blown speaker - what to do? - BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com
Audio and Electronics The place to go to discuss sound systems and show off your I.C.E. along with security systems and radar detectors too!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
#1 (permalink) Old 06-12-2006, 06:57 PM
68th gear and shifting

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
superdeadman has a spectacular aura about superdeadman has a spectacular aura about superdeadman has a spectacular aura about
Send a message via AIM to superdeadman
(Thread Starter)
blown speaker - what to do?

blew one of the speakers (the pass. side, rear one)
should i replace the speaker with OEM one?

i really want more bass in the car, mine got none at all!
should i put a sub in the car and put all the bass to it, so that the speaker won't see the low frequency pitches and won't make the crackling sound.
should i replace all 10 speakers for better performance? If so, what to go with to make it less pricy, i don't have much $$ to spend

member and partial creator of the Pimpin' The Auto club
Quote:
m20 pwr: "oh yeah baby, pour some acid on my penis"

R.I.P. fast 6
"drive hard
keep it clean
and most of all have fun driving"
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 (permalink) Old 06-12-2006, 08:55 PM
da_administrator

da_bull has a reputation beyond repute da_bull has a reputation beyond repute da_bull has a reputation beyond repute da_bull has a reputation beyond repute da_bull has a reputation beyond repute da_bull has a reputation beyond repute da_bull has a reputation beyond repute da_bull has a reputation beyond repute da_bull has a reputation beyond repute da_bull has a reputation beyond repute da_bull has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via MSN to da_bull
Quote:
Originally Posted by superdeadman
blew one of the speakers (the pass. side, rear one)
should i replace the speaker with OEM one?

i really want more bass in the car, mine got none at all!
should i put a sub in the car and put all the bass to it, so that the speaker won't see the low frequency pitches and won't make the crackling sound.
should i replace all 10 speakers for better performance? If so, what to go with to make it less pricy, i don't have much $$ to spend
None of the factory location speakers will give you very respectable bass. You will need some sort of sub to reproduce it like its meant to be. If you have one speaker that has gone bad, the rest are soon to follow. With not much moneys, replace one pair at a time as one goes bad (like replace your two rear passenger ones now only). Save you pennies and get a single 10" a decent small amp, and set 'er in there as you can.

-There are 10 kinds of people. Those who understand binary, and those who do not.

-If we ever forget that we are One Nation Under God, then we will be a nation gone under...Ronald Reagan
#3 (permalink) Old 06-12-2006, 11:08 PM
da_administrator

da_bull has a reputation beyond repute da_bull has a reputation beyond repute da_bull has a reputation beyond repute da_bull has a reputation beyond repute da_bull has a reputation beyond repute da_bull has a reputation beyond repute da_bull has a reputation beyond repute da_bull has a reputation beyond repute da_bull has a reputation beyond repute da_bull has a reputation beyond repute da_bull has a reputation beyond repute
Duh...I was thinking, we are on a BMW forum, BMW guys/gals always upgrade their speakers, SOMEBODY surely will have a stock set of speakers they could sell cheaply/donate to the happy purple dancing hippo. No music would make the hippo unhappy, and no one likes an unhappy hippo. Come on people look through your garage, drawers or wherever you put your stock speakers after you got your new ones...

What size you need deadman? I cant remember whats in your rear deck.

-There are 10 kinds of people. Those who understand binary, and those who do not.

-If we ever forget that we are One Nation Under God, then we will be a nation gone under...Ronald Reagan
#4 (permalink) Old 06-12-2006, 11:12 PM
Sodium Chloride

saltshaker185 is a splendid one to behold saltshaker185 is a splendid one to behold saltshaker185 is a splendid one to behold saltshaker185 is a splendid one to behold saltshaker185 is a splendid one to behold saltshaker185 is a splendid one to behold saltshaker185 is a splendid one to behold saltshaker185 is a splendid one to behold
Send a message via AIM to saltshaker185 Send a message via MSN to saltshaker185
id check classifids on bimmerforums.. they always have stock speakers headin outa there... speakers anrt cheap, so do them as they blow like cow said above....
#5 (permalink) Old 06-15-2006, 08:21 PM
68th gear and shifting

superdeadman has a spectacular aura about superdeadman has a spectacular aura about superdeadman has a spectacular aura about
(Thread Starter)
damn speakers!
i do'nt know what size, didn't have time to look into it yet.

p.s.: even though i don't know the size - chicks love it

Quote:

R.I.P. fast 6
"drive hard
keep it clean
#6 (permalink) Old 06-16-2006, 06:38 AM
da_administrator

lolerz...

#7 (permalink) Old 06-20-2006, 03:56 AM
You Can Has A Custom Title!!

DesmoBob is an unknown quantity at this point
superdeadman i got the same problem as you i blew one rear speaker, so i've been researching this to death.

what ride do you have? e36? e46? if e36, your rear can be anything from 4" nokia components to hk 6x9, depending on if it was factory premium option. sorry i don't know what they have in e46. whatever you do i wouldn't replace it with an oe speaker because you'll be selling yourself short.

if you have the 4" components in the rear, you can't just replace it with just any speaker because the stock amp has the crossover built in. the only drop in replacement i would recommend is MB Quart Discus series (bottom of the line MBQ) because they are rated low enough for factory amp. any other speaker will give you poor or very little sound. you can also get the 4" to 6x9 adapter brackets from bavariansoundwerks.com for $50 or $60. same goes for fronts, the crossover for the components is built in to the amp.

also note if you convert from 4" to 6x9:
if you have split fold down seats, you may have to make your own enclosures because the trunk will essentially become one big unsealed enclosure, and the split fold down config does not make a good seal. if you have non-fold down with passthrough, you may be able to seal it up enough to get acceptable sound. but the ultimately all setups will benefit from enclosures and dampening.

if you want to outright upgrade the speakers, you need to change your amp. the stock amp is only a paltry 30-35w or so, plus you can't get past the preset crossover.

if you change your amp, you'll have a whole new universe of speaker options.

for my problem, i figured i'd just overhaul everything. i don't need super bass so i'm not getting a sub. i'm replacing the stock 3-way in front with a better 2-way, and disconnecting the mids (a common practice). also converting from 4" to 6x9 in the rear, i'll build my own enclosure as needed. replacing amp, luckily HU was replaced by PO.

YMMV

#8 (permalink) Old 06-20-2006, 05:16 PM
68th gear and shifting

(Thread Starter)
hey man, thanks a lot for a reply.
i don't have e36/46
i got an e39 with premium package (so it's like 10 speakers) but i dont have DSP.
I really don't want to put up a lot of money. I already got tons of headaches (4 of my close friends got b-days, so it's $40 for each present... yeah ouch)
So i guess i'll live with it for a bit since the cracking only ahppens during bass, and my car has little bass to start with, so i might live, but who knows.
i'm just researching now, and i'll do something about it once i'll get more $$$

Quote:

R.I.P. fast 6
"drive hard
keep it clean
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com > General Category > Audio and Electronics