is this amp good enough? - BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com
BMW Forum BMW Forum

Auto Insurance

» Featured Product
Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com > General Category > Audio and Electronics
Register Home Forum Active Topics Gallery / Showroom Auto Loans Garage Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Auto EscrowInsurance

Audio and Electronics The place to go to discuss sound systems and show off your I.C.E. along with security systems and radar detectors too!

BimmerWerkz.com is the premier BMW Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-06-2006, 01:25 AM   #1 (permalink)
The Messican

Car: 2000 2.3 Z3
Photos:
MiguelACA has a reputation beyond reputeMiguelACA has a reputation beyond reputeMiguelACA has a reputation beyond reputeMiguelACA has a reputation beyond reputeMiguelACA has a reputation beyond reputeMiguelACA has a reputation beyond reputeMiguelACA has a reputation beyond reputeMiguelACA has a reputation beyond reputeMiguelACA has a reputation beyond reputeMiguelACA has a reputation beyond reputeMiguelACA has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to MiguelACA
is this amp good enough?

i need an amp to power two 10'' kicker comps
these are the specs on the subs:

10" 4-ohm subwoofer
polymineral cone with double-stitched foam surround
high-strength steel basket
frequency response: 30-500
power handling: 50-150 watts RMS
peak power: 300 watts
sensitivity: 87.3 dB
mounting depth: 4-13/16"
spring-loaded nickel-plated terminals
sealed box volume 1.0-2.4 cu. ft.
ported box volume 1.25-1.75
works in free-air applications

would this be a good choice to power them?

eBay: FACTORY TESTED BAZOOKA BA1500 500 WATT MONO SUBWOOF AM (item 220044394905 end time Nov-08-06 09:45:45 PST)

the subs will be bridged since the box only has one thingy (lol) to connect both subs

any other suggestions as to what amp to use?

this is the amp that my cousin is using to power these exact subs, and it sounds awesome, just wondering if there is something better i could use?
eBay Motors: DEI XTREME XA-5001 500 WATT MONO BLOCK AMPLIFIER (item 290034926218 end time Nov-28-06 10:54:03 PST)

A morning of awkwardness is better than a night of loneliness
MiguelACA is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-06-2006, 05:06 AM   #2 (permalink)
da_administrator

Car: Its slow, gotta M20 in it
Photos:
da_bull has a reputation beyond reputeda_bull has a reputation beyond reputeda_bull has a reputation beyond reputeda_bull has a reputation beyond reputeda_bull has a reputation beyond reputeda_bull has a reputation beyond reputeda_bull has a reputation beyond reputeda_bull has a reputation beyond reputeda_bull has a reputation beyond reputeda_bull has a reputation beyond reputeda_bull has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via MSN to da_bull
A good rule of thumb, is look at the fuses. The Extreme has 2-30amp fuses, or 60 amps. R-O-T: take the fuse rating, multiply it by 6, that'll give you the power it actually does. So 60x6=360. 360 is the actually RMS power that it will do. D-class amps you can multiply time 9, since they are more efficient. So in the case of the Bazooka, it has 3-20amp fuses, so it should do the same power.

There is a big, long formula for figuring out actual power, but that will get you close enough.

You see how your subs have an RMS power and peak power. Throw the peak/max power in the trash on anything mobile audio, because it is a made up number by the manufacturer. Concentrate only on RMS power ratings, that's what matters. Max/peak power usually is twice what the RMS power is (or close).

I have installed both amps, and there is a reason that the Xtreme one is more, its a slightly better amp.

Ok, my fingers hurt from typing , gotta go to work, hope that helps...

Keep the shiny side up...

-There are 10 kinds of people. Those who understand binary, and those who do not.

-If we ever forget that we are One Nation Under God, then we will be a nation gone under...Ronald Reagan
da_bull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2006, 10:51 AM   #3 (permalink)
The Messican

Photos:
MiguelACA has a reputation beyond reputeMiguelACA has a reputation beyond reputeMiguelACA has a reputation beyond reputeMiguelACA has a reputation beyond reputeMiguelACA has a reputation beyond reputeMiguelACA has a reputation beyond reputeMiguelACA has a reputation beyond reputeMiguelACA has a reputation beyond reputeMiguelACA has a reputation beyond reputeMiguelACA has a reputation beyond reputeMiguelACA has a reputation beyond repute
hmm, i think i understood what youre telling me, so then i guess i should go for the xtreme amp then, is there anything else along the same price range, or do you recommend that i jsut go wth the xtreme amp???

Old 11-06-2006, 06:00 PM   #4 (permalink)
da_administrator

Photos:
da_bull has a reputation beyond reputeda_bull has a reputation beyond reputeda_bull has a reputation beyond reputeda_bull has a reputation beyond reputeda_bull has a reputation beyond reputeda_bull has a reputation beyond reputeda_bull has a reputation beyond reputeda_bull has a reputation beyond reputeda_bull has a reputation beyond reputeda_bull has a reputation beyond reputeda_bull has a reputation beyond repute
Not really, thats pretty cheap, for what you are getting. Just make sure that if you get anything electronic on ebay you make sure its from a reputable seller and ask about a warranty.

-There are 10 kinds of people. Those who understand binary, and those who do not.

-If we ever forget that we are One Nation Under God, then we will be a nation gone under...Ronald Reagan
Old 11-06-2006, 06:30 PM   #5 (permalink)
The Messican

Photos:
i was gonna get the bazooka amp on ebay, the price was nice and 2 year insurance on it is 8 bucks, but since u think that the extreme amp would be better, im gonna buy it locally, its like 89.99 here

Old 11-06-2006, 08:50 PM   #6 (permalink)
da_administrator

Photos:
Kewl, I always prefer electronics from a brick-and-mortar store, just for the fact you can chew on someone if it goes wrong. Its worth the extra little bit just for that fact.

Old 11-07-2006, 12:16 AM   #7 (permalink)
The Messican

Photos:
yea, i do too, just that square trade offered 2 year insurance on the amp for 8 bucks, still, ill get the xtreme amp

thanks alot, really appreciate it!

Old 11-07-2006, 05:01 AM   #8 (permalink)
da_administrator

Photos:
No problem, have fun...

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com > General Category > Audio and Electronics