Auxiliary Input Using Blitzsafe/soundgate - BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com
Audio and Electronics The place to go to discuss sound systems and show off your I.C.E. along with security systems and radar detectors too!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
#1 (permalink) Old 01-17-2005, 11:59 AM
n00b

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
mattchapman is an unknown quantity at this point
(Thread Starter)
I have a 2001 330Ci Coupe with premium sound (HK speakers) and OEM 6CD changer. I'd like to install an ipod and understand you can install an auxiliary input using the CD changer interface. Adapters are available from Blitzsafe or Soundgate. I wanted to be able to retain my Cd changer rather then 'replace' it with the aux input. Here is what the guy at Soundgate said:
=====
If you want to get an AUX input and keep your factory changer you can
use the Soundgate SDS1v2 along with a DOCKBMWv2. This will give you two
auxiliary inputs and retain the use of the factory changer. Now I am
going to warn you that there is a very good chance that there will be
background noise in your vehicle with this set up. You may need to get a line
driver to boost the input voltage from the iPod. To fully get rid of the noise
you may even have to hard wire the Soundgate interfacing right behind the
radio, which may take professional installation.
=====

Has anyone heard of this "background noise" problem before? Is this because I want to retain my CD changer or does this happen with all aux inputs?

Also, anyone have experience with Soundgate vs Blitzsafe adaptors...ie. which is best?

Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 (permalink) Old 01-17-2005, 09:05 PM
n00b

gtc6244 is an unknown quantity at this point
Hey there - just FYI - I just received my SoundGate parts (BMWDock + SDS1v2 ) and will be testing it out sometime in the next week... I'll let you know what I hear - I also have a 2001 330Ci /w HK and a pre-wire for the 6CD changer - which is were I'm going to hook everything up.

--GTC
#3 (permalink) Old 01-18-2005, 12:17 AM
3rd Gear Member

Q_BMW is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via AIM to Q_BMW Send a message via MSN to Q_BMW
hey guys
i have a 2001 330i which is pre wired like all the cars for a cd changer but i do not have a changer. I want to wire my ipod connection through the aux connection for the cd changer as well but i am quite confused and lost. If you guys could fill be in with what parts to get and a quick DIY would GREATLY appreciate the help!
thanks
Q

<span style='font-size:15pt;line-height:100%'><span style='color:red'>JUST SOLD:</span> <span style='color:blue'>01 BMW 330i with Sport &amp; M Package(5sp)</span></span>

<span style='font-size:14pt;line-height:100%'><span style='color:blue'>Past:</span> <span style='color:red'>1996 BMW 328i</span></span>

<span style='font-size:14pt;line-height:100%'><a href='http://www.ofoto.com/BrowsePhotos.jsp?&collid=10038932107&page=1&sort_o rder=0' target='_blank'>PICTURES!!</a></span>
#4 (permalink) Old 01-18-2005, 10:19 AM
n00b

mattchapman is an unknown quantity at this point
(Thread Starter)
Hey qtc6244, do you know where the 'switch' would lie which allows you to switch from CD changer to aux? Do you have to run this all the way to the dash also?

I know the Blitzsafe part allows you to switch automatically using radio buttons between 6CD and the Aux. But it doesn't work on the factory CD changer

DO let me know how it sounds....I plan to order the Soundgate part today,
#5 (permalink) Old 01-18-2005, 01:31 PM
n00b

mattchapman - I'm not sure, since I don't actually have the 6CD changer, and the soundgate wiring didn't come with any comment on that. It appeears to have a pass through for audio (which I assume is for the changer) and 2 aux inputs ... to select the appropriate AUX input, there's a toggle button with enough cabling to run back up to the front of your car somewhere .... I'm not sure how you would toggle the CD/Aux setting though. From what I understand of the IBUS system, it should be too hard, though I'm not seeing an iBus connector on the wire loom anywhere .... :shrug: I'll let you know this weekend when I play with it a bit ...

--GTC
#6 (permalink) Old 01-27-2005, 02:58 AM
n00b

sylman is an unknown quantity at this point
Hello all,
here is what I'm trying to do. Build my own wiring in order the connect my Ipod to the rear panel of my BMW-Alpine car radio. I assume after research that some of the 12 pluggs free need to be connected. Pins 3, 4 and 10 are respectively made for L+ , R+ and R/L -. What I need to know now is the wiring that will give the information to the radio that an aux is plugged. Does anybody that have already installed the "radio auxiliary input kit" help me? thank you
Sylman
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	aux_kit3.jpg
Views:	566
Size:	27.8 KB
ID:	16759  
#7 (permalink) Old 01-27-2005, 01:13 PM
n00b

Hi there,

I don't have the pinouts for the back of the radio handy, but ....

Attached is the pinout for the audio connector & iBus connectors found in the trunk of your car - the source of the PDF is the yahoo HackTheIBus group.

[attachmentid=17732]

I still haven't actually gotten around to installing my soundgate adapter, but from looking at the available connections, it seems like there is no iBus connection required, so you are just dealing with the 6 pin CD connector. Which are Left/Right +/- and grounds ... doesn't look like there is anything else to notify to the head unit that a device is attached, so one of the lines probably just sends out a high/low signal ... or perhaps just senses that there is an audio signal coming in (as the BMW factor CD changer is controlled through the iBus). Some of the people over at HackTheIBus would probably know - I am aware that I can trigger the aux connection through my PC when it's hooked up to my car, but with the SoundGate adaptor apparently nothing of the sort is required....

--GTC
Attached Files
File Type: pdf CDAI_Connectors.pdf (254.5 KB, 229 views)
#8 (permalink) Old 01-27-2005, 01:15 PM
Been here a while.

97alpineM3 is a name known to all 97alpineM3 is a name known to all 97alpineM3 is a name known to all 97alpineM3 is a name known to all 97alpineM3 is a name known to all 97alpineM3 is a name known to all
Send a message via AIM to 97alpineM3 Send a message via MSN to 97alpineM3
I dont mean to ruin the fun here... good posting here.... this isnt the audio forum though...

Moving,

Les

1997 E36 M3 1990 E30 325i
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com > General Category > Audio and Electronics