Blown Rear HK Speaker - BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com
BMW Forum BMW Forum

Auto Insurance

» Featured Product
Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com > General Category > Audio and Electronics
Register Home Forum Active Topics Gallery / Showroom Auto Loans Garage Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Auto EscrowInsurance

Audio and Electronics The place to go to discuss sound systems and show off your I.C.E. along with security systems and radar detectors too!

BimmerWerkz.com is the premier BMW Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-19-2004, 08:10 PM   #1 (permalink)
2nd Gear Member

Car:
Photos:
mikester328 is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via AIM to mikester328
Yo all,
My passenger side rear harmon/kardon speaker is blown, and I was needing to know if you know of a good upgrade to add a little bit of punch over the original HK speakers. They're good speakers, I like the quality tone they produce, the bass isn't overpowering the rest of the bands,but is it possible to wire up a speaker that may be a little more powerful? What size and stuff are these things? I'm totally new at taking speakers out of my car. There's a couple of rear HK speakers on ebay from an E36 convertible, would those fit? You guys got any suggestions on any other speakers/namebrands that will have more power than the HK speakers? Thanks a bunch...
mikester328 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-19-2004, 08:24 PM   #2 (permalink)
WOT in Reverse

Car:
Photos:
jllphan has a reputation beyond reputejllphan has a reputation beyond reputejllphan has a reputation beyond reputejllphan has a reputation beyond reputejllphan has a reputation beyond reputejllphan has a reputation beyond reputejllphan has a reputation beyond reputejllphan has a reputation beyond reputejllphan has a reputation beyond reputejllphan has a reputation beyond reputejllphan has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to jllphan
You should have a 4" speaker in the rear deck. If you have the HK system, I assume you have a tweet back there as well. Are they both blown or just the mid?

The down side is your oem speakers are very efficient compared to most aftermarket speakers. Aftermarket speakers are well made. But a well made speaker requires more power meaning they wouldn't be as loud with the same input power. Also, they may distort easier as the oem amp won't dish out enough power at higher volumes. If you go with an Infinity Reference coaxial speaker or MB Quart Discus coax replacemet, it should be efficient enough to sound good. You could pull out all four rear speakers and replace with seperates, but you may need more power to get your money's worth.
Old 08-21-2004, 10:52 PM   #3 (permalink)
2nd Gear Member

Car:
Photos:
hey Jllphan thanks for the post,

I guess I wasn't clear enough on the problem I'm having; it's the rear passenger side rear speaker, behind the backseat... that rear speaker, and just that one, its sound is sorta distorted, specially, with classical or jazz. I was wondering if there was better replacement of a speaker to put back there, or if I should change both speakers in the back, behind the rearseat.
Thanks
Old 08-21-2004, 11:00 PM   #4 (permalink)
WOT in Reverse

Car:
Photos:
jllphan has a reputation beyond reputejllphan has a reputation beyond reputejllphan has a reputation beyond reputejllphan has a reputation beyond reputejllphan has a reputation beyond reputejllphan has a reputation beyond reputejllphan has a reputation beyond reputejllphan has a reputation beyond reputejllphan has a reputation beyond reputejllphan has a reputation beyond reputejllphan has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to jllphan
Yeah dawg, I caught you the first time. The HK system to my knowledge consists of a ten speaker system, four of those being located in the rear parcel shelf behind the rear seat. There is a pod on both the driver and passenger side parcel shelf containing a 4" mid and a tweet. The aforementioned advise is applicable

I didn't mention replacing with an oem speaker, because I wouldn't.
Old 08-22-2004, 11:24 PM   #5 (permalink)
2nd Gear Member

Car:
Photos:
Cool cool man, thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com > General Category > Audio and Electronics