Alarm settings problem - BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com
Audio and Electronics The place to go to discuss sound systems and show off your I.C.E. along with security systems and radar detectors too!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
#1 (permalink) Old 05-04-2004, 07:12 PM
n00b

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Drewmvshs is an unknown quantity at this point
(Thread Starter)
I dont know if I should put this kind of question here, but here it is. I have a 1998 528i and when I arm the car it makes a sound like a bird or something, well someone with a 98 528i told me they changed their settings to instead of chirping it just beeps like other bmw models and like lexuses and stuff. He said he cant remember how to do it, can anyone help me?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 (permalink) Old 05-04-2004, 07:15 PM
1st Gear Member

mostwired is an unknown quantity at this point
I think your current setup makes alarm chirp sound through the alarm siren. If you access your alarm unit (I think in 528 it's under the rear seat - although may be under the glovebox), there is a DIP switch on old units to select either car horn or a siren. Switch to car horn, and you should be all set.
#3 (permalink) Old 05-05-2004, 11:27 PM

Dirty_Tool has a reputation beyond repute Dirty_Tool has a reputation beyond repute Dirty_Tool has a reputation beyond repute Dirty_Tool has a reputation beyond repute Dirty_Tool has a reputation beyond repute Dirty_Tool has a reputation beyond repute Dirty_Tool has a reputation beyond repute Dirty_Tool has a reputation beyond repute Dirty_Tool has a reputation beyond repute Dirty_Tool has a reputation beyond repute Dirty_Tool has a reputation beyond repute
I better jump in here because the alarm siren on an e39 body style 5 series is under the right rear fender liner. There is no alarm module under the rear seat, the alarm module is incorporated into the ZKE general module which is under/behind the glovebox. There is no option which will allow you to use the vehicles horn and trying to hook a different siren into the system may cause damage. I would cpmapre your chirp with another "like car" if possible and if yours sounds different then look into replacing your siren with a factory part.

DT

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com > General Category > Audio and Electronics