Amplifier ACC Power Source in Trunk - BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com
BMW Forum BMW Forum

» Auto Insurance

» Featured Product
» Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com > General Category > Audio and Electronics
Register Home Forum Active Topics Gallery / Showroom Auto Loans Garage Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Auto EscrowInsurance

Audio and Electronics The place to go to discuss sound systems and show off your I.C.E. along with security systems and radar detectors too!

BimmerWerkz.com is the premier BMW Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-23-2009, 07:51 PM   #1 (permalink)
n00b

Car:
Photos:
95black318i is on a distinguished road
Exclamation Amplifier ACC Power Source in Trunk

Hello all,
I'm trying to install a powered sub in the trunk of my e36. Since the battery is located in the trunk, it's easy enough to get an "always hot" connection.
What I'm having problems with is getting an "acc/hot" connection, or remote power that is only on when you turn the key.
Does anyone know if there is such a wire that is in the trunk somewhere? There are many wires, but most of these are hot for the lights. I'm not aware of any wire being hot only after I turn the key on.
I removed the left hand side wheel well cover and there were some harnesses but the all looked like they were for the rear lights. Nothing obvious for an optional amp.
The car did have a cd changer, but the only wires that went to the unit were the unilink cable and the rca patch cables.
I am trying to avoid running a wire all the way from the dash out to the trunk!
The car did not have an amp in it so I can't just transfer existing wires.
Any info would be appreciated.
95black318i is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-23-2009, 09:04 PM   #2 (permalink)
Ich bin der Modifikator

Car: 97'E36 2.8 w/Optional Sport Package
Photos:
johnnyBgood is a jewel in the roughjohnnyBgood is a jewel in the roughjohnnyBgood is a jewel in the rough
Garage
Is this an "auto on" amp, you are installing?
johnnyBgood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2009, 09:23 PM   #3 (permalink)
n00b

Car:
Photos:
Hi again Johnny,
I hadn't seen this section of Audio and Electronics.
Yes, I'm trying to set up a Basslink. It has a switch for auto on. You can set it for on or off.
Any ideas?
Old 04-23-2009, 09:28 PM   #4 (permalink)
n00b

Car:
Photos:
Hmmm I just read on my manual that if you use the speaker level connections, you dont need to install a remote wire because the amp senses voltage, but if you use the line inputs then you do have to install a remote. I am using the line inputs, but I wonder if I tap into one of the speakers with a simple wire, if it will sense with that. I wonder if the sound will be compromised. Tomorrow I experiment.
Old 04-23-2009, 09:32 PM   #5 (permalink)
Ich bin der Modifikator

Car: 97'E36 2.8 w/Optional Sport Package
Photos:
johnnyBgood is a jewel in the roughjohnnyBgood is a jewel in the roughjohnnyBgood is a jewel in the rough
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by 95black318i View Post
Hmmm I just read on my manual that if you use the speaker level connections, you dont need to install a remote wire because the amp senses voltage, but if you use the line inputs then you do have to install a remote. I am using the line inputs, but I wonder if I tap into one of the speakers with a simple wire, if it will sense with that. I wonder if the sound will be compromised. Tomorrow I experiment.
That's exactly why I asked if it was an auto on.......you can splice right into the rear speaker wires......

johnny,
johnnyBgood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2009, 09:39 PM   #6 (permalink)
da_administrator

Car: Its slow, gotta M20 in it
Photos:
da_bull has a reputation beyond reputeda_bull has a reputation beyond reputeda_bull has a reputation beyond reputeda_bull has a reputation beyond reputeda_bull has a reputation beyond reputeda_bull has a reputation beyond reputeda_bull has a reputation beyond reputeda_bull has a reputation beyond reputeda_bull has a reputation beyond reputeda_bull has a reputation beyond reputeda_bull has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via MSN to da_bull
The sound wont be compromised. It just takes a sample of the AC signal and tells the amp to start drawing from the main power wire. The speaker level input is such a high impedance, you rear speakers wont know the difference.

-There are 10 kinds of people. Those who understand binary, and those who do not.

-If we ever forget that we are One Nation Under God, then we will be a nation gone under...Ronald Reagan
da_bull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2009, 11:45 PM   #7 (permalink)
n00b

Car:
Photos:
Thanks for all the help guys.
Do you think it will work if I just splice ONE wire rather than a pair?
Old 04-24-2009, 07:30 AM   #8 (permalink)
da_administrator

Car: Its slow, gotta M20 in it
Photos:
da_bull has a reputation beyond reputeda_bull has a reputation beyond reputeda_bull has a reputation beyond reputeda_bull has a reputation beyond reputeda_bull has a reputation beyond reputeda_bull has a reputation beyond reputeda_bull has a reputation beyond reputeda_bull has a reputation beyond reputeda_bull has a reputation beyond reputeda_bull has a reputation beyond reputeda_bull has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via MSN to da_bull
I would do both. The bass information (for the most part) is recorded mono, but I have heard a few tracks that are actually in stereo. I'd hook the other up, especially since you are using it also for a remote lead.

to werkz BTW...

-There are 10 kinds of people. Those who understand binary, and those who do not.

-If we ever forget that we are One Nation Under God, then we will be a nation gone under...Ronald Reagan
da_bull is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com > General Category > Audio and Electronics