Alarm / Remote start - BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com
BMW Forum BMW Forum

Auto Insurance

» Featured Product
Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com > General Category > Audio and Electronics
Register Home Forum Active Topics Gallery / Showroom Auto Loans Garage Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Auto EscrowInsurance

Audio and Electronics The place to go to discuss sound systems and show off your I.C.E. along with security systems and radar detectors too!

BimmerWerkz.com is the premier BMW Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-28-2004, 08:47 PM   #1 (permalink)
1st Gear Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Car:
Posts: 119
Photos:
leibniz is an unknown quantity at this point
I'm looking at this from ebay:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewI...5702061627&rd=1

Anyone ever install something like this? It doesn't look too easy, but I then again, I don't really know. It would be the cat's ass if it isn't too much to get installed...

Opinions? ...

leibniz is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 05-28-2004, 09:34 PM   #2 (permalink)
You Can Has A Custom Title!!
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: Eugene Oregon
Car: 2008 128i
Posts: 2,718
Photos:
007ben is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via AIM to 007ben Send a message via Yahoo to 007ben
stellar has a simmialr system what will be closer to plug-n-play.
__________________
2008 128i Jetblack
007ben is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2004, 11:45 PM   #3 (permalink)
1st Gear Member
 
TeeUp's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Sacramento, CA
Car: 2002 X5 3.0i and 2007 X5 3.0i
Posts: 288
Photos:
TeeUp is an unknown quantity at this point
yeah,,, for just a little more $$ too.

however, if you come to think of it, you'll ultimately save more if you go get the bavauto's stellar system.

since it is plug-and-play, it is something you can DIY and save you around $100 in labor cost for installing that alarm system you are looking at.
TeeUp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2004, 11:16 AM   #4 (permalink)
You Can Has A Custom Title!!
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: Eugene Oregon
Car: 2008 128i
Posts: 2,718
Photos:
007ben is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via AIM to 007ben Send a message via Yahoo to 007ben
ya. but there may still be some labor to add the extra sensors and features that do come with the stellar. but the basic function/installation is easy. the rest would mostly just be running wires to where they go with sensors on the other ends...
__________________
2008 128i Jetblack
007ben is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2004, 11:33 AM   #5 (permalink)
1st Gear Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Car:
Posts: 119
Photos:
leibniz is an unknown quantity at this point
OK. Thanks guys.

I tend to agree and have come to the conclusion that it would be a bad idea to get that one off ebay if for no other reason than the install headache. I'm not a technician, nor electrician, therefore the plug and play model would adapt much nicer to my lack of experience in installing these things.

I'm looking at the BMWSTX model off bavauto.com It looks good.

Question: Can I assume that my '97 328i is "prewired" for this? How can I confirm? I assume that the connectors would likely be under the dash; but how to confirm they will be the correct ones, assuming I find an open connector... i.e. specific number of wires, etc?

I'd like to think there's a 95% probability that everything would work as described. I'd just like to get that last 5% by confirming the existance of the prewired harness for it...

Anyone?

Thanks!
Happy
leibniz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2004, 11:43 AM   #6 (permalink)
You Can Has A Custom Title!!
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: Eugene Oregon
Car: 2008 128i
Posts: 2,718
Photos:
007ben is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via AIM to 007ben Send a message via Yahoo to 007ben
Check the trunk for a sticker that says prewired for BMW alarm.
I am pretty sure that all after '93ish are all prewired for an alarms.
__________________
2008 128i Jetblack
007ben is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2004, 03:42 PM   #7 (permalink)
Defector
 
El Presidente's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: Long Island
Car:
Posts: 5,973
Photos:
El Presidente is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via AIM to El Presidente
correct. starting way back in the early 90s BMW prewired all the cars for cd and alarm.
__________________
<span style='color:gray'><span style='font-family:Courier'>1995 e36 3 Series RIP
1999 e46 3 Series BURN IN HELL
2000 MR-S Roadster= Current</span></span>
El Presidente is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2004, 04:46 PM   #8 (permalink)
1st Gear Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Car:
Posts: 119
Photos:
leibniz is an unknown quantity at this point
Excellent.

Thanks much for the info!

Happy
leibniz is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply

  BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com > General Category > Audio and Electronics


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
remote start kc740i Audio and Electronics 3 11-09-2005 09:35 PM
Remote Start help?! 007ben Audio and Electronics 9 09-30-2005 09:35 AM
Replacement Alarm Remote shandy Audio and Electronics 3 03-13-2005 07:05 AM
Alarm Doesn't Chirp When Programing Remote Rooz Audio and Electronics 4 01-16-2005 01:37 PM
remote start ds16 3-Series (E36) 5 02-06-2004 11:01 AM

Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v3.2.2

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:33 AM.



Powered by vBulletin® Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.3.2
Garage Plus vBulletin Plugins by Drive Thru Online, Inc.