BMW Werkz banner

alpine unit with Pioneer changer - not working

3K views 14 replies 7 participants last post by  BobCT 
#1 ·
Sorry, a little background is in order. I recently bought a '95 325ic which the
previous owner had a BMW/Pioneer changer installed 3 years ago. Owner says the changer worked with Alpine radio (stock). The day before I p/u the car the battery goes dead and the radio goes "SAFE". The display is blown out anyway so I pull it out and chuck it. I get another Alpine C33 on Ebay and install it. When I hit
the "TAPE/CD" button is only says "no tape". I cannot get it to play CD's at all.
Changer has power and ejects the catridge but does not make any noise when
putting the catridge IN to the changer (I don't know if this is normal or not).
I checked continuity on each pin on the cable going from the radio to the changer -all good. I figure the radio must be bad and I get another one and it does the same thing. I figure that it has to be the changer. I'm ready to ship it out to Pioneer today and last night I see a guy on Ebay selling the same Alpine C33 and it specifically says that it will NOT operate a changer. I'm 95% certain that the radio I pulled out was a C33 because I think that's how I found the other ones on Ebay, but I'm beginning to wonder if I have a radio which is setup for the '96 +
wiring which is why the radio won't recongnize the changer. Because I didn't have the code for the original radio and it was shot anyway I never actually tried it with the changer. Any thoughts are greatly appreciated - I'm stumped.

See less See more
#2 ·
The changer should try to read the magazine. If you dont hear anything at all, ht echanger isn't working. Disconnect it from the power source with the mag ejected, and then inert the mag, making sure it is empty. If it doesn't try to cycle trhough the cd slots at all then the changer is dead.

#8 ·
I am no expert on this, but from what little I know the model year is more important than the brand of changer. 96+ model years use "I-Bus" communication to communicate with the HU, 95 and older non "I-bus". So you need a non i-bus HU with either a Pioneer or Alpine non i-bus changer, or a i-bus HU with a i-bus changer. 1995 was the year things changed, so to speak. Does that make any sense?

#12 ·
As with oem (by aftermarket) I'm not sure. But with regards to Alpine and Pioneer's regular line, neither have EVER offered compatible components. IF the changer doesn't cycle the changer is most likely done. The downside to repairing the unit is that 75% of the time, once it is repaired other aspects of the changer will fail shortly thereafter. :thumbsdown

Regardless, I would heed Prez's advice and replace the oem deck with a decent aftermarket unit....

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.