Bmw Cd Changer, Won't Read Cd's - BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com
Audio and Electronics The place to go to discuss sound systems and show off your I.C.E. along with security systems and radar detectors too!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
#1 (permalink) Old 03-10-2005, 12:45 PM
2nd Gear Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
mikester328 is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via AIM to mikester328
(Thread Starter)
Hi,

My dad owns a '99 323i and has the BMW 6 CD Changer. It won't read any CD's, and when I took it out and looked in it I saw a wire kind of bent, as shown, inside of the changer, does anyone know what that does or if that may or maynot be my problem?

Thanks,

Mike
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC01631.JPG
Views:	977
Size:	113.0 KB
ID:	18276  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 (permalink) Old 03-10-2005, 11:34 PM
WOT in Reverse

jllphan has a reputation beyond repute jllphan has a reputation beyond repute jllphan has a reputation beyond repute jllphan has a reputation beyond repute jllphan has a reputation beyond repute jllphan has a reputation beyond repute jllphan has a reputation beyond repute jllphan has a reputation beyond repute jllphan has a reputation beyond repute jllphan has a reputation beyond repute jllphan has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to jllphan
looks like an Alpine changer.

Yeah, it's probably supposed to look like that, but not sure. Have you tried loading in a cleaning disc to see if that helps? Usually when a CD player won't read CD"s it's because the optical pick up (the laser eye thingy) is dirty. If you try that, and it doesn't work, I'd replace the changer. That's usually cheaper than getting it fixed.

#3 (permalink) Old 03-11-2005, 07:05 AM
Gear Member

BeachBunny has a reputation beyond repute BeachBunny has a reputation beyond repute BeachBunny has a reputation beyond repute BeachBunny has a reputation beyond repute BeachBunny has a reputation beyond repute BeachBunny has a reputation beyond repute BeachBunny has a reputation beyond repute BeachBunny has a reputation beyond repute BeachBunny has a reputation beyond repute BeachBunny has a reputation beyond repute BeachBunny has a reputation beyond repute
I don't know what I'm looking at exactly in that picture... but unless he's cramming blunt objects in there or something, it's more likely that something shorted out or wiggled free. If that IS an Alpine, and it looks like the one I got years ago, then he had to have gotten an adapter for sure... maybe those can go out?

I haven't cleaned mine since I got it and it plays, it just skips now and then and then and then . I heard you have to be careful when picking out the cleaner, though... any advice?

Oh yea, and you're playing the right kind of CD's right?
#4 (permalink) Old 03-11-2005, 08:29 PM
da_administrator

da_bull has a reputation beyond repute da_bull has a reputation beyond repute da_bull has a reputation beyond repute da_bull has a reputation beyond repute da_bull has a reputation beyond repute da_bull has a reputation beyond repute da_bull has a reputation beyond repute da_bull has a reputation beyond repute da_bull has a reputation beyond repute da_bull has a reputation beyond repute da_bull has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via MSN to da_bull
I think hes talking about the wire on the right side of the picture. If I remember right, that is like a (insert car suspension talk here) panhard bar and it keeps the assembly that selects the disc in a straight line. Alpine makes almost all the current cd changers for BMW. I am assuming it says BMW on the cover? If it loads them and sounds like its trying to do something, and it still wont read them, jllphan is right just replace it. You can ususally get an Alpine to work (with an adapter by Blitzsafe, Stinger or others) without having to do anything else to the car.

As far as playing the right cd's, most newer cd players will play burnt cds with no problem. Now onto an mp3 changer w00t...5 kabillion songs...

Hope that helps...

-There are 10 kinds of people. Those who understand binary, and those who do not.

-If we ever forget that we are One Nation Under God, then we will be a nation gone under...Ronald Reagan
#5 (permalink) Old 03-25-2005, 01:29 PM
n00b

Ratifiedimp is an unknown quantity at this point
i have the same problem, when you hit the cd button to choose CD, it just says no discs, you have to take it to BMW and have it fixed because BMW is the only one who will fix it, i dont know if they will charge you for it, but this problem has occurred in many other beamers as well, sorry to be the giver of bad news
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com > General Category > Audio and Electronics