BMW Werkz banner

Amplifier!!

2K views 6 replies 5 participants last post by  El Presidente 
#1 ·
My husbands birthday is coming up and I want to get him an amplifier for his ride. Its a 1998 328I E36. What should I be looking for in a good amp?

#2 ·
Not sure what your goal is for upgrading his system, but I keep hearing wonderful things regarding the infinity BassLink
http://www.epinions.com/Infinity_10__Bassl...isplay_~reviews

As most of all already know, the E36 factory systems are sorely lacking bass, and even Bav auto tauts this unit as the perfect compliment to the factory system.

Im still on the hunt for this myself, You can find em for $160 on ebay (they usually charge $30 shipping) Circuit city had it on sale a couple of weeks ago for $199. If it goes on sale there again, Im gonna add it to my car.

Good luck!
NL

#3 ·
Whats the amp going to be used for?

If he has a sub, or is adding a sub, Alpine makes great amps and are available at your local circuit city. Otherwise....

An amp is not a good gift for an e36. The factory amp is 10 channels, whereas most after market amps are 4 channels. Very good amps are 6 and 7 channel. In addition to the amp, you also have to create a crossover network. Finally, unless he has aftermarket speakers, the new amp will be too powerful and blow them.

New speakers would be a better gift.

#5 ·
An amplified sub-woofer would be a great add-on if he doesn't have one already.

That Bass Link sounds good. Here's the important part of the review mentioned above if you have'nt read it already:

Sound Quality
The sound quality from this subwoofer is amazing considering how small it is. The main reason for this is because it contains a 10” subwoofer and a 10” passive radiator. This allows the bass to be clear, crisp, and uninterrupted.

This subwoofer runs at 200 watts RMS, which isn’t nearly as much as some of the subs on the market now, but it is definitely enough. My mirror generally shakes when I’m driving with it, unless it is at a really low volume, and it is powerful to shake your seats, if that is what your looking for. If your not, then you can always turn it down with the remote volume control.

#6 ·
Like the guys have already mentioned, the Infinity Basslink is one of the best ways to improve the existing audio system in the aforementioned car. It will give the presence of low end, which is the first thing most people miss in car audio systems, whether their conscious or not of the fact.

Adding an amp can be tricky, as can new speakers....this is the best solution.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.