Alpine 9831 into '98 328 coupe with HK? - BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com
BMW Forum BMW Forum

» Auto Insurance

» Featured Product
» Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com > General Category > Audio and Electronics
Register Home Forum Active Topics Gallery / Showroom Auto Loans Garage Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Auto EscrowInsurance

Audio and Electronics The place to go to discuss sound systems and show off your I.C.E. along with security systems and radar detectors too!

BimmerWerkz.com is the premier BMW Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-11-2004, 09:23 AM   #1 (permalink)
n00b

Car:
Photos:
bobster is an unknown quantity at this point
Hi All

Have a '98 328 with the HK setup. Looking to install an aftermarket HU and after reading around, seems like the favourite brands are alpine and nakamichi - people seem to rate these for SQ and also match with the dashboard.

my preference is for the alpine given its greater compatibility (mp3 cd etc).

tempted by the 9831 as doing the install myself and i understand that the higher spec models (9833 up) require a separate wire to the battery which sounds a bit complicated (probably v s'forward if u know what you're doing). also am guessing that the additional power of the amp in the 9833 won't benefit my anyway as i'll be running through the HK amp(?)

have the following qns if anyone can help:

-will the 9831 install be a simple as plugging in a harness adapter and radio adapter?
-will this cause any problems with the HK system?
-given the HK system has its own amp, would i be able to use the amps in the head unit to drive a sub-woofer i fit one at a later date?
-does anyone have any comments on the 9831 vs other models in the alpine range?
-i understand the 9831 buttons appear orange, but the text on the screen can also be changed to show orange. is this straightforward?

any thoughts much appreciated!
bobster is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-11-2004, 09:53 AM   #2 (permalink)
n00b

Car:
Photos:
ps - am guessing that a new head unit will give me improved sound qual vs the standard head unit?

am looking to swap the head unit rather than getting a new oem bmw boot changer which i'm guessing may not play mp3 cds and does not give me upgradeability down the line.

...but i quite like the stock look of my current h/u...
Old 07-11-2004, 11:22 AM   #3 (permalink)
WOT in Reverse

Car:
Photos:
jllphan has a reputation beyond reputejllphan has a reputation beyond reputejllphan has a reputation beyond reputejllphan has a reputation beyond reputejllphan has a reputation beyond reputejllphan has a reputation beyond reputejllphan has a reputation beyond reputejllphan has a reputation beyond reputejllphan has a reputation beyond reputejllphan has a reputation beyond reputejllphan has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to jllphan
Your Alpine will come with a harness. You will also need to buy an aftermarket harness for your BMW (Metra part no. 70-8590). Both of these harnesses have bare wire on one end and a plug on the other. merely connect the bare wire ends, and you are left with a harness with plugs on each end. One goes to your car, the other to your new radio. Simple. This shouldn't cause any trouble to your existing system. You will also need an antenna adaptor for your new deck (Metra Part no. 40-NI10).

You don't need to run a seperate wire to the batttery. Alpine's V-drive internal amps are good, but that's a little overkill in my book. They also don't have enough juice or proper crossover to run a sub now or later.

The CDA-9831 by Alpine is a decent deck. But I thought the illumination was blue/green. And I wasn't aware that any of it could be switched permenently to amber.
Old 07-11-2004, 12:48 PM   #4 (permalink)
Defector

Car:
Photos:
El Presidente is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via AIM to El Presidente
The only Alpine model I know of that switches to amber is the 7894. I know their are others, but I don't know their models, as I haven't been shopping for a new one lately.

My 7894 is not connected to the battery, and it still draws ample power. Even without a sub in the car, it has sufficeint draw to dim the lights. Also, you are correct about power. The HU is sending a signal to the amp, and the amp is sending power to the speakers. You will still gain SQ, but not as much as if you were to bypass the amp.
El Presidente is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2004, 01:25 PM   #5 (permalink)
n00b

Car:
Photos:
thanks guys. wondering if the colour confusion is as i'm based in the uk and looking at a uk / euro spec alpine head unit - uk model is actually called 9831r and comes with 'i-personalise' which permits you to select one of 512 (i think) colours for the buttons.

http://www.alpine-europe.com/alpine/cms/de...p=277&details=1

in case you're wondering, cheapest prices i can get on a mail order euro spec unit are much higher than the deals you US guys can get from somewhere like crutchfield...

el presidente - saw the pics of your headunit in the sticky post at the top of the ice forum here - do you have any more pics which show more of the dashboard with the alpine h/u in place? just be interested to see how it looks vs a larger expanse of dashboard
Old 07-11-2004, 07:02 PM   #6 (permalink)
Defector

Car:
Photos:
Don't think I do...I'll check. If not, I'll take some.
Old 07-11-2004, 07:57 PM   #7 (permalink)
Defector

Car:
Photos:
from the backseat...
Attached Thumbnails
Alpine 9831 into '98 328 coupe with HK?-dsc01735.jpg  
Old 07-12-2004, 03:46 AM   #8 (permalink)
n00b

Car:
Photos:
thanks man!

that looks good!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com > General Category > Audio and Electronics