in your house system. Particulary listen to the extreme high and low frequencies.

In your case, the convertible is going to be the hardest obstacle to overcome. Since you have a dedicated sub system you should be able to get that volume ok. The hardest to overcome really is the midbass. That is hard to get in a car anyways, and being an open-top is way worse. The bigger the midrange speakers the better, and a midrange amplifier would be a great benefit as well. The panasonic speakers arent really the best for midbass anyways. They do good for the upper midrange and the tweeters are actually a little loud for my ears but they do ok there too. The Panasonic headunits really dont possess the power you need to overcome your convertible-ness

Doing a set of Infinitys (or Alpines, whichever sound the best to YOUR ears, not neccessarily mine, your buddies, the car audio saleman's...you get the point) and a small midrange amp would be my advice to you.

-There are 10 kinds of people. Those who understand binary, and those who do not.

-If we ever forget that we are One Nation Under God, then we will be a nation gone under...Ronald Reagan
da_bull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2006, 07:56 PM   #3 (permalink)
5th Gear Member

Car: 2006 Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution MR
Photos:
RexKing86 is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via AIM to RexKing86
I have a 12" JL w/ a 300 watt rockford amp on a pioneer HU with stock everything else. With the exeption of the front driver side kick panel speaker that is blown, the sub gives a good kick to the small speakers in the cabin...
Old 05-31-2006, 10:29 PM   #4 (permalink)
3rd Gear Member

Car:
Photos:
bimmer3214 is on a distinguished road
thanks da bull that was very helpfull ill probably go look and see if theres enough room for a 6x9 hopefully so. and Rex king thanks for the enough but i have subs already and i am very happy with them. and my stock system was shity everything blown. but i think ill go with the infiniti or alpine havent decided yet. but kinda leaning for the towards the alpine just because the subs have not dissapointed me at all
bimmer3214 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2006, 11:04 PM   #5 (permalink)
5th Gear Member

Car: 2006 Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution MR
Photos:
RexKing86 is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via AIM to RexKing86
check out MB Quart too! Pricey but amazing!

BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com > General Category > Audio and Electronics