Amp Help - BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com
BMW Forum BMW Forum

Auto Insurance

» Featured Product
Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com > General Category > Audio and Electronics
Register Home Forum Active Topics Gallery / Showroom Auto Loans Garage Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Auto EscrowInsurance

Audio and Electronics The place to go to discuss sound systems and show off your I.C.E. along with security systems and radar detectors too!

BimmerWerkz.com is the premier BMW Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-20-2006, 04:53 PM   #1 (permalink)
3rd Gear Member

Car:
Photos:
bimmer3214 is on a distinguished road
Amp Help

So my stereo was working on my way to work this morning fine. everything just perfect. about 6 hours later when i leave work my subs arent working. So i think they are disconnected or something so i just drive home. I get home look and they are connected. I look at the amp everything is working fine green light. everything elumenated. So i check fuses, which are all fine. then i check the speaker wire. ALso fine i switched out about four times. Then im like shit it must be my speakers so i try to hook up different speakers to the amp. No luck. tried with about a hundred different peices of wire no luck. so then i think rca wires. everything is fine with those. I even took out my HU to make sure they were in the right places. everything is connected and all fuses are good. No sound from any speakers or any speaker wire. Is it blown. Someone help fast i hate driving without base.
bimmer3214 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-20-2006, 07:13 PM   #2 (permalink)
5th Gear Member

Car: 2006 Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution MR
Photos:
RexKing86 is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via AIM to RexKing86
are your subs hooked up in series or parallel? Idk for sure, but I knoe doing it one way causes an amp to die quicker... sorry that was vague.
Old 06-20-2006, 10:07 PM   #3 (permalink)
da_administrator

Car: Its slow, gotta M20 in it
Photos:
da_bull has a reputation beyond reputeda_bull has a reputation beyond reputeda_bull has a reputation beyond reputeda_bull has a reputation beyond reputeda_bull has a reputation beyond reputeda_bull has a reputation beyond reputeda_bull has a reputation beyond reputeda_bull has a reputation beyond reputeda_bull has a reputation beyond reputeda_bull has a reputation beyond reputeda_bull has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via MSN to da_bull
Get a voltmeter, check the power and remote lead for 10 volts or more. Use the amp's ground to ground your meter (that'll check to make sure you havent lost ground). If that is good, hook up a known good speaker to only one channel (left or right doesnt matter) to see if the amp is still good. I am betting on one (or both) of your speakers are blown and it took out your amp with it. It is very common. A lot of times when a speaker blows you cant turn off your amp fast enough to keep damage from happening. Sorry to be the bearer of bad news. Good luck...

-There are 10 kinds of people. Those who understand binary, and those who do not.

-If we ever forget that we are One Nation Under God, then we will be a nation gone under...Ronald Reagan
da_bull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2006, 11:09 PM   #4 (permalink)
3rd Gear Member

Car:
Photos:
so a 980 MAx watt amp can take out 2 1500 max watt Type-r's i thought they were super under power. but ill check it out tomarrow. thanks for the help. oh and iv already hooked up like three different good positivly good speakers and none have worked.
Old 06-20-2006, 11:19 PM   #5 (permalink)
3rd Gear Member

Car:
Photos:
well its not the subs i just tried them cuz i got scared. they still work. so is the amp just fried. i Had them hooked up like on a two channel amp. positive on left side negative on right side. then i had a wire running from negative to positve on subs and then the wires from the amp hooked to one and negitve to another. i think thats parallel
Old 06-21-2006, 05:23 AM   #6 (permalink)
da_administrator

Photos:
da_bull has a reputation beyond reputeda_bull has a reputation beyond reputeda_bull has a reputation beyond reputeda_bull has a reputation beyond reputeda_bull has a reputation beyond reputeda_bull has a reputation beyond reputeda_bull has a reputation beyond reputeda_bull has a reputation beyond reputeda_bull has a reputation beyond reputeda_bull has a reputation beyond reputeda_bull has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Originally Posted by bimmer3214
so a 980 MAx watt amp can take out 2 1500 max watt Type-r's i thought they were super under power. but ill check it out tomarrow. thanks for the help. oh and iv already hooked up like three different good positivly good speakers and none have worked.
Its distortion, not power that destroys speakers. Underpowering a speaker is actually worse than too much power. I can kill one of your speakers with 10 watts, if that ten watts is distorted. More power controls the speaker better.

The problem is our cars are built so well to isolate sound coming from the outside of the car keeping the interior quiet, that its hard to reproduce bass. They are built to shroud out low frequency road noise as you travel. We want the low frequency bass, hence you have to turn the subs up a little.

Here is a series vs. parallel diagram:

-There are 10 kinds of people. Those who understand binary, and those who do not.

-If we ever forget that we are One Nation Under God, then we will be a nation gone under...Ronald Reagan
Old 06-21-2006, 07:17 AM   #7 (permalink)
3rd Gear Member

Car:
Photos:
ok i had a series not parallel. but my speakers arent blowen they work just fine.
Old 06-21-2006, 05:34 PM   #8 (permalink)
da_administrator

Photos:
just for something to keep in mind, not a big deal but anyways...when wired in series, if one speaker comes disconnected or blows up, the other wont play due to lack of a continuous wire.

Old 06-21-2006, 07:57 PM   #9 (permalink)
3rd Gear Member

Car:
Photos:
yes i know that its happen like a million times. haha. i ckecked that its good speakers work fine. I tried different speakers know to work on both channels and hooked up like i had the subs hooked up and nothing. There is power to the amp green light saying its good everything eluminated but no sound. Does this mean its blown? Or can there be nothing liten up if it is blown? i just need to know if its blown or not
Old 06-21-2006, 09:33 PM   #10 (permalink)
da_administrator

Photos:
When the green light comes on, on a lot of amplifiers that just means you have power at the remote lead, not neccesarily that the power chips are turning on and operating as normal. see if you can borrow a buddies amp, hook it to one speaker. This will let you and I know if the RCAs are still good. I'm betting on the amp being blown.

Old 06-21-2006, 11:05 PM   #11 (permalink)
3rd Gear Member

Car:
Photos:
ok thanks Da bull you have been a big help. i wanted a new amp anyways and this is just a reason to go buy one.
Old 06-22-2006, 05:14 AM   #12 (permalink)
da_administrator

Photos:
lol, there ya go, new audio stuff FTW...

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com > General Category > Audio and Electronics